LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2010-04-29, 8:17am
Yup.

Default The Joy of Stringer: First three tutorials are ready!

I've been thinking about how to share the joy of stringer for quite a while. I figure that while I'm far from knowing everything I want to know about stringer, I would like to share what I have learned from focusing on stringer over the last few years. Recently, I settled on a format I can handle: A series of on-going, dontaion appreciated tutorials. Each tutorial will focus on the details of creating one specific line, in addition to sections on practicing, pulling stringer, fixing errors, Q&A and whatever else you and I come up with. These tutorials are designed for soft glass lampworkers at any skill level.

Here's how it works: I write tutorials about making straight lines with stringer on lampworked soft glass beads. You read the tutorials, try them, hopefully donate if you find them valuable, and ask me questions that I might use to update the Question & Answer section or the tutorial. I keep writing more tutorials as my travel, production and mental schedule allows, informing you of new tutorials and updates through the newsletter. And the whole process repeats... You'll notice these tutorials are websites, not PDF files. That's because I want to be able to continually edit and improve the tutorials so you will want to return the website regularly to see!

So go on, check it out! Visit www.jcherrell.com/stringerjoy.htm to check out the first three sections: Pulling Stringer, Practice Tips and Ring Around A Bead! Try them out, let me know what you think and show off your beads!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
Old 2010-04-29, 9:37am
I speak Murrini!

Wowwwwww! It's all just awesome! Thanks so much for sharing these great tips with us! I'm happy to show my appreciation with donations...what another great idea!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-04-29, 11:47am
Yup.

Thanks, De!!!! So appreciated... I hope the tutorials are awesome and that people ask lots of questions, tell me which tutorial they want to see next, and post pictures of work!!!

~
~
Old 2010-04-29, 12:10pm

i'm excited to take these to the studio and try 'em out this weekend!

handmade with my headphones on...
Old 2010-04-29, 12:22pm
Hobby Junkie

JC, you So rock!!!!!! I'll definitely throw some donation $ your way when I get paid next week. I hope to practice Ring Around The Bead this weekend. I'm good at pulling stringers, not good at making then look pretty on the bead.

Old 2010-04-29, 12:47pm

Just got these, after looking through them quickly, I'm glad to make a donation. What a great thing to do. Thank you.

Jo
Old 2010-04-29, 1:22pm
Oooooh Sparkly!

Thank You so much JC !
Old 2010-04-29, 1:27pm

Default Thanks JC

Thanks for doing these skill building tuts, JC. We have all been in awe of your stringer control - am sure the tut tips will be v. useful! Hope everyone donates so you'll keep doing more. I'm happy to proof anytime.
Old 2010-04-29, 2:01pm
Yup.

Thank YOU all! Your donations mean a lot... Thank you. I hope the tutorials become very useful to everyone!

~
~

Last edited by JCHerrellGlass; 2010-04-29 at 4:48pm.
Old 2010-04-29, 11:38pm

Thank you. Great tutorials. Couldnīt resist buying your enamelstutorial also

Keepīm coming, they will be greatly appreciated

R#115
Old 2010-04-30, 2:46am
Knob Creek Glass

They are wonderful. And in the process I won three, so far, of JC's beads on e-bay!
Old 2010-04-30, 4:29am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

Hi JC! Awesome tutorials!!! Glad to donate - I hope you will continue to share with us!!! Cheers! Joan

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2010-04-30, 4:45am

Just glanced at it. I look for forward reading them this weekend. Thank you for sharing, I will donate as well. You are the stringer queen.
Old 2010-04-30, 6:49am

They look fantastic! Can't wait to print them out and try them!
Old 2010-04-30, 7:00am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Sent you a donation JC. Thank you so much for these. I have had so much trouble trying to find my sweet spot, never thought about approaching it the way you describe. I will certainly be looking forward to the next installment!

Old 2010-04-30, 10:26am
Yup.

Thank you all so much for your donations!

Thanks for buying the Rainbow and Enamel tutorials too (I'm going to take them off the market soon because I'm sooo done selling tutorials...)

