LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Old 2007-08-29, 12:16pm

Default barrel bead press?

Just bought this press from http://www.mikesbrassforglass.com/mainpage.asp
i seem to be struggling, i end up with 2 flaps on the bead (to much glass)
tried again and it seemed to small.
does anyone know how to do it?

WEBSITE--
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BLOG--
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Angie x
Old 2007-08-29, 12:47pm
koregon

no

but it looks like it would be a very easy press to master

practice practice, you find the right mass, and how close to get the ends and you'll have it made.

sounds like a practice problem to me.

Old 2007-08-30, 7:40am
Cosmo and Bayley's Mom

What Kaye said plus I found that I consistently need to put less glass on the mandrel than I think I will need for this press!

Sharon
http://www.sharonjohnsondesigns.com
eBay Auctions
Old 2007-08-30, 8:37am
Senior Moment

You can always add more glass but it is more difficult to take it off. It can be done however if you heat the bead up and pull glass away with a cooler rod, then repress.

Old 2007-09-04, 12:48pm

I just got a press and have had the same issues. Wings on one then not enough on the next. Then when I try and reheat the glass to add more the bead release lets go and so forth.

I tried over two dozen until I finally got one that was correct and it turned out perfect.

What I did was took a glass rod and heated up a small gather about the size of a grape and just set it onto the mandrel and pressed it. I did not even try to make a bead and the length of the foot print was small. It was much smaller than the foot print of the die.

I am still working on getting the right amount of glass each time, but for me it was easier to melt a gather to what I thought was the correct size instead of trying to gage it while wrapping the glass around the mandrel.

One of the things that I did wrong at first was I used mandrels that were too small and then the beads would crack as one side got more glass than the other.

Just my own method I thought I would share.

The Nicest People Are On Lampwork Etc.
Old 2007-09-06, 5:00am
Your Royal Fritness

Hi Angie,

Sorry it's taken me a while to see this post. My internet been down for 4 days, argh.. This is one of my favorite presses

I make a barrel shape bead and before I press I roll it on my marvler until the ends are just a mm shy of the press ends and then I press. As usual it takes less glass then what you think.

Dawn

Old 2007-09-08, 11:10pm
Venita

Default how much glass is needed for a mold

Found this on Cattwalk...
"How can I determine how much glass is needed for a mold? "
Use some type of modeling compound (clay, play doh, silly putty) first, in your tool. Squeeze it out until only the cavity is filled. Take it out and trim off all excess. Roll it into the shape necessary (as shown in our tutorials) before pressing and keep it in front of you on your work surface as you work. You will have a living reference as to how much glass to wind on your mandrel!
Old 2007-09-09, 3:00am

I put glass on the mandrel and roll it into a very thin tube that goes almost to the ends. (Base color of white) I then roll it into frit and then marver it again. Then I'll add some transparent, then vines or whatever, then more transparent till it's almost the size I need and then add flowers.
I know that's too much info....But if you start with a thin tube and then add on to it more in the middle, a little bit at a time....you'll get it each and every time. The press is very easy to use once you get the hang of it.
I'll try and find some pics of the one's I made with it.
Just keep practicing, you'll get it in no time at all!!!
Irene