No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-03-22, 5:00pm
Susan

Default Bead Shaping Tool

Hi there!! Some time ago I saw a post about a shaping tool that one can use to get a really nice bead shape like barrel or bicone. I was wondering if anyone could link me to it. I am just struggling with my bead shapes and I'm losing my motivation bit by bit because my skills are lapsing. I just dont know what to do anymore. I hate this. When we moved, I lost my entire support structure and comfortable working environment. My constant non-successes are killing my confidence.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-03-22, 7:50pm
Smooches!

I bought a Cattwalk bicone quad and that makes nice shapes. Here's a link:
http://www.cattwalk.com/formingtrays.htm#Bicone%20Quad

It's a nice tool, heavyweight. I find, though, that the more I just sit down to play, and practice the better my beads get. If I go too long between torch sessions, my beads go back to shit..

You can do this! Just PPP.

Miss Kate

cocktail napkins available at:

Now running my Cheetah on 2 Regalia's - pure heaven!

Old 2008-03-22, 8:22pm

There's also the Val Cox marver from Zooziis - I've used and like it.

http://zooziis.com/index.asp?PageAct...TS&Category=22

~:
:~
~:
:~ Nikki ~:

~:

"...living hopefully ever after..." -john lennon
Old 2008-03-22, 8:42pm

Is this what you were looking for? Arrow Springs has one called the "Cylinder Speed Shaper"
http://www.arrowsprings.com/html/shaping_tools.html
(it's about half way down the page)

There's a video clip of the tool in use here:
http://www.arrowsprings.com/Cylinder_Speed_Shaper_1.wmv
(note: it is a WMV file, and only plays in Internet Explorer, not Firefox)

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2008-03-22, 8:50pm

i like using the electric mandrel. its easy to get consistent shapes with it.
Old 2008-03-22, 9:16pm
<---RamboPatootieSuperbun

I saw Sharon Peters demo the one Malcolm linked to from Arrow Springs at the local SGB meeting today. It helps make a perfect barrel in like 2 seconds! I know how to make them by hand with a flat marver so I feel like I should be allowed to cheat now! They are really fast. I'm saving my pennies.

Kelly

Old 2008-03-22, 9:56pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Here's the etsy store to the lady who sells them on LE.
I bought two of them from her at the last meeting (LOVE them).

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id...ion_id=&page=1

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2008-03-22, 10:06pm

You have moved, the stress is high and the rewards pretty low right now, so it's really hard to get back to technical excellence without the time to practice or your old support network. Try just using really pretty colours to make beads in small rondelle shapes (or any shape that comes easily)........... Just do a lot with no pressure on yourself to do anything other than to make pretty colours. The beads will make you smile and you will get the practice and ease of working to go back to the harder stuff........... and treat yourself to a lovely new tool as well. But stop beating yourself up and get the joy back first! Your beads are a wonderful mix of glass ,light and the love that you make the with. Helen
Old 2008-03-22, 11:36pm

Thumbs up double barrel marver from bearfootart.com

I love my double barrel marver. It makes great barrels & bi-cones. My bead end's have improved greatly and its really easy to master. See the video http://www.bearfootart.com/images/Vi...ering.wmv\\:D/
Old 2008-03-23, 3:32am
Knob Creek Glass

I have all of the above and they are all great!!!
Old 2008-03-23, 11:07am
Susan

Thank you for all the replies and the links! I am really going to look into a new tool. Today I hit the bookstore and bought some inspirational books as well as some beading magazines that I used to get. Im blessed to have a hubby who really supports the arts (ME!!)

It's so hard to accept that before our move I was doing some pretty fine tuned things and I have lost so much of that but I want to dive right in and do it all they same as I did. Does that make any sense?? Anyways.. I was feeling pretty emotional last night and feeling more positive today. Thanks so much!!!

Old 2008-03-23, 11:15am
Flame Dames Rule!

Hey, it happens to everyone - between Tucson & the after-show flu I didn't light a torch for a month, and it's taken me the last 4 weeks to get the 'feel' back. The first two weeks I couldn't even make stinkin little 2-wrap dot beads right.

Just plant yourself down with good music or audio book and mess around, and it'll all come back to you! And the A'Springs cylinder shape REALLY works - it's the first time I've ever gotten decent ones!

*s*

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2008-03-23, 12:11pm
Ruri Glass Studio

Here's the thread about the Arrow Springs tool.
Arrow Springs Cylinder Speed Shaper
Of course you can just use your marver but this tool speeds it up a lot because it takes care of the end and the side at the same time.
Old 2008-03-24, 8:09pm
Redbearmountain

Hello, I have the electrical mandrel spinner and his rolling marvers! These tools are great and you get consistant shapes. My shapes really improved. This wonderful tool and all his tools are worth the money! I also have a creation station so now I can torch for hours in comfort. Greatest investment I have made since I started lampworking. Jacque