Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2010-02-05, 10:12am

Default Reds in Psyche by Double Helix?

Greetings!

I am still pretty new at all this. Started working with glass last summer, but have had to kinda taper things back quite a bit, as my initial enthusiastic leap into lampworking left me with a touch of tendinitis. I also don't get as much opportunity to sit at the torch with this winter's temps, as my workspace isn't heated, and I can't run the kiln and a space heater at the same time. So I try and get out to the work space whenever I can to play.

Anyway, enough of all that. My recent fixation is on the silvered glass from Double Helix. I currently have about 1/4 pound of most of the available colors from DH, just to test and see what I can do and which I like the best. I am most curious about the Psyche. The "swatch" I have seen everywhere showed a deep purple-red with some blue wafting through it. However, whenever I reduce the Psyche, I get blue, green, and teals. I also get the brown webbing when I put through an oxidizing flame. I can not seem to get any type of red or purple tone from anything I am doing. Is there something specific I should be doing to get red/purple tones? Or is the swatch I keep seeing maybe the Psyche over a base color?

Thanks in advance for the help. I've enjoyed lurking and learning from some very talented folks on the boards. Thought was time to start participating.
Old 2010-02-05, 10:41am
da General

Encase Opal Yellow with Psyche will yield magenta/red purple.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
Old 2010-02-05, 11:06am

Thanks Haley. Will give that a try!
Old 2010-02-05, 11:33am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

Also try the Canyon de Chelly from CIM with the Psyche and reduce only very slightly to get your purples and blues. You really don't want to put this glass in an oxidizing flame at all as it is a reducer. I usually will make and form the bead the way I want it in a neutral flame, then cool until ALL of the glow is gone and pass through the flame at the back of a propane flame briefly - remove and watch for the bloom. Psyche can also be fully or partially encased for some different effects as well. This set is Psyche done as above over Canyon de Chelly:
Attached Images

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2010-02-05, 11:49am

Those are gorgeous! I definitely still have a ways to go, but good to know that it is possible to get more than the teals I've been getting.

One effect that I managed to get once and really haven't been able to reproduce with any consistency is a little iridescence in the glass. I think I had the bead closer to the torch when it happened, but like I said, haven't really been able to reproduce the effect. Is the iridescence an effect of the glass? Or something caused by the propane rich flame?
Old 2010-02-05, 1:35pm

Question Double Helix

Hi
I have a rod of Psyche Red. Could this be the color you have. I only have 1 rod and have not used it yet.
penny5658