Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-03-11, 2:12pm

Default Rubino Oro color variation

A while back I received an order of rubino oro from Frantz and I thought it looked oddly different but put it up to wait for warm enough weather to torch in the studio. During the recent sale I bought a couple more pounds of the rubino from Frantz and it arrived today. This glass is beautifully pink, about medium, but definitely pink. The first lot has to be compared side by side with a medium amber to tell it's even the slightest salmon type pink and then I can only tell with fluorescent light, barely. I haven't worked with the rubino color enough to know if I got the wrong glass from Frantz or if it is just the vagaries of handmade glass batch color. Has anyone seen this much difference in rubino before? Sorry I don't have an image to upload yet. If it is just a difference in batch any thoughts as to what I might end up with when it's melted? If it isn't rubino should I expect to be able to return it or am I stuck with some very expensive amber? Thanks for any input you might have.
Old 2011-03-11, 2:19pm

I have some orginal Rubino and some from a couple of years ago too, I haven't bought any in recent years as I still have pounds of these. The first orginal batch that I have is dark red transparent, the second batch that I have is clear and strikes red in the flame. Can you take pictures of yours side by side. It might be easier for us to see what your describing. I can get pics of mine and post this evening.
Old 2011-03-11, 2:25pm
I'm a lilac!

With rubino, you don't know what it's going to look like until you've melted it... I'd do a melt test with the amber-ish batch to see what it comes out as.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-03-11, 2:40pm

I'm going to get my computer guru DH (he builds them) to photo the new shipment of rubino alongside the amber looking batch and some I have from awhile back that is a lighter shade of pink so that you can compare the color of the three sets. I will also put a cane of the amber, as close to the same thickness as I can find, next to the amber/rubino. If it means anything, the amber/rubino rods are on the thick side, just a bit bigger around than most of the other stuff, like maybe the next size increment up. Thank you for the offer to help Donna. And I will try melting some of it after this weekend, Kalera. Any suggestions for that like what color to put it with, or not put it with?
Old 2011-03-11, 3:07pm
Live and Let Live

Avoid Ivory!

Old 2011-03-11, 3:20pm

I recently had some rubino compatibility issues and have been working on blog posting (rare for me) about the differences. I didn't have any amber but I did have some completely colorless and clear, as well as a variety of reds/pinks in between. I also included some of the reichenbach 104 colors as these are a good alternative to rubino if needed. It all came out beautiful in it's own way.

So as suggested you should melt some and test it out.

Old 2011-03-11, 3:29pm

I've got at least four different shades of Rubino, from almost clear to deep ruby pink. There's variation in the way that they work as well so you'll need to just test it out and see what it does. Count on Ivory or any of the Coral or coral-related colors to give you a grey to black reaction product where they contact Rubino.

Robert
Old 2011-03-11, 3:51pm
Newfoundland lover!

I have a batch just like that. Mine is definitely Rubino. It seems harder to strike-at least for me it is.

Lynx, tanked propane, M-10 oxy and refurb oxy -5.
Old 2011-03-11, 4:06pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamsincolor View Post
I'm going to get my computer guru DH (he builds them) to photo the new shipment of rubino alongside the amber looking batch and some I have from awhile back that is a lighter shade of pink so that you can compare the color of the three sets. I will also put a cane of the amber, as close to the same thickness as I can find, next to the amber/rubino. If it means anything, the amber/rubino rods are on the thick side, just a bit bigger around than most of the other stuff, like maybe the next size increment up. Thank you for the offer to help Donna. And I will try melting some of it after this weekend, Kalera. Any suggestions for that like what color to put it with, or not put it with?
I would just dot it onto white so you can get a good sense of the color. Each batch I have ever gotten has been very different, and sometimes what it looks like in rod form seems to have little bearing on what it looks like once melted and struck; I have some that is almost bluish-clear that strikes deep ruby pink, and some that's pink in the rod that's a kind of pale washed-out version once worked up.

Old 2011-03-11, 4:19pm

I get the feeling that it probably is some incarnation of rubino and that I should just look forward to some beads that will be a variation of rubino coloring. Thank everyone for helping me not feel like I got stuck with something and that maybe it will turn out to be a diamond instead of some lumps of coal. When I try it out I will go by the general advice for rubino and see what I get. Definitely none of the colors that make rubino turn into liver spots. I'll start with white and clear and go from there. I will post pictures of the rods and color combos I end up with. Who knows, maybe it will turn out to be some kind of apricot looking pink. I agree, Kalera that what you see isn't always what you get when it comes to flaming glass. I'm glad I liked science in high school because you almost need to be a chemist to keep track of all the reactions. I just wish ordering glass didn't make me feel like I just booked a trip to Vegas everytime........
Old 2011-03-11, 4:37pm
אהבה אני ישו

I like Rubino with almost anything... slurp. If you make your own goldstone stringer, try using Rubino instead of clear - amazing.

And I concur - I used to work for a glass supplier and over a 5 year period I have seen Rubino in many, many shades.

Believer
Wife
Mother
Grandmother
Student
Artist

Wishes the hot flashes she has were only the kind that occur at her torch...

Old 2011-03-11, 5:21pm

That sounds like a great combo to try. It should be interesting to see what I get combining this version of rubino with goldstone. What about the blue version of goldstone? I forgot whether you can put rubino with silver leaf or foil. Any suggestions? How would a rubino silver stringer go over?
Old 2011-03-11, 5:32pm

I want to say very icky. You'd have to put a layer of clear over the leaf and then a layer of rubino. Silver and rubino don't mix.

However if you make a take a lump of goldstone and encase it with the rubino you do get a heavenly pink sparkly stringer ...

