No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-01-20, 1:02pm
Venita

Default Need picture of propane tank with regulator

I just ordered a "standard" regulator through Arrow Springs and am trying to visualize what the end result would be when it is hooked up. I have not bought a propane tank yet for fear of buying the wrong type. Will a BBQ p/tank from Walmart work? Theirs comes already filled with propane.

I know the regulator will come with instructions but just want a heads up and would like to see your pictures so I know what to do with this regulator when I get it.

Last edited by venita; 2007-01-20 at 1:07pm.
Old 2007-01-20, 1:14pm

Yes a BBQ tank will work. Thats what I use
Its not hard to figure out. only 1 part of the regulator will screw to the tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-01-20, 5:03pm
Gentleman of Leisure

There is no wrong propane tank.... Propane and acetylene and other flammable fuel tanks use what is called a CGA-510 connector (female portion). Propane and acetylene regulators also use the CGA-510 connector (male portion). This holds true with propane tank sizes from 4.25 lb. to 100 lb... The typical 20 lb. BBQ tank is correct as long as you have specifically ordered a fuel gas regulator....

http://www.concoa.com/index.php?page...ref=10&cga=510

Be aware that the connection on regulator/tank is LEFT-HAND thread. They a have small groove machined in hex area on connector where you apply wrench to tighten connection so one is aware of the "reverse" of normal tightening procedures....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-01-21, 12:03pm
da General

Also beware that to turn on pressure ON, you turn the T lever to the RIGHT (counter intuitive). So when you first get the regulator, turn it to the LEFT to loosen it a bit so when you hook it up to your propane tank and hose, it will be in the OFF position.

There is a thread somewhere here or at WC that go into details about that. It is also stated in the regulator instruction manual.

|
|
|
|
Old 2007-01-21, 12:12pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Here is a informative write up on regulators:

Fuel-Oxygen Regulators

Dale

Old 2007-01-21, 12:57pm
trying to follow along

where can I get an adjustable fuel regulator? No one around here seems to carry them?
Old 2007-01-21, 1:26pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracked Baubble View Post
where can I get an adjustable fuel regulator? No one around here seems to carry them?
Go to welding supply, get a Acetylene (fuel) regulator.... No, there is actually no difference just the "named" fuel...

Dale

Old 2007-01-21, 1:36pm
Gentleman of Leisure

For what its worth...

Here is picture (stolen off WC) of what appears to be a Acetylene (fuel gas) regulator connected to a 20lb. propane tank...

Dale

Old 2007-01-22, 10:27pm

DH said to stay away from Blue Rhino. It's extremely flammable.
Old 2007-01-22, 10:32pm
trying to follow along

thanks again Dale
Old 2007-01-23, 5:19am
Safety ALWAYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by taramag View Post

All propane is extremely flammable.

I use nothing but Blue Rhino as they are the company that supplies most of the convenience stores in my area. I've found their tanks to be clean, valves to be rust free and well maintained. I've yet to see a rusty or beat up tank in their exchanges - when they do get one, it is cleaned, primed and re-painted, and new appliques applied.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2007-01-23, 7:59am
The Andrea Half

Blue Rhino is fine; I've used that at my sister's studio. At home I use Amerigas, because they are the most commonly found supplier around my area. Ditto Mike--clean, re-primed and painted tanks, new packaging. There's never a problem swapping out tanks--just go to Publix, leave tank, pay for new tank, have clerk come out and unlock storage case and give you new tank ...

Old 2007-01-23, 8:06am
critter creator

Quote:
Let's HOPE that it's extremely flammable!!! I don't want my torch to fizzle and sputter!#!

Old 2007-01-23, 9:40am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Blue Rhino is just a brand name..... Flammability of propane is CONSTANT between all brands. Propane may come from a hundred different sources (wholesale) , Blue Rhino buys from who ever has a supply of fuel for best price at time they need to acquire new supply.

Dale

Old 2007-01-23, 11:22pm

OMG! Guys! It was a joke! of course it's flammable!

I knew I'd get serious answers... should've put a smily but I wanted to see if anyone "got it".

I used the name "blue rhino" b/c they're everywhere and I figured that's proably the kind that the OP saw at Wal-Mart.

back to your regularly scheduled programing
Old 2007-01-24, 5:29am
Safety ALWAYS

ummmm....we do have a sense of humor, but not when it comes to safety.

And DH's do tend to come up with very weird comments from time to time...

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2007-01-28, 8:57am
The Andrea Half

You never know about DHs .... I;ve seen a number who were clearly humor-impaired

Old 2007-02-12, 9:00am
lov'in life!!!

