Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Cork Board > Site Announcements

Site Announcements -- Public announcements and other messages from the Lampwork Etc. administrator.

Old 2005-07-09, 9:20pm
LE System Admin

Default New Image Uploader now available!

We now have a brand new, custom coded image uploader here at LWE! Here's how it works:

You can use the Uploaded Images Manager to upload new images and view already-uploaded images. The Uploaded Images Manager is available in the User CP and whenever you are posting. Images that are uploaded are tied to your account. Each uploaded image is assigned an Image ID number. Once you've uploaded a given image and you have the Image ID assigned, you can display that image in posts and signatures using the special bbcode image tag. For example, if your uploaded image has been assigned an Image ID of 123, you can use the following bbcode in posts and in your signature to display that image:

PHP Code:
[image]123[/image
The image uploader has a few advantages over the file attachment feature:
- Uploaded images can be used in a signature.
- Images don't have to be uploaded multiple times to be displayed in multiple posts.
- Uploaded images can be inserted anywhere (and in any order) within a post rather than having all attached images displayed at the bottom of the post.
- You can display uploaded images in PMs.
- Just like [img] images hosted elsewhere, uploaded images can be included in quoted segments of a reply.

If you are using the basic or standard editor, you can even click on the bbcode in the Uploaded Images Manager popup window and have the code automatically pasted into your post for you just like with smilies (as long as the popup was opened from the post editing page you are on). This auto-pasting feature isn't available with the WYSIWIG editor; with that editor, you'll have to hand-enter or cut/paste the bbcode into your post.

I think that's about it. I just finished coding this today, so there will surely be some issues to work through and improvements to be made. Please post any questions, issues, and suggestions relating to the new uploader to this thread.

Jason

Last edited by Jason; 2005-07-10 at 8:48am. Reason: added some more info about auto-paste
Old 2005-07-10, 6:10am
Moving On

YaY Jason!!!! You rock!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2005-07-10, 6:10am
Satake Woman!

thanks!!!!!

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2005-07-10, 9:55am
Administrator

Isn't it the best?? I swear, he amazes me sometimes!

Last edited by CorriDawn; 2005-07-10 at 12:36pm.
Old 2005-07-10, 12:25pm
Formerly known as weasel

Thank you Jason!
Old 2005-07-10, 12:31pm
CA Queen Bitch

Testing! Yep, even an idiot like me can use it!! This really rocks Jason! I think I love you!!!!

~Suzy~

Being unstable and bitchy is all part of my mystique.

Peek A Boo!
Old 2005-07-10, 12:37pm
CA Queen Bitch

More practice!

Peek A Boo!
Old 2005-07-10, 1:44pm
Administrator

OMG I love her Suzy!! haven't seen one unetched. I like her shiney!

Old 2005-07-10, 2:03pm
CA Queen Bitch

Thank you Corri! She was a special order for Kendra! I like her shiney too!

Peek A Boo!
Old 2005-10-06, 11:23pm

How do you delete pics from the uploader?

Old 2005-10-07, 8:38am
LE System Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizabeads
How do you delete pics from the uploader?
You can't, really. You can archive them, though. See this thread for more info:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1999
Old 2005-10-08, 9:22am
Kinder Gentler Sociopath

very nice jason! you should submit it to Vbulltien, and see what goodies they give you! I like Vbulltien alot... the new PHPbb is supposed to be released soon, and they are claiming to be as robust as vbulitien... we will see.. I think I read on one of the newsgroups, thet PHPbb has released a CMS to compete with PHP nuke (BOOO!!!!!!!) kinda which is the lesser of two evils, right?

Old 2005-10-08, 1:28pm

How do I resize my photos? I'm able to resize down to 640 x 640 but when it comes to getting them at only 80 kilobytes....I'm clueless. I end up sticking it in PAINT and shrinking but it distorts really bad.
Tracy

Old 2005-10-08, 1:38pm
Kinder Gentler Sociopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_phoenician
How do I resize my photos? I'm able to resize down to 640 x 640 but when it comes to getting them at only 80 kilobytes....I'm clueless. I end up sticking it in PAINT and shrinking but it distorts really bad.
Tracy

I would use something better than paint, like photoshop, or Jasc Paint shop pro, or ulead photoimpact...

