LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2008-02-16, 8:22pm
Anyone need some spacers?

Default How to Make a Chain Bracelet for your Pandora Style Big Hole Beads

I was at a show with a friend and realized there was a need for an easy to make bracelet that people can place the euro slider beads on and put together their own bracelet to wear home. Many people who go to shows sell these beads and could sell a lot more of them if they had a something that would work well with the beads. My answer to this is a simple idea that I hope you like and use.

Here are the supplies you will need for just the bracelet
I used sterling silver but these could be fun out of copper or any other metal.

2-12mm lobster claws, you may want a swivel end on one of these it is up to you.

3.7 mm rolo chain or you can get 4mm and pull it though a draw plate to make it small enough to go through the threaded beads that the euro bracelets use. If you aren’t going to use the euro beads then you won’t need to do anything extra to the 4mm chain. You can also get oval rolo chain and I think this would work beautifully. Understand that you can pull most any good quality chain that has soldered links through a drawplate (often used for Viking Knit) and make it the size you need. You can purchase this chain by the foot many places I don’t know where the best place to purchase it is maybe you could help me out with this one. I will tell you that good old Hobby Lobby has sterling silver bracelets made out of the rolo chain for $10.00 and if you wait for a sale it is an easy way to get the chain although maybe not as cheap as by the foot. These bracelets are 7.5 inches long and this is a good size to start with.

This is easy!

If you have purchased chain that is bigger than your bead holes or you want this to fit any euro beads it will need to fit a bead with a 3.7 mm hole or bigger. The threaded euro beads fit this size. To sell I wouldn’t make the chain any bigger than this so your customer can purchase any other euro beads for different themes. If you purchased your chain by the foot pull all of it though a draw plate at one time then cut to size. Remember that your clasps will add almost an inch to your bracelet size so don't cut until you try it on or measure for length.

Simply take one of the lobster claws and place it at one end of the chain. Choose a swivel claw for this end if you like. Soldering these it makes the bracelet more secure. There are plenty of tutorials and books on this so I am not going to go into soldering here.

Take the second lobster claw and make it into a charm by adding some bits n pieces onto the loop end. As a little added touch I used a heart shaped one for this but a regular one will work just fine. The bead, shells, crystal, charm needs to be either galley wrapped onto the soldered jump ring or as with a charm simply attach it with another jump ring and solder. You could just use the second lobster claw with nothing on it but it is a nice touch and it does have a loop that isn’t used for anything else.

Once you get this, all made you can thread your bracelet up with beads and goodies. Then simply clip one of your lobster claws onto the blank end of the chain to use as a fastener for the other end of the chain

Extra Charms

If you want you can make charms on big jump rings that slide onto the chain or use the heart shaped clips so you can place them after the beads are on. Small lobster claws can be clip into the chain and keep the beads from shifting to one side if it’s not full.

You can patina the bracelet at this point if you like and then tumble it. I haven’t done this to my bracelet yet but I will soon, it gives the bracelets a nice look. You in no way have to do use patina to have a beautiful finished product. It can also be made without soldering but remember those of us who like to wear sweaters love to have the bracelets soldered so they don’t catch on our clothing. I do have a tutorial for basic chip soldering if anyone needs it sent to them just let me know.

This is just a start to this tut, tidbits to get you on your way. I want to take better photos , maybe we will actualy have some sunlight in Michigan tomorrow.

With more people and more ideas I can see these being amazing! I love this type of form because then we get to see what everyone else trys and the project only gets better and better so if you make one or have one already please show it off in here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Beadbug; 2008-02-17 at 12:09pm.
Old 2008-02-16, 8:44pm

Thanks Tracy! I might have to take a break on vessels & give this a try!

Jen
Old 2008-02-17, 12:10pm

Nothing to say?

Last edited by Beadbug; 2008-02-17 at 1:04pm.
Old 2008-02-17, 1:31pm
Enjoying Life!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bead_bug View Post
Nothing to say?
Hey Tracy,
Great job on the tut! I read it last night, but was too tired to post. I am planning on making myself one of these bracelets, especially after seeing yours in person yesterday. Where do you get your big hole silver beads from? I know Chris Fischer has some, but anyone else?
I appreciate you sharing your knowlege about this.
Thanks!
Laura

~ SRA #T62
Old 2008-02-17, 1:32pm

Thanks Tracy for sharing this!
Jenny

Old 2008-02-17, 1:55pm

Chris is the only one I have ever seen have them except every once in a while I will pick up one or two at a bead store. Not sure why there arn't more out there? Most of my BHB are threaded to go on the euro bracelets.

Old 2008-02-17, 2:35pm
Your Royal Fritness

Tracy,

Awesome Tutorial, I love your idea for the clasp! That bracelet ROCKS. I will be making one of these in the near future.

Thanks for the tutorial!

Dawn

Old 2008-02-17, 3:30pm

What a great idea! I make "troll-type" bracelets with foxtail chain from Rio Grande and a double clasp attached with a snapeez jumpring. I have found large holed silver beads at Nina Designs, Aunties, and INM crystals, if that helps any.