Dale, I am SO confused over here. I was sold an Acetylene regulator for my bbq tank that has propane in it. The guy at the welding company said it would be fine. Well, I am getting very different stories on whether I should use it with the propane or not....even within the same company. My gas guy that came and hooked it up, said it would be fine also, HELP please. Is it really okay to use the Acetylene regulator with the propane gas? I just want to be as safe as possible.

Thanks

The past is history...the future is a mystery...today is a gift...that's why
we call it the "Present".

Old 2007-02-12, 9:11am
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameDancer View Post
Dale, I am SO confused over here. I was sold an Acetylene regulator for my bbq tank that has propane in it. The guy at the welding company said it would be fine. Well, I am getting very different stories on whether I should use it with the propane or not....even within the same company. My gas guy that came and hooked it up, said it would be fine also, HELP please. Is it really okay to use the Acetylene regulator with the propane gas? I just want to be as safe as possible.

Thanks
It is a very common thing to use a acetylene regulator with propane... First the connector for regulators and tanks are "compatible" ... In the world of fuels & industrial gases the tank connectors are very different for different fuel/gas classes so you can only connect together compatible regulators and tanks...

A while back I queried 4 different manufacturers of "acetylene" regulators about the compatibility issues of using acetylene regulator for propane, and 2 manufacturers had courtesy to reply and state that there were no issues with compatibility, that the components used in manufacturing were acceptable to either fuel....

So, don't be confuses, accept that only difference in regulators is name of gas on gauge, and above all, enjoy melting glass.

Dale

Old 2007-02-12, 9:26am
Safety ALWAYS

The ONLY problem that can occur is using a "used" regulator, one that previously has been used on Acetylene. There are contamination problems that can occur.

Nowadays, regulator manufacturers mark the regulator for the gas that is "most popular", typically acetylene. The threads on a propane tank and an acetylene tank are identical, therefore the confusion.

Dale -- I have to laugh every time I see that picture of the manky regulator on the first page of this thread, showing the readily apparent pipe dope (thread sealant) on the regulator to tank threads.

I shudder to think what that did to the tank, not to mention the regulator. I wonder how long that regulator actually lasted after that little episode...

Old 2007-02-12, 9:33am
lov'in life!!!

Thanks SO much for answering.

I did end up calling two different local gas companies and they said that they would NOT use the Acetylene regulator because of different pressure issues. They said that propane was much lower than acetylene and that something could actually blow up....oh great! Like I said, I want to be as safe as possible, especially, because there are young children around.

The welding company that sold it to me was out of the propane regulators and sold me this one instead. When I called for another part this am, a completely different person told me that I should't be using it....they both work for the same company. Go figure

Last edited by FlameDancer; 2007-02-12 at 9:48am.
Old 2007-02-12, 9:36am
Safety ALWAYS

ROFLMAO -- <sneezebullshitsneeze>

What you want is a regulator (for either propane OR acetylene) that has a working pressure range of 0 to about 30 PSI.

There are very few acetylene regulators that go much above 60 PSI, and those are very expensive.

Old 2007-02-12, 9:50am
lov'in life!!!

Well, I trust you guys more than anyone else...so it stays. It does go up to 30 psi and another thing I like about it is, it has a guage on it that tells me how much gas I have left in the tank

Thanks so much you two for helping me out. I was really getting parranoid.

Old 2007-02-12, 9:55am
Safety ALWAYS

No problem -- but it doesn't tell you how much gas you have left, it only shows the tank pressure, which isn't related to volume of gas left. The only way to be absolutely sure about how much gas you have left is to weigh the tank empty, then weigh it full.

Stamped on the carrying handle are full and empty weights, you can go by those as being "close" to the actual weights.

Old 2007-02-12, 2:34pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameDancer View Post
Thanks SO much for answering.

I did end up calling two different local gas companies and they said that they would NOT use the Acetylene regulator because of different pressure issues. They said that propane was much lower than acetylene and that something could actually blow up....oh great! Like I said, I want to be as safe as possible, especially, because there are young children around.
A full acetylene tank has a pressure of about 200psi.

A propane tank has a working pressure of about 135psi (at 70°)

Output working pressure for acetylene regulator is 1 to 15 psi. ( 4-8 psi for most welding/cutting operations)...

Output working pressure for propane regulator is 1 to 20psi. (4-6 being sufficient for most small torches)

Welding people are totally lost once you start talking anything but welding...

Dale