LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-06-28, 10:12am

Default Versital kiln

I was looking for a kiln that I could do beadmaking and also fusing. I was going to get a chilipepper to just make beads but thought if i might want to fuse i should get one that does both.

So I thought I would see what you guys recommend. I would want digatal controler, know more than 15 amp draw 110v, and cost know more than $525.

Also where you would buy it from

Thanks
justin
Old 2007-06-28, 12:05pm

Do have dimensional requirements also?

I have 3 kilns and they all have a different function. Two are Paragons and the last one I just bought is an AIM - both are good quality firebrick kilns.

If you want to fuse also I would recommend a front or top loading firebrick kiln. I have a digital controller that I can program an annealing cycle into. It's worth the convenience.

$525? Hmmmm Depending on how large you want it, you might not be able to pull it off. But look around and see. Try some of these:

http://www.clayking.com
http://www.cdvkiln.com

Hope that helps.
Cindy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-06-28, 1:26pm

AIM 84BD. If you look it up I think you'll be very happy. Does everything you want and it's under $500 with a digital controller. Just don't buy it from VAG.

"Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time." ~Thomas Merton
Old 2007-06-28, 2:04pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I bought a clamshell paragon kiln from Frantz a while ago.
It has two bead doors and an aim controller. I can fit
a buttload of beads inside.
It also opens up like a clamshell, so I can do fusing.
It's been a few years, and it still is the coolest
kiln ever.

Here's the link

http://www.frantzartglass.com/Itemde...132221&eq=&Tp=

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2007-06-28, 2:25pm

I have this one and love it:

Jen Ken Kiln AF3P

http://cgi.ebay.com/Glass-Fusing-Bea...QQcmdZViewItem

In fact I am pretty sure that is who I bought it from even 2 years ago!

I am pretty sure it was less about $500 when I bought it.

-Marie

myBeadWiki - A growing knowledge base of all things bead

Old 2007-06-28, 3:16pm
Lampwork Meditator

I have the Jen Ken also, but without the flip door. I love it. I started out as a fuser and it works great for that. Also great for annealing beads--which is why I'm not getting any fusing done lately!

I got mine from Two Lasses also. It's not digital, so I have to babysit. But I don't mind.

Carlisle mini cc with concentrator
Old 2007-06-28, 10:59pm
Sheila

I have this one and I really love it. It's very well-made and works for both annealing and fusing: http://store.allstainedglass.com/noname33.html. Unfortunately, it's a bit more than you want to spend. However, I think it's worth the higher price. It's all firebrick and it's a solid little kiln. And the controller is really easy to program and use. It does require its own circuit, but it runs on 110.

Old 2007-06-29, 1:05am
Formerly known as LT

If money is not a huge issue check out the paragon F-120 It has a lot of space for beads and you can fuse small plates in it. The door on the front opens really wide and stays up. It also has a bead door in the door. Great kiln and worth the money.

Old 2007-06-29, 1:06am
Formerly known as LT

Oops forgot the link http://glassblowingschool.com/catalo...roducts_id/939

Old 2007-06-29, 3:25am

Default versital kiln

I think Ive made up my mind on the kiln. Thanks for your advice.

I may get the jen-ken B3k kiln. Next time Im down in the wale app. area Im going to go in their and check it out. Then I will have to find the cheapest place to order from. Right now it looks like $544 shipped but 4 weeks for dilivery.

thanks again
Justin
Old 2007-06-29, 6:16am

The issues I continually see with the Jen-Ken kilns are with the silver glasses. Terra, for example, kepps coming out dull. DaVinci comes out dull. I don't know what it is about their kilns but it seems everyone that owns one has issues with at least the silver glasses.

The AIM I have - I have never, ever had an issue with any glass. Everything comes out the way it went in. I can even leave rubino in it for 6 hours an it looks the same. That's one of the reason I love it so much. That, plus the price, the fact that it's very versatile, it has a bead door, the controller.... I just can't see buying a different one ever.

Every time I see a post about colors coming out different I feel really lucky I bought this kiln. I didn't know how wonderful it was before I bought it. And, I've never seen a post by anyone stating that they had or are having issues with it. I;ve seen tath a lot with JenKen and some with Paragon.

Godd luck. Hope you find what you're lookin for.

"Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time." ~Thomas Merton
Old 2007-06-29, 6:29am
Formerly known as LT

Terra, DaVinci, Raku... Will get "dull" in the kiln if your kiln is running to hot. If you put the bead in with lots of color and it comes out like poo you know your kiln is to hot.

Old 2007-06-29, 6:38am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feldt's Glass View Post
Terra, DaVinci, Raku... Will get "dull" in the kiln if your kiln is running to hot. If you put the bead in with lots of color and it comes out like poo you know your kiln is to hot.

Oh, I know. But for some reason people were/are still having major issues even after turning their kilns down. I haven't had to turn mine down, change my schedule, or change anything at all. It's the environment and the heat and the way mine is made is perfect. Also, I haven't seen anyone else who owns an AIM post that they were having issues like this.

You know, I don't work for AIM or anything and if you asked me a year ago I would have no idea how to answer this question. But this kiln has a been a miracle. Not only that, but I paid $430 SHIPPED for it with a Bartlett controller (which is what? at least $200 by itself?), a bead door, kiln wash, and I can take the collar out to fuse. But I don't have to. I'm all about the deals and I think this kiln is the best one, even if you pay $100 more for it.

Old 2007-06-29, 6:39am

By the way, I can garage at 968 and nothing dulls. I don't usually now, but I did and it was fine.

Old 2007-06-29, 7:48am

Most of my terra comes out great with my jen ken kiln, and I also have left my annealing temp at 950. I also often make terra beads at the beginning of my session so they soak sometimes for a few hours before I even begin the kiln cycle. (yes I still get plenty of bad looking terra beads, but most are good, I have made maybe 20 terra beads and 15 have been what I would call good, the rest poop )

I have never tried DaVinci or Rubino though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taramag View Post
The issues I continually see with the Jen-Ken kilns are with the silver glasses. Terra, for example, kepps coming out dull. DaVinci comes out dull. I don't know what it is about their kilns but it seems everyone that owns one has issues with at least the silver glasses.

The AIM I have - I have never, ever had an issue with any glass. Everything comes out the way it went in. I can even leave rubino in it for 6 hours an it looks the same. That's one of the reason I love it so much. That, plus the price, the fact that it's very versatile, it has a bead door, the controller.... I just can't see buying a different one ever.

Every time I see a post about colors coming out different I feel really lucky I bought this kiln. I didn't know how wonderful it was before I bought it. And, I've never seen a post by anyone stating that they had or are having issues with it. I;ve seen tath a lot with JenKen and some with Paragon.

Godd luck. Hope you find what you're lookin for.

myBeadWiki - A growing knowledge base of all things bead

Old 2007-06-29, 10:00am
Missing presumed fed

Which Jen-Ken kiln are you talking about? "B3K" just means that you want it with the Bartlett 3-key controller rather than the Orton controller, which is an option available on various models of kilns.

I'd just recommend that you get one that has a bead door so you can stick mandrels in straight from the torch. I think you'll regret it if you don't.

A place where I do Open Torch has a Jen-Ken Tall Bead Annealer, and I have one persistent gripe about it: the handles on the bead door are metal and they get too hot to use. We've got a nasty hunk of fiber blanket taped onto the handle right now so you can open the door without hurting yourself. You don't want to have to fumble with a glove or a hot pad when you're worrying about getting a bead or a marble into the kiln before it cracks. I don't know why Jen-Ken couldn't put a heat-proof handle on there. It bugs me! (A minor quibble, and something you can devise a way to live with if you really like the kiln for other reasons.)

In your price shopping, look at Centre de Verre -- www.cdvkiln.com. I've never bought a kiln from them, but they have a good rep for customer service and their prices seem to be competitive. If you're within driving distance of Wale, though, saving on shipping could make the difference for you.

(I have an AIM 84BD, by the way, which is a nice little kiln. It's small for fusing, though -- you could do jewelry-scale stuff, and up to maybe a soapdish. A 6x6 kiln shelf fits in. I think AIM also makes a 96, which is similar but slightly larger.)

Last edited by Emily; 2007-06-29 at 10:03am.
Old 2007-06-29, 10:24am
Crazy Snake Lady

I use my Paragon Caldera for fusing and small ceramics. It's also great for annealing.
Old 2007-06-29, 11:09am

The jen ken kiln is 11 X 41/2 tall and has a 6x2" bead door. Its an octigon shape. not sure of model