Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-08-15, 2:48pm
Queen Tut ;)

Default Bead release slime...?

Ok,

So I've been trying different bead releases, as I have been unhappy with the way the one I've used for the past year has been holding up as I work on larger, more elaborate beads.

One issue I noticed is with Dip 'n Go Sludge. I normally take my beads off and leave em in the "to clean" bucket until I get around to it. Since I tried Dip 'n Go, a film of "slime" is on everything. I never had this problem with Fusion or my trial jar of Best Bead Release.

Is that simply how Dip 'n Go is? Or is this a problem that shouldn't be?

Just got a jar of Bucket o' Mud to try, but I am not one to waste perfectly fine bead release. For instance, I now use my remaining Fusion and Best BR for smaller, quicker beads...rather than ones I press and work for 45+ minutes.

If someone can give me some info on this, I'd love ya forever. Or at least like you a whole bunch

-Jenne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-08-15, 10:37pm
one day at a time

An alien invasion??

I've had algae grow in some before, I think it was a old jar of Hotline. Is it greenish or blackish??
Old 2011-08-16, 5:27am
Peerless Thread Killer

Hi Jenne,
I use Dip-n-Go Sludge and don't have an issue with slime. However, my beads are dry until I clean them. I know you are near me (and it's very humid here-I have to keep everything in the fridge or it molds.) Could them sitting in water be the issue? I even thin the bead release with well-water, not distilled and don't have a problem.

Old 2011-08-16, 9:27am
Queen Tut ;)

Well, it doesn't really have a color Lisi, just a little dark I suppose...as there is Dip-n-Go floating around.

I wasn't sure if it's because Dip-n-Go seems to almost reconstitute even after annealing, and the other bead releases I've tried just settle to the bottom and wait to be tossed out.

About how much do you thin it out Nina? You're right about humidity, and my basement stays damp...especially with all the storms lately.

I was having trouble also with Dip-n-Go cracking on my last batch of mandrels, when I went to preheat them in the flame. Never have issues with any other release...what am I doing wrong?

-Jenne

Old 2011-08-16, 10:21am
one day at a time

Oh, I thought you meant there was slime in the bottle.
Old 2011-08-16, 10:35am
Live and Let Live

Jenne, I know what you're talking about with the Dip-n-Go and it happens to me too, so I think it's just how the release behaves normally. "Reconstitutes" is the perfect description for it, I think. Just have to wash the outside of the beads after they've sat in the water.

Old 2011-08-16, 2:57pm
burnin' glass just becuz

i'm a long term bead soaker as well - squirt a bit of dish soap in the soaking water and that keeps any slime from growing.

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2011-08-17, 6:48am
Queen Tut ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewdb View Post
i'm a long term bead soaker as well - squirt a bit of dish soap in the soaking water and that keeps any slime from growing.
Was considering adding a little rubbing alcohol but soap sounds better. I will give this a try, thanks

Glad to know I'm not totally crazy and other folks get the slime too

Old 2011-08-17, 8:08am
Peerless Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenne View Post
I wasn't sure if it's because Dip-n-Go seems to almost reconstitute even after annealing, and the other bead releases I've tried just settle to the bottom and wait to be tossed out.

About how much do you thin it out Nina? You're right about humidity, and my basement stays damp...especially with all the storms lately.

I was having trouble also with Dip-n-Go cracking on my last batch of mandrels, when I went to preheat them in the flame. Never have issues with any other release...what am I doing wrong?

-Jenne
I thin it out quite a bit. It's the consistency of heavy cream. I occasionally have a cracking problem, but only with mandrels that I've dipped and left for a few days.