Amy

Old 2008-02-17, 4:13pm

Thanks all.

Amy, Thanks for the info on where to get silver beads. I am going to look right now.

How did you like the Snapeez jumprings? I have seen them but not purchased any???

Foxtail chain would be perfect since it is nice and round already and would be much stronger than the rolo chain.

Old 2008-02-17, 9:08pm
going crazy

Good directions Tracey - and the bracelet looks even better in person! I just joined the pandora bead exchange, so I'll have to start looking for the chain and claws now.
Thanks for the tutorial.

My button mandrel listed here!
Old 2008-02-18, 4:13am
Who me?

Way cool - thanks for sharing - I have some silver chain some place - I second the vote for INM Crystals.

Gotta go find my chain.
Old 2008-02-18, 9:40am
Button Queen

I saw the bracelet in question on Saturday! Love it Tracy.... and thanks for sharing!
Old 2008-02-18, 9:52am
Princess Odd . . . lot

I've admired your bracelet for months . . . Great tut woman!!
Old 2008-02-18, 10:02am
I'm not Barbie.

I have quite a number of sterling big hole beads (1/4 inch hole) on my website!
Old 2008-02-18, 11:40am

Thanks Mary Jo and Barb, I guess you will all be looking into the big hole silver on Donna's site! I did go look and she has some nice ones.

Last edited by Beadbug; 2008-02-18 at 11:43am.
Old 2008-02-18, 12:06pm

Thanks so much for this tutorial. I know this is a big hit! I really appreciate this tutorial and the savings, too
Old 2008-02-18, 1:01pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I'd love to see this without all the beads on it.
I can't see the chain underneath .

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-02-18, 1:12pm

You can choose any chain style a more oval chain would be nice.

Last edited by Beadbug; 2008-02-18 at 1:22pm.
Old 2008-02-18, 9:32pm
Present tense

That's a cool idea! Thanks for sharing!

|
|

- non-glassy de-stash (shoes, books, yarn, Coach)
Old 2008-02-19, 6:49am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bead_bug View Post
Thanks all.

Amy, Thanks for the info on where to get silver beads. I am going to look right now.

How did you like the Snapeez jumprings? I have seen them but not purchased any???

Foxtail chain would be perfect since it is nice and round already and would be much stronger than the rolo chain.
To be honest, I cannot tell much difference between the Snapeez jumprings and regular jumprings, but I'm taking their word on their strength. They are a nice heavyweight (at least 18 gauge) and they seem to meet up very smoothly. I tried soldering the jumpring between the clasps, but it is difficult to do without ruining the clasp mechanism. So far I haven't had any complaints or returns.

Amy

Old 2008-02-19, 2:49pm
Broken

I have tried the 3.7mm rolo chain and it really binds up. It's just too tight I think, can you explain the draw plate technique?

Old 2008-02-19, 3:24pm
going crazy

This link is about viking knit. There is a video on the lower right corner and at the end of it they show how a draw plate is used. I haven't done it, but I imagine it's the same technique.

My button mandrel listed here!
Old 2008-02-19, 3:33pm
Your Royal Fritness

Barb, the video was good. I can't wait to try it at the next meeting

Old 2008-02-19, 3:37pm
Broken

I don't have the strength to pull the chain through to do that.

Old 2008-02-20, 5:15am

Thank you Tracy for the tutorial! I make primarily bracelets with my beads and had not thought of using chain...big Aha! moment... thanks for sharing your techniques...

For those having trouble drawing chain through a drawplate, whether metal or wood, use some beeswax on the chain... so much easier, cleans up with hot water and smells really good.

Sals
Old 2008-02-20, 9:00am
Superkitty

Tracy, I like that bracelet a lot! I think even more than my Pandora because you can hang charms from it. I'm going to give this one a try. Thanks for posting the tutorial!
Old 2008-02-20, 11:41am

Thanks for the tutorial - gotta try it too! Question: can you make your own draw plate? Does any one have thoughts on that?

Sue

Old 2008-02-20, 12:50pm

For a draw plate just drill some various sized holes in a piece of half inch or thicker hardwood.

I love the idea of bees wax and if you happen to need some I have it for sale in the Bead Classifieds. You do need to work your way down the holes not just put it though the hole at the size you need. I hope that makes sense.

Old 2008-03-08, 2:53pm

I'm going to be give the chain I have lying around a good looking at. It would be nice to use it for something other than hanging on my doorknobs.

For a drawplate just a piece of hardwood will do? Oh happy days. I can afford that!

And thanks to Karen for asking to see a picture without the beads on the chain. I saw this tutorial once before but couldn't quite figure it out. Of course I didn't think to ask to see it without the beads. Duh!

Thumbs up!

Thanks for the tutorial.

Old 2008-03-10, 4:11am

If you have photos of your new bracelets please post them it would be fun to see them made up with different types of chain.