Old 2005-10-08, 2:23pm

Thanks Dwaine, but HOW do I change the "biteage"? So it's less than 80 Kb. I have an editing program that came with my Olympus cam and it allows me to crop and resize- but I don't see the ability to change how many Kb it is. Does it automatically happen...so as my picture is reduced in size it automatically lowers the file size? I resized to 640x480 and the Kb's were still too much.
Thanks Dwaine, Tracy

Old 2005-10-08, 2:44pm
Pobody's nerfect!

Tracy - Changing the dimensions of the photo will not necessarily reduce the file size enough..... anyway, I've got an olympus camera... i found a program on my computer called PhotoCollection... is that what you have??? ....Just a shot in the dark.... if so, try this:

Select the photo from the initial screen (don't open the photo, just highlight it with your mouse). Then in the Tool menu select "convert size and format"... Near the top there is a section called "properties", click on "option" and it will bring up a slider (assuming your photo is a jpg) slide it towards "low quality", and that should do it.

HTH.... but if not, i'll be glad to resize something for you in photoshop if you want to send it to me...

"While we have the gift of life, it seems to me the only tragedy is to allow part of us to die -- whether it is our spirit, our creativity or our glorious uniqueness” -- Gilda Radner
Old 2005-10-08, 3:28pm
Kinder Gentler Sociopath

Quote:
Originally Posted by x_phoenician
Thanks Dwaine, but HOW do I change the "biteage"? So it's less than 80 Kb. I have an editing program that came with my Olympus cam and it allows me to crop and resize- but I don't see the ability to change how many Kb it is. Does it automatically happen...so as my picture is reduced in size it automatically lowers the file size? I resized to 640x480 and the Kb's were still too much.
Thanks Dwaine, Tracy

In the programs, most of them have an option like "web optimizer" or resolotion optimizer" you can't add to it, but you can take away, so you say a 200Kb Jpg at 100%, you optimize it to 90% and the quality to the human eye is just as good, but it takes 10% of the pixesl out, and then it drops drasticaly, to like 60Kb
this is what I use in Photoimpact. now, if you wish just email your images to me, I can clean them up and optimize them for you, or I can get you a copy of photoimpact, its like 400 Megs

Old 2005-10-08, 5:17pm

You guys are great! Thank you so much for helping me. I do have Ulead Photoimpact version 4...I'm guessing their probably up to 12 by now
I finally clicked on SmartSave and was able to compress it and then brought it up in my Olympus Master and resized. I know, I should be able to do both in the same program but was tired of messing with it.

Dwaine and Shesmi, I really appreciate you offering to redo my photos for me, that was pretty considerate. If I hadn't figured it out by midnight you would have been gettin' some emails.
Not as good as Jason on the beach.....
Tuh-DA! I did it

Old 2005-10-08, 8:26pm
Kinder Gentler Sociopath

its upto 10, you can download it off my AIM FTP if you want, just PM me and Ill help oyu

P.S. that is an amazing quality pic with the macro setting of your cam... very nice

Last edited by Dwaine Scum; 2005-10-08 at 8:28pm.
Old 2005-11-04, 7:21pm
Bad Machine

google the name "PIXresizer", it's free and super easy to use (yep, even to get the 80x80 )

Last edited by harpentuan; 2005-11-06 at 11:17am.
Old 2005-11-10, 1:13pm
Sallysbeads

Thanks for the tip. I downloaded the program and was able to resize my photo. Today is my first day and it's good to get things done right away.
Old 2005-11-12, 9:40pm
PyronamixK

test
Old 2008-05-15, 3:08pm
Does my glass look 2 big?

Ok, I'm having a problem with this. I can upload my images but in order for them to be the acceptable size they are really small.

I set them to the 640 x 640, and they are still too large. My resolution is set to 72. I'll upload an image in this post to show what I mean. Seems like the images I see on the threads are much larger. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?

This one is 175 x 173 (72 resolution) it's about as large as it allows me.

Old 2008-05-15, 3:42pm
LE System Admin

First off it looks like you used Adobe Photoshop to create that sample file. Apologies if I was incorrect.

The thing that Photoshop calls "resolution" that you have set to 72 refers to the number of pixels per inch. For a jpeg image that you are posting on the web, that number is largely irrelevant and does not affect the file size (which is the limit you are hitting). There are two main things that affect the file size of a jpeg file. One is the number of pixels (width x height) and the other is the compression level, or quality. The higher the quality setting, the better the picture looks but the larger the file ends up being. Another thing that can affect filesize is something called meta data. It is extra information that is stored in the file that isn't directly used to reproduce the image itself. One example of this extra info is EXIF information that most digital cameras store in files to indicate things like the shutter speed, aperture, flash settings, etc. Photoshop also likes to stick lots of extra info in files. Sometimes it will even store thumbnails of the image for quick thumbnail viewings.[*] For large multi-megabyte images, this extra metadata represents a small percentage of the file's size. But for small images with a specific audience of the web, this extra info can take a considerable amount of precious space in your file, and is also not useful. Luckily, Photoshop has a feature specifically to address your issue. Open up the original version of your pic, then resize it down to something bigger like 350x350. Now go File->Save For Web. Make sure the file type is set to JPEG and not GIF. You should now see a preview of the file with the file size in the lower left corner. You can now play with the quality setting slider to see in realtime how changing the quality affects both the file size and the image quality (set the quality down to zero so you can see the extreme end of how bad your pic can look.. but it will also shrink it down in the neighborhood of 10KB). With this Save for Web option, you should be able to get your images down below our file size limit while still keeping the dimensions (the pixel resolution) higher. You'll also no longer be publishing hidden info about your pics.

[*] as an interesting aside, there have been instances in the past where photoshop doesn't regenerate this thumbnail when resaving a file. One famous instance of this happened when a television personality had some nude photos taken. She then cropped out the nudity and posted the G-rated resulting files on her website. Several techies discovered that embedded in the files were thumbnail images of the original uncropped nude shots of her, causing her some embarassment.
Old 2008-05-15, 4:38pm

WOW! Thanks! Yep, it is Adobe Photoshop, so I am set! ... thank you so very much for such a detailed explanation.

Ooooooh interesting to know about the embedded thumbnails!!

Old 2008-05-15, 4:46pm

Ok let me see if I got it... testing, testing, 1, 2, 3.....

Old 2008-05-15, 6:48pm

Wow, I think you have got it!!

Cheers!

Deby K

Intarsia

Love Many, Trust Few, Hurt None
Old 2008-05-16, 5:28am

Thanks Deby! I'm so happy I learned something new regarding Photoshop, I can work Illustrator nicely with my stained glass patterns, but I've never taken the time to learn more tricks on Photoshop, but now since I am trying to photograph my new obsession... lampworking... I better get up to speed!

Old 2008-05-18, 3:07am

i am unable to upload photos to lampwork etc. because of the 80 kb limit. i am on a mac and i have been unable to figure out a way to make my photos fit that using the iphoto program. any ideas?
Old 2008-06-21, 9:56am
just a lampwork admirer

Quote:
Originally Posted by polka dottie View Post
i am unable to upload photos to lampwork etc. because of the 80 kb limit. i am on a mac and i have been unable to figure out a way to make my photos fit that using the iphoto program. any ideas?
In iPhoto, you cannot change any settings regarding format, compression quality, etc. Perhaps you should try another software. iPhoto is not the best when it comes to photo editing in general. It's a good viewer and album maker, and that's about it.

I would personally suggest you try GraphicConverter, for example, or Gimp. Gimp's a little harder to learn, though. But it's freeware (GC is shareware).

If you're already using Leopard (Mac OS X 10.5) you might want to check out Iris, too. There are plenty of softs out there, check out Apple's website download section. But I don't know any of these in particular.
. Thanks to you both artists for making such pretty things to brighten up people's lives.