Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2010-03-01, 6:13pm

Question Question for shield users

I'm new to lampwork and would like to try boro soon. The eye protection question has me stumped for now. I wear prescription glasses and my prescription changes every couple of years. Of course I have no wish to burn my eyes. That happened to me several years ago when someone was welding behind a door and didn't lock it while they were working. That really hurts!

I've been looking through old threads trying to find a good solution. I've found several posts that basically say "try a shield...you'll still have to wear safety glasses though." This is confusing. What shield with what glasses? If I buy a shield and still need a pair of boroscopes why am I buying the shield? I could easily spend over $500 on stock eye protection and that doesn't even include my prescription which I would still have to wear underneath all that.

I know I need to protect against flying glass, UV, IR and sodium flare. I know there are two types of shields, torch mount and bench mount, and that the torch mount has a UV/IR option. I guess what I need is more specific info on what each person's set up is like.

So if some of you don't mind could you tell me which shield you are using and which glasses with your particular shield? Then maybe I'll get the idea about what it takes to cover all the bases.

Sorry if I'm a little dense and I hope this doesn't open up a can of worms. I know there's a lot of debate about eye protection but eye sight is something even more precious than melting glass.

Lori
Old 2010-03-01, 9:03pm
Ambivitreous

You should choose the appropriate shield for the type of work you're doing (boro in your case) to filter out the flare, but you still need standard safety glasses to protect your eyes against impact from flying glass. Shields do not provide adequate impact protection by themselves.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rockin' 2 Nortel Red Maxes with Mega Minor topfires on natural gas & 6 EX-15s with my glass accomplice Lisa F-R
Old 2010-03-01, 10:14pm

I have Industrial SC-9000 shade 3 ACE fit overs for $110.00. They fit right over your glasses, so when your script changes, these still work. There are flip downs, but most of them just are shade 3 or five with nothing for sodium flare.

Ian lange, Eden's Gate Glass
Pm me if you want more info
Old 2010-03-02, 12:50am
Salt Box Beads

The shield most people refer to is a aura lens table top. It is very small and has a stand with a lever arm on it. You can buy it for soft glas, boro or both which is what I have.

I use the shield with a pair of safety readers. I bought them at an optical store. I also wear half or full mask respirators. When I wear the full mask respirator I do not wear the glasses but use a large quilters magnifyer which I put over the shield. Works like a charm.

Lorraine

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2010-03-02 at 10:25am.
Old 2010-03-02, 2:54am
Happy Beadmaker!

I work behind the Auralens shield and I also use the Auralens didyium glasses. I've been working with glass some 15 years now and just have grown used to that protection. (My shield also has the flip-down for boro as I do work boro occasionally.)

FWIW,
Lea

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~
~
~
Old 2010-03-02, 5:20am
GlassDocNC

I tried to order a shield from Auralens but after 9 months of failure to deliver, my money was refunded.
Old 2010-03-02, 7:44am
Gentleman of Leisure

Shields can be purchased here....

http://www.phillips-safety.com/store...f7af5c1814d1e0

Several versions available for different types of glass....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-03-02, 8:00am
GlassDocNC

Thank you! Thank you!

Marina
Old 2010-03-02, 10:15am

Thanks for all the great info!

I've heard about Auralens reputation from a lot of people. Good eye protection is a major investment for most of us just starting out. We can't help but pay attention to all the negative feedback that we hear. Like most of us I don't want to waste money that I can't afford to loose. If I didn't receive anything I would have to wait till tax time next year to buy more from someone else. I don't want to wait 9 months or more to play with boro. But eye protection that never arrives certainly isn't helping anyone's eyes so I doubt I'll order from them. Too bad because it looks like it would have been a good product.

Lori
Old 2010-03-02, 10:33am
Salt Box Beads

Hi Lori, Most of "us" older members bought ours long ago, 6 years ago for me.

The reputation was intact when I purchased and delivery was fast and phone help was great. It is sad because it is a terrific product.

I actually hang mine upside down from the top of the Barley box.

Dale gave you another shield option so you can still have a shield if you want.

Lorraine
Old 2010-03-02, 10:35am
I'm the 1000th poster!!

I have the Phillips shield. LOVE IT!

Old 2010-03-02, 10:39am

Yes the philips is looking better and better. I've sent them an email.

Lori
Old 2010-03-02, 12:46pm
Happy Beadmaker!

Ditto what Lorraine said. It is sad because Auralens was always a responsible & reputable company to deal with and STATE-OF-THE-ART products (I also have their rod warmer). I don't know what happened.

~
~
~
Old 2010-03-02, 2:37pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lea Zinke View Post
Ditto what Lorraine said. It is sad because Auralens was always a responsible & reputable company to deal with and STATE-OF-THE-ART products (I also have their rod warmer). I don't know what happened.
But that was "probably" when Mikes dad ran the business........

