LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Old 2006-11-18, 10:08am
Crazy Snake Lady

Default Amber Rose Recipe

For anyone interested, a collaboration of creative minds came up with the recipe for the much sought Amber Rose.

Moretti transparent lavender blue #082

Moretti transparent straw yellow #049

In the picture I used an almost 1:1 ratio with a bit more of the lavender blue. In the next batch I will be trying more of a 3:2 ratio. You get the picture. Now that you know what to mix, play around and see what you get.

Left: real thing. Right: recipe.
Old 2006-11-18, 10:10am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Laurie, this is just so stinkin' cool!!!!! YOU ROCK!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-11-18, 12:40pm
Crazy Snake Lady

I forgot to thank Courtney for her contribution. She came up with the straw yellow suggestion and that's what made it work - thanks Courtney!

I wanted to include a quick tut on mixing. I use my 1/8 mandrels and punty cut lengths of glass to them using whichever ratio I want. I then heat the glass on each mandrel into a gather and smoosh them together then slowly stretch and fold the glass until it's well incorporated. Actually it's not so much of a fold as I try to slide the glass over itself to avoid making too many bubbles. When I feel that it's mixed properly I pull the gather into a rod/stringer. That's it.

Hey, I just saw that this tutorial got 5 stars - Yipee - thanks!!!
Old 2006-11-18, 1:33pm
birdergirl ~o~

Very cool !
~Amber Rose~ is one of those colors I'd eat if I could ! YUM!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2006-11-18, 2:31pm
Is it May yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lldesigns View Post
I forgot to thank Courtney for her contribution. She came up with the straw yellow suggestion and that's what made it work - thanks Courtney!

I wanted to include a quick tut on mixing. I use my 1/8 mandrels and punty cut lengths of glass to them using whichever ratio I want. I then heat the glass on each mandrel into a gather and smoosh them together then slowly stretch and fold the glass until it's well incorporated. Actually it's not so much of a fold as I try to slide the glass over itself to avoid making too many bubbles. When I feel that it's mixed properly I pull the gather into a rod/stringer. That's it.

Hey, I just saw that this tutorial got 5 stars - Yipee - thanks!!!
Hehe, I figured with all the work, you really deserved five stars!!

For some, confusion is not a state of mind, but a way of life
Old 2006-11-18, 10:17pm

I like the new color in the photo better thn the old. Too bad satraw is the one new new color I don't have.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2006-11-19, 9:51am

I've never been able to get my hands on any of the coveted amber rose rods, so I'm thrilled to know I can duplicate it.

Thanks so much!
Benet
Old 2006-11-19, 10:57am
On A Lampwork Hiatus

I actually like the new mix better than the original in the photo also.. Such a pretty color..
Old 2006-11-19, 3:17pm

Laurie,

Awesome! Thank you, thank you, thank you. One of my favorite colors! You've just kept me from spending WAY too much money and hours looking for more.

Old 2006-11-19, 5:34pm
Crazy Snake Lady

Thanks everyone!!!

I've gotten so much from this community and it feels great to finally give something back.
Old 2006-11-19, 8:14pm
Mama said

Reason #457 that I love you people!!!

~Michelle
Old 2006-11-19, 10:08pm

Laurie, thank you! I can't wait to try this. Very generous of you to share your secret.

Old 2006-11-20, 3:02pm
Sorry for party rockin'

. . .. . . adding straw yellow to my glass stock-up list

Thank you for sharing this info, it's awesome!!!!

Old 2006-11-21, 5:43pm

Ok, I made my own mix after Laurie's sharing. I don't have straw yellow. When it came out I could barely tell the difference between the straw yellow and the Trans. Lt Brown, so I choose to go with the brown.

My mix is with 1:1 Lavendar Blu 062 and Trans. Lt. Brown 018. The bead on the left is the orginal and the bead on the right is the mix. ACK the bubbles. I would like to say that all the bubbles is because I was concentrating on color, not avoiding bubbles. Gosh, it doesn't look that bad in person. Please excuse the bead poop too.

I never would have put these two colors together before. Thanks Laurie!
Attached Images

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2006-11-21, 6:14pm
Crazy Snake Lady

Wow - great job Lara!!! We have another way to make Amber Rose!
Old 2006-11-21, 8:40pm
caffiene, beads, bedhead,

I made my own too, pretty much the same recipe only light violet, the one that looks more pink than pink, and light amber,
I think they are prettier than the original, a lil bit richer?
xo Laurie

~~
~~
Old 2006-11-21, 8:59pm

WoW thanks Ladies...I cant wait till morning so I can torch..before all the cooking prep work I need to do....My sons birthday is tommorow so I have to make his favorite supper and prepare some things for Thursday. too..I guess I will get up extra early....to cook these colors up.....
have a nice Thanksgiving....oh, and thanks for giving....
Denise
Old 2006-11-21, 9:41pm

Tell your son Happy Birthday, Denise...my daughter's birthday is tomorrow also she'll be 10..My Thanksgiving baby

Old 2010-08-06, 7:43am
Formerly FishBulb

Reviving this thread for anyone who might be interested. Thanks for this recipe -- I can't wait to try it!

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-08-06, 12:01pm

What does "punty cut" mean??? How do you attach the color rod to the mandrels???

Old 2010-08-06, 2:49pm
Crazy Snake Lady

I didn't explain it very well. It should have said attach a cut length of glass to your punty. To attach the glass to the mandrel you need to heat the end of the mandrel nice and hot - I heat it until it glows. While you're doing that you should be heating the end of glass as well. When both are hot, push the mandrel tip into the glass until it's well seated.

I hope that makes more sense.
Old 2010-08-06, 3:11pm

I like Laurie's color better then the original!

Old 2010-08-09, 11:27am

I agree! I've been wanting to take some time to try her instructions for the mix.
Old 2010-08-09, 6:30pm
Unmedicated since '62

whoever would have guessed that blue and yellow make pink

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2010-08-09, 7:57pm
Dancing Moon Shadows

Yeah, logically those would be green!

Regardless of that, I want to make some of this too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectDeb View Post
whoever would have guessed that blue and yellow make pink

[/b][/i][/font]
Old 2010-08-09, 9:06pm

I saved myself a little stash of amber rose to make something for ME [ it never happens], and now I can't find it, so I'm very excited to try this mix in the morning. Thanks so much.
Old 2010-08-26, 5:13pm

Awesome!!!

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2012-02-16, 9:56pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Ha ha! Awesome. I was on a quest to find some of the newer batch that they made trying to replicate the original Amber Rose. Now I can just make my own. I won't worry too much about bubbles since I plan on etching the beads anyway. Yay!

Old 2012-05-06, 11:44pm

bump
Old 2012-05-07, 10:00am
"Sinners have soul too"

That's so weird, I was just telling someone about this exact recipe last night.

Thanks for the bump!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinesbeads View Post
bump