LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-03-14, 3:38pm

Unhappy Price For NG Line

I am somewhat discouraged because I am trying to put my studio together and just got an estimate of $900. to install the Natural gas line. Doesn't that sound high? My water heater which is on gas is directly below the room I want the line, couldn't they just run it off of that? It's about 4 ft up and one elbow to come out the wall, I was expecting to pay $200-$250 is that unrealistic? my pressure from the meter is 1 1/2 psi and reduced to 1/2 (that's what the guy told me) Since I will be running a betta should be ok to T off from the hot water heater right? Maybe it's the permits that are so expensive. Oh well, looks like I'll have to wait some more.
Old 2007-03-14, 4:00pm
Crazy tool making guy....

I'd get another estimate....

-Jeff
Old 2007-03-14, 4:10pm
Pobody's nerfect!

I agree - get another estimate. My setup is similar to yours, except the water heater is in the attic above the studio.... I don't remember the exact cost, but I think it was somewhere in the neighborhood of $250....

"While we have the gift of life, it seems to me the only tragedy is to allow part of us to die -- whether it is our spirit, our creativity or our glorious uniqueness” -- Gilda Radner
Old 2007-03-14, 4:16pm

yup, get another estimate. I had a NG line put in for my NG stove and it was under 200.
Old 2007-03-14, 4:18pm
novembersfyre everywhere

My plumber ran a T off a natural gas line in our basement that actually goes outside and is attached to our gas grill.

I think the total cost was somewhere in the neighborhood of $200.00. He was very precise in his installation and acquired all of the correct fittings that I needed for my torch. He also tested everything for leaks including all of the fittings to existing gas appliances. He hooked my torch up and tested that for leaks also. He was wonderful!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-03-14, 4:33pm
Eight Miles Wide

Mine was $496ish, and that included installing my hood (which included punching a hole in our house).

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=39842

Old 2007-03-14, 5:31pm

wow, good to know, I'll get another estimate. He sais it was expensive because of the permits, I'm sure I can find someone to do it without permits because we will remove the line before we sell the house anyway. Did you have to get permits?
Old 2007-03-14, 8:12pm
Sorry for party rockin'

Definitely get another quote!! I paid $300 (or $350?) to have a line dropped from our attic into my workroom in our last house and I had an additional NG line/faucet/whatever built into my room in our current house while it was under construction. I never had to get any kind of permit.

I hired a plumber to do the work at our last house, our gas company didn't even want to come out and do the job so I hired someone else. And when we moved I had the same plumber come back out to remove the additional piping.

Old 2007-03-14, 8:52pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

uhh... I wouldn;t want someone to do it that would be willing to do it without permits. I don't believe that is the reason for the high price - ask for specific prices on the permits.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-03-14, 11:28pm
I'm a lilac!

I agree that the guy is bullshitting about the permits. You may even be able to look it up on your city's website, if it has one, but in my city the permit to run another gas appliance hookup from an existing meter, costs $11 to cover the first four and $2 for each additional. IME gas and electrical permits are usually the cheapest because they really want to encourage people to do it right and have it inspected.

I hate to accuse someone of dishonesty but I can't help but suspect that he is banking on your lack of knowledge to put extra money in his pocket, and that's not right. Look for a second, and maybe even a third estimate! I had lots of gas line work done last year for just a few hundred $$ and my friend two blocks away had her house plumbed for gas and a meter put in for $1200.

Old 2007-03-15, 6:35am
Safety ALWAYS

One more voice for a 2nd and perhaps a 3rd bid. And be sure that permits are pulled. A contractor that tells you that permits are not required should have his bid thrown out automatically (and if you are feeling particularly pithy, report him to the city inspectors office).

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2007-03-16, 8:41am

ok this is hilarious! today I got my 2nd estimate from Mr. Rooter, you'll never believe how much $3448 to run a gas line YEAH RIGHT! do they think I'm stupid?? here is what the estimate says
Proposal to install 1/2" gas line from meter to upstairs bedroom (the bedroom is directly above the gas meter and pipe will be run on outside of house)
21 ft 1/2 " black pipe
fittings
unistrut brackets
mounting hardware
drywall repair
gas valve
material
tax
labor
total $3448.00

I cannot believe this sh*t

There has to be a decent plumber in Las Vegas who is not a scam artist, I am really frustrated right now. Is there anyone in vegas who has had a line installed that can reccomend someone?

Sorry, had to vent
Old 2007-03-16, 8:50am
In search of her path....

