LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2020-12-16, 10:48am

Default Torching in the North

I have a lovely little studio in my garden (built by my WH) north of Toronto. It’s well insulated and cozy warm, even in our winters.......until I turn on my exhaust fan. The intake for replacement air - coming in at -15 C - is behind me to keep the cold air from shocking my glass. Once that cold air comes in, it’s freezing cold, no matter how high I turn up my heater.

Anyone have any ideas how to deal better with this problem???

Many thanks!

June
Old 2020-12-16, 11:14am

heated motorcycle gear? Or, less pricy, a heated blanket.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by designerbeads; 2020-12-16 at 11:36am.
Old 2020-12-16, 12:51pm

Is it possible to create some sort of heat exchange? Maybe run the fresh air through a pipe under the ceiling for a way, so it has a chance to warm up before it comes into the room.
I suppose the ideal thing would be to run your cold input gas past your warm exhaust gas, warming one and cooling the other (without mixing them, obvs!).
Old 2020-12-16, 1:58pm
Phill

I have a window at the back of my torch bench that I open a crack in the winter time so that 90/95% of my "make air" comes in from there, mixes with the torch fumes and goes right back outside to duct work that exhausts some ten feet from the window. That way I am not pulling the exhaust back in at the window.

The other 5/10% comes over my back (fortunately it's heated air from my house because I set up my bench in an enclosed back porch).

But my hands still get a chill from the cold make up air so I set up two of those old fashioned heat lamps.
The radiant heat warms my hands and my tools and I have a space heater under my bench pointed at my feet and knees.

Rerouting your "make up air" to the back or side of your bench and adding heat lamps is my suggestion.

I'm just north of Iowa in Minnesota myself.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2020-12-16 at 2:02pm.
Old 2020-12-16, 4:32pm

Thanks so much for the speedy replies and suggestions. Trying to re-route the replacement air so it doesn't affect the glass and getting a radiant heater are great ideas.

Although the heated motorcycle gear sounds interesting................!

Much appreciated. ~June
Old 2020-12-17, 9:43am
Slogan Challenged...

I used to use an electric rubber floor mat which warmed my feet wonderfully. I use lap blankets and sometimes an electric heating pad (not an electric blanket) on my lap to help with my legs. I also wear a hat and sometimes over the ear headphones. I used to work on an enclosed porch and that was a lot colder overall than the garage I'm now in.

With the garage studio, so far a lap blanket has done ok for me, and a hat. The kiln heats up my little part of the garage a litrtle bit. And the sun shines on me from the open door, which helps keep me warm also. At least until late afternoon, when it's in my face and makes it really hard to keep working. But when my rods all start shattering when they hit the flame, or my beads start to crack while I'm making them, I know to call it a day. My fingers, nose & toes are usually getting pretty chill by then, so it's good timing for me too.
Of course, I'm in Arizona, and the cold temps outside range from 42-58 av during the times I'm trying to work. I know you guys have it a lot worse!

Facebook:

Etsy: