No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-16, 3:34pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

I freaking love the Devardi glass. Sure, it has it's problems from time to time but I can give you a big ole list of plenty of glass from the "other" glass companies that cause plenty of problems. There's even a "rocky rubino" named that because it has rocks in it. I have plenty of glass that becomes frit as soon as it hits the flame, unless it's preheated in my rod warmer. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about Devardi glass problems. All the glass, regardless of the brand, have problems. You can find plenty of threads about compatability/cracking problems, bubbly clear, air in the rods, and the list goes on & on.

Vivian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2011-06-16, 5:18pm

Kristina there is a free you tube video out there somewhere that shows how to make those beads. Just type in lampwork tiger stripes or some thing along those lines and you should find it fairly easily.

Old 2011-06-16, 6:00pm
Remember to keep smiling

Look at all the pretties.
Kristina loving the adorble critters & sea bead but those pastel beads are making a statement.

Marcy I wish I had a third of your talent. I admire the versatility of your work from sculpting to gorgeous simple beads. I really like how you dressed out those flower beads.

Sonja the copper chain and spacers really make the pearly white stand out. Great job.

SRA#P109
Old 2011-06-16, 6:42pm
Nikki Haverstock

Thank you for saying what SOP means. I read this thread from time to time even though I don't use devardi. ( no particular reason, I just haven't tried it during my limited time torching) I never knew what SOP meant . Ok back to lurking
Old 2011-06-16, 6:50pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polgarra View Post
Thank you for saying what SOP means. I read this thread from time to time even though I don't use devardi. ( no particular reason, I just haven't tried it during my limited time torching) I never knew what SOP meant . Ok back to lurking
Vivian - I'm with you!

Thank you Sonja and Paula, you are jewels.

And Polgarra, you bet - it's a good reminder that abbreviations are not clear speaking! And I'm so glad you are out there lurking... the more the merrier!

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2011-06-16 at 6:52pm.
Old 2011-06-16, 7:52pm
And silence is golden

Marcy ~ Your shells are goreous! Your pressed beads came out perfect. Great choice!

Kristina ~ All of your items always seem to come out nice. I especially like the cranberry bracelet. Your pixie dust necklace is awesome! I haven't purchased any of the Devardi pixie dust yet. Are all of those beads made with Devardi glass? I'm dying to know what each one is! The pastel pink on the bottom left, (3rd one up), doesn't look like any devardi that I have. And what is the hot pink colored one on the very bottom left? Very pretty!

Sonja ~ You really have the pixie dust down pat. May I ask what the coppery one, (3rd picture down), is? Your tigers are very nice as well.
Old 2011-06-16, 8:00pm
StudioMarcy

Aw, you guys are so nice. Thank you Bethany, Nat (love the frilly bits) Diana, Sonja, Paula and Shrimp.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-06-16, 9:08pm

Marcy, Kristina & Sonja your creations are beautiful!!!!!!

Vivian

-

Old 2011-06-16, 9:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivianLampwork View Post
I freaking love the Devardi glass. Sure, it has it's problems from time to time but I can give you a big ole list of plenty of glass from the "other" glass companies that cause plenty of problems. There's even a "rocky rubino" named that because it has rocks in it. I have plenty of glass that becomes frit as soon as it hits the flame, unless it's preheated in my rod warmer. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about Devardi glass problems. All the glass, regardless of the brand, have problems. You can find plenty of threads about compatability/cracking problems, bubbly clear, air in the rods, and the list goes on & on.
Well since I have already had my butt handed to me I will tell you what the fuss was about for me. I have not yet had experiences like this with any of the other types of glass I used. Yes I am new to lampwork, but I have played with lots of glass. I was shocked at how this stuff behaved and I didn't care for it, or how it arrived. These are my opinions. They are valid.

If I am going to spend a few hours tinkering with glass, it is going to be with a product I enjoy. I am really happy for you all that love it, but I found the responses to my opinion rude and downright nuts. I have a certain brand of shoe I love. My best friend hates them. I don't rip her a new one for not liking my shoes, because that would be, well that would be sort of insane.

Old 2011-06-17, 4:23am
StudioMarcy

Hi Bran,
You are right, your opinions are valid and you have every right to express them. that's why they are forums and not personally owned threads. And I sure understand that with a limited amount of time, you will choose the brand of glass that gives you the optimum return for it. Makes a lot of sense.

I noticed you and I work on about the same equipment. If I don't follow very specific steps, I have the same results. And even then, sometimes I do. I don't own a Devardi rod warmer and sometimes my kiln preheat doesn't do it for me. Often I use a portecane which is an Italian metal rack for preheating your rods using your torch. Usually that works, but not always. I tend to be impatient sometimes and work too hot for this type of glass, and that's what gets me. My flame is too large. For colors I love and when I don't want to go through the steps, I buy the stringer. That solves my problem.

So folks, can we all get along now? Please? There is no need for feelings to be hurt. In the long run, it's just glass. Let's protect our human relationships. They are what matter in the big picture.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-06-17, 4:38am
Evil Glass Enabler

Do you mean this one? It's one of my favorites! I make a lot of these in light blue or aqua for BOC. Also the regulars but they're all in my "boy bead" list. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGzoiFiaiEo Angelique

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRiverJewelry View Post
Kristina there is a free you tube video out there somewhere that shows how to make those beads. Just type in lampwork tiger stripes or some thing along those lines and you should find it fairly easily.

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2011-06-17, 5:05am

Sonya..lol..I was so blown away by the Topaz I think i honestly didn't look close enuf to realize they were the stripes..if that makes sense.i LOVE Topaz and just took in the beauty of the color.I have some colors that do a streaky thing in my molds or marvering.
Marcy..I really like that flower press..and you did a great job with it!
"

Old 2011-06-17, 5:19am
StudioMarcy

Angelique, thanks for posting that. He has such a nice voice. I don't do all the steps he does for the bead, but his looks so nice.

Thanks Diana. I still need practice with it, but it's a lot of fun.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-06-17, 6:06am

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelique_redhead View Post
Do you mean this one? It's one of my favorites! I make a lot of these in light blue or aqua for BOC. Also the regulars but they're all in my "boy bead" list. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGzoiFiaiEo Angelique
Yes that's the one! super easy and fun to do!

Old 2011-06-17, 7:07am
And silence is golden

Snail,

I agree with Marcy. You do have a right to voice your opinion. For others, they too have that right. Sometimes, folks will come off with a pretty strong opinion as well. I'm thinking that some of us happen to like Devardi glass as much as we like our glass from other manufacturers. Thus willing to protect it's reputation. Sometimes a repeat attack on a certain glass manufacturer, doesn't help their business. Thus making it difficult for those of us to obtain the treasured glass down the road. But for the most part the manufacturer needs to know about the issues that are important to the customers like all of us.

If you were offended by any of my posts here, please accept my apologies. I wouldn't think that I initiated any harmful remarks, but one never knows how the other members read into your posts. You are very much welcome here and we are all willing to assist you whenever you have any specific questions.

Aleta
Old 2011-06-17, 10:50am

I wasn't trying to "rip you a new one" with my post. I'm just letting you know there are problems with certain glass from all the manufacturers. You might want to do some research before ordering glass in the future, so you don't get upset. Do a search on the colors you're ordering to make sure there are no problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Snail View Post
Well since I have already had my butt handed to me I will tell you what the fuss was about for me. I have not yet had experiences like this with any of the other types of glass I used. Yes I am new to lampwork, but I have played with lots of glass. I was shocked at how this stuff behaved and I didn't care for it, or how it arrived. These are my opinions. They are valid.

If I am going to spend a few hours tinkering with glass, it is going to be with a product I enjoy. I am really happy for you all that love it, but I found the responses to my opinion rude and downright nuts. I have a certain brand of shoe I love. My best friend hates them. I don't rip her a new one for not liking my shoes, because that would be, well that would be sort of insane.

Vivian

-

Old 2011-06-17, 11:03am

I did not mean to imply that you were the ripper of new ones. LOL I have been accused of being a glass retailer from another company, but not by you. I was just answering you.
Old 2011-06-17, 12:04pm
And silence is golden

At the risk of possibly causing some waves amongst glass manufacturers, I have decided to share some of my findings. I'm not through with my searching for 'bad rods' yet. I also plan to redo some of the beads after I try some of the pickling techniques. So here are some photos of what I found to be glass with slight imperfections. Bare in mind that some of the transparents never got snipped on the ends. Therefore are probably responsible for the bubble affect.

This should have been renamed 'Pink Champagne' by Vetrofond!!!

This one definitely needs a fix. Truly one of my favorite Devardis.

Another of my CiM favorites that I am trying to figure out how to get rid of the bubbles.

CiM colors that are challenging to say the least. Crack, bubbles and easy burn.

Devardi purples

More CiM bubblies

Effetre Lavender Blue

Effetre Pale Aqua - beautiful color, but this is sad, as it may be a manufacturing issue

Vetrofond Crystal Clear. This is probably one of the best examples of not snipping the end off of a new rod before introducing into the flame.

This is my absolute favorite transparent orange. Is it a color that was only issued to Jodel and she had exclusive rights to it? I don't know. Just don't seem to be able to find another like it. Lauscha does make some beautiful oranges though.