That is insane! Now I understand how Mr Rooter could afford to place so many dam yellow pages ads....Thats fricking INSANE. There has to be someone reasonable thats not a scammer...I know there are some people here who live in or near Las Vegas....hopefully they will pop in.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2007-03-16, 9:02am
Safety ALWAYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by stashia View Post
ok this is hilarious! today I got my 2nd estimate from Mr. Rooter, you'll never believe how much $3448 to run a gas line YEAH RIGHT! do they think I'm stupid?? here is what the estimate says
Proposal to install 1/2" gas line from meter to upstairs bedroom (the bedroom is directly above the gas meter and pipe will be run on outside of house)
21 ft 1/2 " black pipe
fittings
unistrut brackets
mounting hardware
drywall repair
gas valve
material
tax
labor
total $3448.00

I cannot believe this sh*t

There has to be a decent plumber in Las Vegas who is not a scam artist, I am really frustrated right now. Is there anyone in vegas who has had a line installed that can reccomend someone?

Sorry, had to vent
Did he provide a breakdown of prices? It would be very amusing to see it -- you might also want to contact your local newspaper/TV station if they have a consumer affairs department and show the bid to them and ask them to investigate -- CAD's *LOVE* finding contractors who purposely over price bids and rip people off.

Chaotic Glass: Safety for the glassworker, and random thoughts and opinions on the state of the glassworking world
Old 2007-03-16, 9:49am
The Venerable Bead

OH dear my installation for NG was done by a plumber and cost $175 and he ran the pipe (used flexible piping) 15 feet across the basement ceiling. the T was done at the meter though not from the water heater. betta should be fine on 1/4 lb cause that's all I got and my betta rocks. he did tell me had he used metal piping the cost would have been much higher but the newer flexible piping is much more cost effective. good luck!

Paula AKA The Venerable Bead

"I believe in pink, I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles."
— Audrey Hepburn

flaming away on a betta, natural gas, and 2 M-20's

Old 2007-03-16, 10:13am

That's just the craziest estimate ever. Besides plumbers you could ask heating and AC guys. They should know how to do it.

Old 2007-03-16, 10:32am
Gentleman of Leisure

Try a "handyman" service... You do not have to use "certified gas fitter"...

Any decent handyman can do it and can meet city codes and permit requirements .... Its the end product that is inspected and certified safe not plumbers credentials.....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2007-03-16, 11:01am
Safety ALWAYS

Dale -- there might be union issues involved -- Las Vegas is a big union town, and there might be restrictions written into the city building codes that don't allow unlicensed (for the specialty) contractors to work on certain types of jobs.

Old 2007-03-16, 12:08pm

Oh my GOD THATS FREAKING HIGHWAY ROBBERY.

$3448.00 Sure sounds like Mr. Rooter was looking to give some one a rooting.
I wonder how much it would of been if it was for some thing complacated or dificult to do.

Gosh you could Buy me a round trip plain ticket,a room,A night or 2 out on the town gameing,

+ matrials and still have a bunch of $ left over .
Old 2007-03-16, 12:11pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by smutboy420 View Post
Oh my GOD THATS FREAKING HIGHWAY ROBBERY.

$3448.00 Sure sounds like Mr. Rooter was looking to give some one a rooting.
I wonder how much it would of been if it was for some thing complacated or dificult to do.

Gosh you could Buy me a round trip plain ticket,a room,A night or 2 out on the town gameing,

+ matrials and still have a bunch of $ left over .
what a great idea!

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2007-03-16, 2:21pm
Floral Obsessed

Wow, that's craziness! I paid $360 Canadian, which I think was still pretty high because the line was already T'd, he was just re-routing an old, unused capped stove line about 6 feet and arranging the permit. Maybe Las Vegas is just way more expensive? I mean, I can see anywhere up to $700, expecially if there's complications, but 1000-3000 is just nutty. -H.

Nov. 2003-Nov 2005 --> QuietTorch, 1lb MAPP ::
:: Nov. 2005-May 2007 --> Piranha, NG, 1 Solaris oxycon ::
:: May 2007-Present --> Piranha, NG, 2 Solaris oxycons
Old 2007-03-16, 2:25pm
FireDancer Glass

Wow! That is amazing! I am lucky in OR we do not need permits if it is all ready existing, mine was around 200.00 and he had done many before that were for torches.

A lampworker out there in Vegas should have some reccomendations for you!

Good luck!

Christy
Old 2007-03-16, 10:09pm

Ya know I was thinking about how much of a rip that is.

A few years ago My dad and I did some work for a guy that was opening up a restrunt. We had to run all kind of the gas lines and hook up the entire kitchen and install the apliances.
and run the water lines and install some sinks. Thats about how much my dad bid the entire job for.
It was $3400 I can't remember if that included matrials and the permits or not. I think it was with because my dad Split $3000 right down the middel with me. So the other $400 must of been the matrial costs and what not.

Now that I was thinking about that job and how much they quoted you for the tiny bit of work needed and I thinking they REALLY REALLY are nuts.

I guess up to a point some one has a right to ask as much as they feel like wanting. But there has to be a point between just being over priced and just being a crook.