Thank you for your eBay wins, Barb - YAY your enthusiasm is the bomb-diggity!

You guys are awesome!

~
~
Old 2010-04-30, 2:02pm

I am so glad I caught this thread! I just bought your rainbow tutorial, and I love your new stringer tutorial! Thanks so much for being so generous: )

Old 2010-05-02, 8:11am
Yup.

Thank you very much, Dawn!

~
~
Old 2010-05-03, 7:57am
Yup.

Hey guys! Just wanted to let you know that the website has crashed a few times in the last week. If you click for some Stringer Joy and get nothing... that's what's going on. Click again in a few minutes and it will likely work. I'm working on finding out why this is happening and what to do to resolve it (though the server people say it's resolved - until it happens again). Thanks for checking, not seeing the site, being concerned, trying to PM me about here through my full PM inbox, and trying again. I will now take care of my PM inbox...

~
~
Old 2010-05-03, 12:30pm

I want to try them after I have some money to donate.

Old 2010-05-03, 12:38pm
AKA: Noodlesaurus

Looked at the 1st and 3rd... great info....Looking forward to the others to follow... what a wonderful fresh idea of donations, this way everyone can take part and share what they can....

or
,~Punties, Mandrels,Beads.....GTT Phantom....
Old 2010-05-03, 7:03pm
Anyone need some spacers?

What wonderful info, the part about using the plum was a light bulb moment for me, I was happy to donate and am looking forward to more info. I'm off to practice this until I can do it in my sleep so I am ready for the next installment.

Old 2010-05-04, 8:52am
Yup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylsart View Post
I want to try them after I have some money to donate.
No!! Please don't wait to use them! Donate what you feel, when you feel. By all means, please don't let money keep you from using the tutorials. That's why they're donation tutorials... for everyone to use!!! It makes me sad when I see a tutorial for sale that I want to know about but have no tutorial money to spend.... Not for the Joy of Stringer, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodlesaurus View Post
what a wonderful fresh idea of donations, this way everyone can take part and share what they can....
Thank you.... and exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadbug View Post
I'm off to practice this until I can do it in my sleep so I am ready for the next installment.
Thank you!!! That's a very exciting thing, your practicing!!!

~
~
Old 2010-05-05, 6:21am
one day at a time

I looked through the first one, and wow! I'm looking forward to seeing more, so as soon as I can I will be making donations as well.
Old 2010-05-10, 2:54pm

These are wonderful JC - thanks so much for making them available!
Old 2010-05-14, 1:21pm
Bead Crone

JC, your stringer tutorials have helped me tremendously, in only one torching session! I can already see the light at the end of the "struggling with stringer" tunnel...thank you! And the pink bead I was recently lucky enough to win on eBay is great inspiration; my fiance was even amazed: "How does she get such straight lines on a curved surface?!"

Thank you again!
Old 2010-05-14, 1:50pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

I won JC's prairie feather bead on eBay which I did NOT expect to win. I bid on it because it didn't have any bids and I wanted to give it a kick-start. The stringer work on that bead is just incredible and the color pallet is subtle and beautiful.

That bead blew my husband away. Not just the fine stringer work but esp. the colors. I do hope you continue with the prairie series JC.

Old 2010-05-20, 9:37am
Yup.

Rock you guys, all! Thank you so much. So glad you liked the bead, Astrid!!

I made a survey, a really short one, and I hope you'll all take it and share so we can all learn together!! https://app.icontact.com/icp/sub/sur...557&cid=572051

~
~
Old 2010-05-20, 12:57pm
Looking for Spock's Brain

OMG! I just said in the family room that I'd break a toe just to have your stringer control, then I come in here and you're giving free tuts!

I am so excited! Thank you. Thank you Thank you.

Joyce

Old 2010-05-20, 1:31pm
Looking for Spock's Brain

Well, went over there & ended up buying your Rainbow tut. Can't wait to get it.

I'm looking forward to seeing one on how you do angles. Your Prairie style beads are so impressive.

Joyce