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-03-04, 5:27am

There's another option called the blast shield. Here's a link:

http://www.theblastshield.com/

Seems to be geared for boro workers. I haven't found any specs on their products (maybe I didn't poke into their website in the right places), so I can't speak to efficacy, nor how they work compared to the aura lens shields, but a few folks have posted that they have them and seem to like them.

Linda
Old 2010-03-04, 8:56am

The blast shield is another one that people said they liked but still had to wear eye protection. I was hoping some people that use them would respond and tell me what they wear in addition to the blast shield and why.

Lori
Old 2010-03-04, 9:00am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbowman1 View Post
Yes the philips is looking better and better. I've sent them an email.
Btw, I did send Philips an email that day and they never replied. Please tell me Philips doesn't have bad customer service too. It might all boil down to who will talk to me and actually send me their product rather than what works best.

Lori
Old 2010-03-04, 11:13am
Salt Box Beads

I don't have a blast shield but I wear readers that are safety readers with a halfmask respirator.

I have a fullface respirator that I wear when I use enamels, silver glass, or frits etc and with the full face respirator I use a large quilters magnifyer and place it over the shield. It works great.

I prefer the full face for the work listed above because my eyes are sensitive and the full face keeps any fumes from getting to them.

Yes, I have a killer exhaust system but you disturb the exhausting flow by putting something into it , like making a bead and you create turbulence. Not every bit of fumes are exhausted. I know this because my eyes tell me so.

I also wear kevlar sleeves and noise cancelling headphones and my Sansa for tunes. My exhaust is noisy.

It takes me a good 20 minutes to suit up and get the horsetrailer ready for a torching session. Once I am out there I like to stay for awhile.

Lorraine
Old 2010-03-04, 11:20am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbowman1 View Post
The blast shield is another one that people said they liked but still had to wear eye protection. I was hoping some people that use them would respond and tell me what they wear in addition to the blast shield and why.
Shields like the Blast Shield are made to filter the IR and the UV ... but *not* filter out the yellow sodium flare. The Blast Shield is mounted on the torch, which puts it close to the heat of the flame. The glass used on the Blast Shield can take that heat. The glass used in the Phillips shield or the Aura shield can *not* take that heat. This is why both the Phillips shield and the Aura Shield are mounted *off* the torch, away from the heat.

Regardless of what shield one uses, eye protection *on the face* is still critical! Whether you have the yellow sodium flair filtration in your glasses (my preference) or in a shield is up to you. But, you still need some physical protection on your face.

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2010-03-04, 12:18pm

True. I have safety glasses to protect against flying glass but I needed to know if I need more than that in addition to a shield. I'll probably go with a Philips and my safety glasses if they reply to my email. If not the blast shield with my safety glasses and didy clip ons is the only choice left in the shield catagory.

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

Lori
Old 2010-03-04, 3:06pm

I purchased my last Phillips bench shields from Artistry in Glass

http://artistryinglass.on.ca/store/c...e_1_c_272.html

The price is sometimes especially good depending on the exchange rate.

I've gotten a smaller size bench shield for $140 within the past year, but I'll have to find the invoice to find my source.

P.S. I found the source, but the price is up to $160. It's Howaco: http://www.howaco.com/eye_protection.html

But back to the original post, Artistry in Glass has shields in both ACE 202 and shade 3, but Howaco only has the ACE 202. If you want the large shields (6"x6"), I've only seen them as regularly stocked items at Artistry in Glass and at Phillips Safety.

Last edited by De Anza Art Glass Club; 2010-03-04 at 3:26pm.
Old 2010-08-29, 1:17am
Chime

I'm thinking of getting a bench shield since I 'm wearing special prescription glasses. Clip ons are heavy and I'm not sure the fitovers will be that comfortable since the lenses are glass, I'm afraid it will still be uncomfortable wearing it.
What is the best size of shield to buy, 4 x 5 or 6 x 6? And why?
Old 2010-08-29, 8:30am
AKA Annan Designs

I got my shield from Blue Moon Glassworks in Austin, Texas (they advertise here.) They have didy shields and also a shield to be used in combination with the didy that is good for boro work. This is what I use along with my glasses (I hate being over 50.) http://www.austinbluemoon.com/catalog.php?category=28
The link should take you to the didy shield page - if you want the boro shield just let them know - it is very reasonable ($35 or less if I remember correctly). Jim and Rose are great folks.

Good luck,
Peg
Old 2010-08-29, 2:11pm
Alaska Boro

Also use the shield from Blue Moon. Found that the 4 x 5 inch glass size is adequate for my needs. Cost about $160.

This then gives you the option of wearing a set of shade 3 to 5 glasses if working with boro.