I just received a shipment of Bullseye glass yesterday. As you can see, the glass rods are all very straight. Like a lot of my orders, there will be one or more broken rods. It appears to be no fault of the vendor in this particular case. By the looks of the outside container, I'd say that the postal service may have gotten a little careless and threw my box around.

This particular batch of Effetre clear seemed to have a lot of skunge in it.

This last one is my personal favorite. Usually when there are rocks in the glass, one would expect the vendor to title the glass "rocky". But in this particular instance, the vendor neglected that small detail. I paid premium price for this glass, mind you, only to make a bead that has the rocks covering about 3/4 of it's surface.

Effetre should have named it 'Raspberry Yogurt'

Here we have the studio mascot inspecting the concrete for 'rocks'! Isn't he pretty.
Old 2011-06-17, 12:07pm
StudioMarcy

Hi Aleta,
Thanks for the photos and all your info. That was a lot of work.

Do you know that sometimes you can avoid the bubbles if your mandrel is nice and hot before laying down the clean glass? Sometimes I forget and that's when i tend to get bubbles in glass that shouldn't have it.

I'm not sure of all your glass, because I haven't tried all of it, but I do use a lot of the Effetre Trans. Aqua (or whatever it is called) That shouldn't have bubbles in it- so let me know if the mandrel trick works for you.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-06-17, 12:13pm
And silence is golden

Marcy, I always place my mandrels in the flame and get them to glow bright for a brief moment. Keep in mind that these photos are just of glasses that seem to have problems, or the bead maker herself has the problems! I will be redoing them to see if they come out better. Could just be me not knowing how to work the glasses just right. I do see a few that are good examples of not snipping the ends.
Old 2011-06-17, 12:14pm

Marcy, yes If the Mandrel isn't hot enough, that can happen with any glass.
Old 2011-06-17, 12:18pm

I kind of like the bubble effect. I have noticed too, if i don't snip ends I sometimes get a stream of bubbles.

Old 2011-06-17, 12:19pm
GlassDocNC

I make lots and lots of bubbles in transparents (probably in opaques too) if I'm working in a flame hotter than the glass likes. This is a frequent occuence as I tend to like to see glass melt quickly (a personal flaw, not a problem with the glass). If I slow down a bit, work further out or adjust the flame to make it a bit bushier and less focused, I usually get less bubbles. I am by no means an expert, that's just been my experience.

Take life with a grain of salt.....a slice of lime, and a shot of tequila.
Old 2011-06-17, 12:31pm
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imaglassgal View Post
I am by no means an expert, that's just been my experience.
Marina, You may not be an expert, but you are a 'glassgal', and any prior experience is welcomed with open arms! I plan to go a little cooler with these and see what happens.
Old 2011-06-17, 7:16pm
sunscreen me baby

I would suggest you work cooler and higher in the flame. I used to bubble my transparents until I realized I was working them too hot. Patience grasshopper!

~

Old 2011-06-17, 7:31pm
And silence is golden

This grasshopper started lampworking about 9 or 10 years ago. One would think that I would have this perfected! However, I just switched over to an oxy/propane setup this past year. My project of making beads with every glass color that I have, required rapid work. I wasn't thinking about 'cool' flame at the time. Since my post where I showed pictures of the bubbly beads, I have remade them in a cool flame. I'll get them annealed over the weekend and show the results.

I can only say that I had regressed to "newbie" status. But fear not, the remakes are just fine, and there are some pleasant surprises with the Devardi glass. Still some bubblies, but not quite as much.
Old 2011-06-17, 8:54pm

I tend to be quite impatient too and switched from a hh to a cricket several months ago. Whole new learning curve lol. And its hotter and faster which a lot of the Devardi doesn't like so I have to really check myself when I am using it, especially the transparents. I just need to remember to turn the flame down!

These are made with a base of lipstick pink from Devardi and the blood red. Which is a totally awesome color, I am going to be using it a lot!

Old 2011-06-17, 9:14pm

Shrimp, thank you so much for posting your findings. After seeing your pictures I can tell you I am definately ordering the devardi purples and violet. They are gorgeous. I just hope I can get them not so bubbly! Or I might like the bubbly look. But I definitely want those colors.
Old 2011-06-17, 9:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverRiverJewelry View Post

These are made with a base of lipstick pink from Devardi and the blood red. Which is a totally awesome color, I am going to be using it a lot!

Sonja, those beads are gorgeous. I can't get my lipstick pink to look that pretty. Could you post a picture of one of your rods if it's not too much trouble?

I did not buy them straight from devardi but I bought them from dicroic imagery and I hope I got what I wanted!
Old 2011-06-17, 9:30pm

Here you go. The rod actually looks like a very pale lavender pink to me but you can see it lightens a bit after its been in the flame. I should probably mention that some blues look purple to me so it may skew the way I see some colors also, it may look more pink to you

Closed Thread

Tags
devardi