Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-09-30, 12:20pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

Default problems with blacks

I dont know what I am doing wrong. I have never had issues with black until the last year. I thought it was efetre so I got some vetrofond, same thing... I have tried different glass in the exact same flame and no problems.

Its turning metalic colors, scumming, makes sparkles in the flame like it eants to boil, but I am not working that hot.

what the heck is wrong? I have tried more oxy, working cooler, etc.

anyone else having issues? got any suggestions?

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2010-09-30, 1:08pm
Uh Oh....

I think it's the batch. I have always used Effetre black and the last batch I bought turns silver and bubbles. I've never had that happen, though Effetre black does do the pitting thing if it's marvered too much. The good thing is if it's worked in the flame the bubbles and silver go away and it looks fine. I bought some Vetrofond black recently because I heard it stays blacker and I can't use it. It pits and stays silver. Yuck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-09-30, 1:35pm

are these the new metallic blacks? oxy makes them silver?
for the pitting, try heating your graphite paddle in the flame before marvering. That is a Jim Smircich technique for preventing the fizz that happens after you marver the black.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2010-09-30, 1:52pm
Storm Queen

This happened to me years ago so I switched to CiM Hades as soon as it came out.

Old 2010-09-30, 2:00pm
Glassy Broad :-)

I too use CIM Hades, LOVE it! Now the unique they had a while ago would silver up, and sometimes get tan streaks in it, but not so any more.
I also love the fact that it doesn't bleed like intense black does. Which is good if that's what your looking for but not so great for stringer work.
Just my 0.2 worth

Nita

Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2010-09-30, 2:10pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

I use Vetrofond black for pupil dots and have switched to CIM Hades and Tuxedo for everthing else. I have enough pupil dot glass to last pretty much forever.

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2010-09-30, 2:42pm
I fart diamonds

Well, the problem is not the batch. She had Effetre 1st and I suggested Vetrofond. She's having the same problem with Vetrofond. Different manufacturer so definitely not a batch issue.

(another reason I use Uroboros...)

Old 2010-09-30, 3:33pm
...displaced ocean lover

I'm just glad someone else is having this issue...b/c I had it with one rod. Bubbles, siver, and shocky! Thought I had mixed it up with something else!
Old 2010-09-30, 4:09pm
He can do the origami

Candice, just FYI if you do want to get rid of your black, Kimberly Affleck loves the blacks that turn silver. I noticed several years ago across the board most of the coe 104 black glass started developing this issue to one degree or another. It is a chemistry issue with a common ingredient in the blacks but I never followed up on it. For awhile it varied greatly by batch within the same maker. Of course.... boro has some wonderful black ...... and we also have cookies

Otter

Otter
Old 2010-09-30, 4:12pm

OMG - I completely mis-understood the title of this thread!! Thank GOD I was wrong. LOL

OK never mind...

PEACE ON EARTH
Old 2010-09-30, 4:30pm
Uh Oh....

Thanks for the tip to heat up the marver. What a great idea. I'll have to give that a try. It's just this last batch of Effetre that I've been having issues with. I bought it this year. It turns silver and bubbles when I initially melt it but after I put it on the mandrel and start working with it, it's fine.

I never worked with the Vetrofond black until I took Melanie Moertel's class (last summer ??). We used it in her class and I really liked it so I ordered some. It wasn't the same as the black we used in her class. This black silvered and bubbled like crazy.

I was deadset on using the same brand black since I have "issues" marking my glass. So, I don't know much about the Vetrofond black. I've always used Effetre black and occasionally use intense black. This is the first batch of Effetre black that is silvering so much.

Old 2010-09-30, 4:33pm
Naysayer

^ me too Jeanne

Anyways, when I use Hades it bleeds? I like that about it though, I use it instead of intense black now.
Love it though, and tuxedo. I won't ever buy Italian black glass again, or white for that matter.

Last edited by Ravenesque; 2010-09-30 at 4:36pm.
Old 2010-09-30, 5:13pm

Everybody is trying to come up with a real 'black' instead of a dark shade of another color and keep messing about with the recipes. Oxygen brings up the manganese in most of these glass formulations, hence the metallic surfaces, often with pitting.

Robert
Old 2010-09-30, 5:24pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

well.. it just sucks.. give me the black thats really a dark purple, and dont mess with it... Now I have 8 lbs of glass I cant freaking use... sheesh

Candice

Old 2010-09-30, 7:06pm
Glassy Broad :-)

You know my addy Candice

Nita

Missing my Mini cc & two oxy cons!

The difference between Try, and Triumph, is a little Umph!
Old 2010-09-30, 7:09pm
Lampworkaholic!

CiM Tuxedo is a lovely, reliable, stable non-intense black and the price is right.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-09-30, 9:14pm
Formerly FishBulb

Reichenbach black 104 also does the same thing, so don't go nuts ordering a truckload of it if you don't like that effect.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-10-01, 1:02am

CiM Tuxedo
It's my new favorite!

Old 2010-10-01, 3:43am

I agree on the CIM. Both Tuxedo and Hades. They're my new best friends at the torch.
Old 2010-10-01, 3:54am
state-eternal change

I think if you were unsatisfied with the glass, you should contact where you bought it from and ask to return it, for at least credit.

Effetre had a bad batch a few years' back, Vetrofond had a bad batch this spring, so it's not that way all the time.

CIM blacks are wonderful! Hades will turn a dark green if you pull it too thin, but it's in general a stiffer glass, and if you are pulling thicker-than-hair stringer, it is ok for most stringer work. Plus, if you use silver leaf/foil/glass with it, if you reduce it you get the most pretty blues with Hades!

It sucks when batches go wrong. Too bad the factories let it out.

Old 2010-10-01, 10:10am
Ad astra per aspera

If you have one, try using a brass shaper instead of graphite with Effetre black. That got rid of many of my problems. I prefer Hades or Tuxedo, they're a lot less fussy.

If you need an absolutely non-bleeding stringer, use a dark transparent gray: melt a good-sized gather, roll it in Thompson black enamel, melt in the enamel, and repeat. Heat gently and pull your stringer. I learned this from Kate Fowle in my first class (before intense black or any of the other "new" blacks) and it works perfectly.

Old 2010-10-01, 11:19am
Run Free Sweet Boy

ok... I had better luck today. I followed the.. oxygen brings up the manganese tip, and made my flame richer in gas and worked further back and I had less problems. Genrally when stuff gets icky its too much gas not too much oxy.

Candice