Old 2011-03-11, 6:03pm
geekitude on two wheels

I agree, the rubino i got 10 years + ago was practically clear, I've seen everything from that to cranberry, murky and clear, blue or purple leaning colors. Until they're stuck, you really have no idea what you've got.

Another thing to consider with rubino is that you want some opaque underneath it - a solid rubino bead doesn't look so hot, but a white heart looks fabulous. Some other colors that look great under rubino are periwinkle, lavender and rose.
Old 2011-03-11, 6:14pm
אהבה אני ישו

Oh, and another neato quality of Rubino is that it is one of those colors that will spread and "push" other colors around when heated really well. I love to put tiny dots on an opaque that reticulates and watch the fun.

The dots on this little guy are Rubino first and green on top - the Rubino causes the reaction.

Believer
Wife
Mother
Grandmother
Student
Artist

Old 2011-03-11, 6:49pm
Lampworkaholic!

Rubino can be used on silver leaf over a transparent color and it pushes the silver around, making little windows, Michael Barley is the master at this.

Also check out the color reactions here:

http://users.zoominternet.net/~beadg...ce_effects.jpg

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-03-11, 7:22pm
I'm a lilac!

Yes, you can get some amazing peacock reactions with rubino dots on silver leaf over cobalt blue, especially encased!

Old 2011-03-11, 9:41pm

I have the feeling that I will go through 5 pounds of it just finding out all the possible reactions. How does it react with the reduction colors of frit? Any candidates there or are they all no-no's ? Does it play nice with copper or palladium foil?
Old 2011-03-12, 1:37am

Rubino plays nicely with palladium. If you want a silver look without the silver reactions, use palladium.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2011-03-12, 1:39am

BTW, Rubino is colored primarily with gold, that is why they call it Rubino Oro. Generally speaking, the gold reaction on ivory is not as nice as the silver reaction on ivory, IMHO

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2011-03-12, 8:15am
Mary Lockwood

Nature of the beast.

Sometimes the best looking rubino after it's struck comes from the most hopeless looking rods. Might end up that you like that first batch even better than what you just bought.

I'm just awed that you bought several pounds at one time. LOL I've never bought more than 1/4# of rubino at one time. I'm too cheap.

~~Mary

Old 2011-03-12, 8:47am
Glass-aholic

Quote:
That sounds like a great combo to try. It should be interesting to see what I get combining this version of rubino with goldstone. What about the blue version of goldstone? I forgot whether you can put rubino with silver leaf or foil. Any suggestions? How would a rubino silver stringer go over?
The blue version is chrome flakes, so you should be fine using them together.
Actually sound like a purple that I have not tried!!! LOL I PURPLE

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2011-03-12, 11:01am

Thanks for the input Jaci. I was thinking that a stringer of rubino and the blue aventurine might give me some kind of purple sparkle.

Mary, the several pounds purchase happened because it was 50 % off at Frantz. Combine that with the direction pink prices are going and it wasn't hard to talk myself into it. Not that it's ever hard to come up with a good excuse to buy glass...I'll pass up shoe shopping for glass shopping any day.
Old 2011-03-12, 12:53pm

I've purchased Rubino from several different vendors throughout the years and every single batch looks different. I remember getting clear Rubino and thinking, "this must be a mistake." Those clear rods when melted were the most beautiful shade of pink! What a nice surprise!
Old 2011-03-12, 2:36pm
אהבה אני ישו

Quote:
Not that it's ever hard to come up with a good excuse to buy glass...I'll pass up shoe shopping for glass shopping any day.
A woman after my own heart...

Believer
Wife
Mother
Grandmother
Student
Artist

Old 2011-03-12, 3:00pm
Bead maker and bead buyer

I got some of the clear Rubino, and actually encased a psyche bead with it, thinking it was clear. The bead turned a burnt orange.
Old 2011-03-12, 4:01pm

It's pretty easy to confuse the colors of glass rods in the cold form, but I have everything arranged just so...my DH tells people that they touch my stuff at the risk of a painful death. I have him fooled into thinking that I can lay my hands on anything I want in the dark. But I do have a large percentage of everything labeled. I just hate that it's beginning to feel like housework or some form of OCD if I have to spend more time taking care of the glass than I spend sacrificing it to the fire gods.

Mellisa I actually hate shopping for shoes, but I'm not telling DH that.

Andrea
Old 2011-03-12, 6:50pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand Beads View Post
BTW, Rubino is colored primarily with gold, that is why they call it Rubino Oro. Generally speaking, the gold reaction on ivory is not as nice as the silver reaction on ivory, IMHO
Actually it has a very low gold content, it only takes parts per million to get the color. There is a whole lot of lead, though, and that's responsible for the Ivory reactions.

Robert
Old 2011-03-14, 11:38am

Take a look at what Michael Barley does with Rubino and silver!
He's a genius!
-Michael Malone as Jean Claude Claudel
Old 2011-03-14, 1:48pm
אהבה אני ישו

Quote:
It's pretty easy to confuse the colors of glass rods in the cold form, but I have everything arranged just so...my DH tells people that they touch my stuff at the risk of a painful death. I have him fooled into thinking that I can lay my hands on anything I want in the dark. But I do have a large percentage of everything labeled. I just hate that it's beginning to feel like housework or some form of OCD if I have to spend more time taking care of the glass than I spend sacrificing it to the fire gods.

Mellisa I actually hate shopping for shoes, but I'm not telling DH that.

Andrea
I pretty much hate shopping for ANYTHING except glass and related items.

Believer
Wife
Mother
Grandmother
Student
Artist