No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2007-01-14, 10:46am

Default Keeping encased ASK glass from Cracking is easy shmeezy

I found the cure!!!
Dilute your ASK glass!!
I've been using Lausha and mixing the on a metal punty. I mix one color of ASK with the same amound of Lausha clear... half and half . Mix it up really good and pull a new rod of stringer.. It really makes you special glass last longer too.
Been working great for me!! I've made several beads with this method and none of them have cracked. I search for cracks under a flora pin light.
Once you get your mix into a rod or stinger, Do what you want just like using regular ASK without the mix, then encase it..

Chow baby!!! Have fun!!!
Old 2007-01-14, 4:57pm

What is a flora pin light? Is that a polorized light that will show stress cracks? For the life of me I can't remember the technical name, ack.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2007-01-14, 5:19pm

Yeah, Pretty much the same thing but mine is used in an Dr's office to see scratches and cuts in the eye... Works the same way sept the flora is more like a blacklight.
Old 2007-01-17, 6:48am
Always with a smile!

Thanks Sandy,
I haven't had any trouble, but then I rarely encase! hmmm
btw, I love your dog in the photo--a schnauzer? We had 3 Schnauzers-- they are such great, loyal dogs! They all lived a long and wonderful life. They've been gone a few years now as we were traveling so much with our SCUBA business. However, when the time comes that we are not traveling so much, we will have Schnauzers back in our lives. I didn't find them to be great swimmers-- they fell in the pool a couple of times, we finally put a fence around it to dog proof it because they could barely keep their noses above water? We used to put life jackets on them when we took them out on the sailboat!
hahaha--great sight that was
Jill

) and
)
Old 2007-01-17, 10:12am

Hi Jill, I always hear about people having so much trouble encasing ASK. I've been toying with ways to keep that from happening because I make seahorse and a lot of my bead is encased. Love using ASK for the background underwater plant life. Just thought it might help someone if they had the desire to encase ASK again. I'd hate to see such an awesome glass not having the oppotunity to be used to it's full potential.

Yeah, Mitch is a Schnauzer. We have two of them. Our little girl is in the Kayak with my husband who took the pic..
We keep life vests for us and the babies in the boats at all times. Mitch is a great swimmer. He loves the water, and loves to ride the rapids with us. His jacket is under him. It was fairly hot that day. We keep our little girls vest on her though, all the time. She's 15 years old and can't swim at all plus she's old. She sleeps on kayaking rides.. Mitch on the other hand likes to navigate! LOL

When it's a clam day with light air, we let them sail the Hobie with us and both wear their vest as so do we. In Texas, it's the law.
What kind of sail boat do you have? We sail an 18 ft Hobie Cat with twin daggers. Randy, my DH and myself do a lot of Regatta's and he races in the Iron man twice a year. Fun fun dun!!
Where are you???

Last edited by slcuniques; 2007-01-17 at 10:14am.