Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-03-05, 2:50am

Question Can I do boro with this oxycon?

Hello all,
I finally came to the conclusion that I really, really love beadmaking and want to step up to a minor burner or mini CC (been using a HH). I'm looking at oxycons now but $$ is limited. I want to be able to do boro. I found one at:

http://www.mountainglassarts.com/s.n...ategory.150/.f

I'm hoping someone will be able to tell me if I will be able to do boro successfully with the 10P Oxycon Unlimited Oxygen Concentrator - 8 LPM @ 10-12 PSI for $545.

Or should I not pay some bills this month and take the plunge and get the 20P Oxycon Unlimited Oxygen Concentrator - (10 LPM @ 20 PSI) Price: $849.00?

Is this a good brand or should I look at another one? I've been following some threads regarding the M10 - is that a better way to go? Any and all help appreciated, pm if you prefer. I joined the group a few months ago but only recently started to think seriously about flamework, so this is my first post too. I'm in northern Calif. near Arrow Springs. Thank you!

Ari'elle
Old 2006-03-05, 4:41am

I just got mine and hooked it up to my Piranha and love it - doing boro and having a blast! But I'm new at it so maybe others have more seasoned opinions.

Good luck!

Martha

edited to say boro beadie looking things

Last edited by CarolinaDreamDesigns; 2006-03-05 at 6:14am.
Old 2006-03-05, 5:35am

You said you want to do boro on a Minor or a Mini CC, does this mean beads, or are you wanting to blow goblets or make paperweights? A lot depends on what you want to do in boro. If the unit actually puts out 8 lpm at 10 to 12 psi, then you should be able to work boro to some degree, small beads, that sort of thing, on a Minor or Mini CC. Of course if you want to blow a goblet, then I think you will probably need a larger torch and a larger concentrator, or better yet a generator.

"It is easier to perceive error than to find truth, for the former lies on the surface and is easily seen, while the latter lies in the depth, where few are willing to search for it." Johann Wolfgang Von Goeth

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Blog
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-03-05, 6:09am
boro color bender

You can probably do some boro on a minor or a mini with that concentrator, but a Beth or GTT is much hotter and will make more things possible... the 10 PSI unit will run a Piranha perfectly. For beads and smaller work, that's my .02.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-03-05, 7:26am
In search of her path....

Hi Ari'elle
I love boro and I use to work it on concentrators too! the 10P would be GREAT especially on a Bobcat which is $195 nad worth every penny It worked my boro great it was hotter than the minor and CC Not if you got the 20P I would look at getting the Barracuda, Lynx, or Cheetah these will run on the 20p and are fantastic torches...

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2006-03-05, 8:38am
one day at a time

The Mini CC is supposed to be hotter than the Minor, and from my personal experience, the Bobcat is even hotter. I have a HH, Mini, and a Bobcat. I think the Bobcat is better choice for boro.

If you can "wing it", gosh, go for the bigger unit. So, when you upgrade later on again, you would be able to run a torch like a Barracuda with that one.
Old 2006-03-05, 8:55am
boro color bender

One 20P, puting out 10 LPM is not really enough to run a bigger torch. It will kind of run it, but the Cuda needs two of them, so it has the volume to really run right. I'm getting two of the Millenium M-20's next week to run a cuda on. I'll let you know how it works out. The 10 PSI - 10 lpm unit is perfect for a Piranha or a Bobcat.

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2006-03-05, 9:10am
Glassy Lady

If you haven't bought a torch yet, I would recommend a GTT Bobcat, it's hotter than either the Minor or the mini CC, I know, I've used all of these torches. Boro on the minor with an oxycon is possible, but it's painfully slow. It's a lot easier on a Bobcat.

BHB/PANDORA EXCHANGE IN THE PATIO
Old 2006-03-05, 11:22am

Thanks everyone for answering my questions. Right now I only plan to use boro for making small beads, but then I also told myself I would only do "a couple of beads" with my HH too. I asked about the oxycon, but now you've got me rethinking what torch to get too. I think I'll 'extend' a couple of bills and skip real food and eat ramen noodles for this month to get the bigger oxycon, LOL!

Now I've been there and done that before; know a hundred ways to prepare ramen...

Ari'elle
Old 2006-03-08, 12:53pm
Fire and Fluidity

HI Ari'elle,
My older daughter's name is Arielle (without the ' )
My other daughter, Zora(14), works on a Piranah and has no trouble making tab style beads about 1 1/4 long by 3/4 wide in boro. I have an AirSep generator with the pressure set at 20 oxy and propane at 5. Don't know the volume because it runs parallel to my Carlisle CC, we often work at the same time. I sometimes have to tell her to stop adding glass or she will have a SOB (Seriously Overworked Bead). LOL

-Don-

"It all depends on how you look at things" said the Churkendoose.

Old 2006-03-12, 5:22am
Old enough to know better

I'm running 2 Invacare concentrators and a mini cc and am able to make boro beads in a mostly reasonable length of time. I think the oxycon unlimited would be a step up from my configuration, so you shouldn't have any problems.

I'd pick the mini cc over the minor. I have a minor and just got a mini cc. The mini cc can run really HOT when running on tanked O2 - I've worked with them at Carlisle. You can get a better pinpoint flame on the mini cc and it also has good radiant heat which is a big advantage when working soft glass.

So long as I'm running on these concentrators, my oxygen supply limits my torch rather than my torch limiting my oxygen.

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912
Old 2006-03-12, 12:28pm

Since I just bought a Nortel Minor and that's my only torch right now, I should probably stick with tanked O2 and hold off on any kind of concentrator until I know what I'm doing, right?
Old 2006-03-12, 12:42pm
boro color bender

A minor on 8-10 LPM would be fine... if you want to really do a lot of boro, tanked is a better choice for a minor... it makes more possible out of that torch. Nothing is ever quite as good as pure tanked O2.

Old 2006-03-13, 5:44am
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharrison1
Since I just bought a Nortel Minor and that's my only torch right now, I should probably stick with tanked O2 and hold off on any kind of concentrator until I know what I'm doing, right?
You'll be happier with it. I'd still be using tanked O2 if it didn't weigh SO much!

All progress is based upon a universal innate desire on the part of every organism to live beyond its income.
- Samuel Butler, 1912