Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2008-04-14, 4:24pm
addicted to dichro

Thanks Hayley. My Dad and I found this site http://www.audubonsupply.com/browse.cfm/4,767.html earlier today and they have 12" duct pipe and elbows and everything, so hopefully that will work out o.k.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-04-15, 7:52pm
Martyrs don't bitch.

Hey Hayley.

So you went with the 10 inch fan? I was looking at their 8 inch fan today. Do you have a muffler of any sort on it or is it not too loud? I"m looking to set up something like Andrea has:

http://www.southernflames.org/Tips%2...entilation.htm

I'm having trouble figuring out what to get because I'm not setting up a hood, A hood just isn't feasible in my location.

Teague

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2008-04-15, 8:13pm
Martyrs don't bitch.

And Hayley?

Since I'm already taking your advice on ventilation and torches, would you mind just you know, popping over and setting the whole thing up for me?

Teague

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2008-04-15, 10:25pm
da General

Hiya Teague - I would love to come up! It would just to torch with you and not setting up your system coz I used a contractor! lol!

The reason I went with an in-line CAN fan was because I had a glasscraft hood set up. When I found out that the fan was actually only 250 CFM, I just swapped it out for another 10" fan.

Sorry I don't know what the requirement you will need for a funnel system. I do recommend, however, instead of having it sit at the table as Andrea's - suspend it so that the funnel is in the same angle as your flame right in its passage. If you look at some of the threads peeps have been posting on their Murano trip, you will see Lucio Bubacco's system. His is actually flexible so that you can move each on right above your torch.

The problem I see with Andrea's is that the flame curves at the tip and if you work with silver glass like I do - it will be a PITA to strike and reduce at the tip! I also think it doesn't capture the thermal plume right in front of you face (your breathing zone) as well as a suspended one.

Hope that makes sense. The exact CFM is a tough one tho. There was a thread on funnel vs hood and someone posted a cool funnel system with an old gas lamp - perhaps we can find that and ask her what CFM fan she uses!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-04-15, 10:26pm
da General

Oh - as for loudness - Andrea mounted hers outside. My CAN fan isn't as loud as squirrel cage fans but definitely is loud. It's not the fan but the air moving through the ducting.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-04-15, 10:39pm
da General

Here is the link on the funnel vs hood thread, Teague. Bead_bug has a cool system!

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=71995

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-04-15, 10:46pm
da General

If you scroll down to the April 10 pix, you will see Lucio's funnel system:

http://www.bagznbeadz.com/italy2008.htm

This also has a good pix of the system:

http://www.selseydesigns.com/ITALY2008.html

Hope these help!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-04-15, 11:51pm
I'm a lilac!

I'm using a funnel and squirrel cage... I actually feel it's more effective than the hood and box setup I had previously with the same squirrel cage.

Old 2008-04-16, 9:26am
Martyrs don't bitch.

Thanks Hayley! I've looked at some of those, but not all. My studio mate thinks the fan could get stolen or vandalized if outside the building, so we're looking at placing it in the window proper or inside. Also the owners of the building care little about what goes on inside but more about modifications to the outside or building proper.

Actually mine would be coming down from a window, so it potentially could be above the torch without much trouble.

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2008-04-16, 7:24pm
Calendar Girl

So Hayley, is this the fan you got to replace the Glasscraft fan? I need to do this also... If not, which one did you get? Did it have a power cord?
http://www.mdhydro.com/caninlinefans.html

If not, how about this one? It does have a power cord and is 10" 790 cfm. This looks like it might be my answer to a Glasscraft swap with no wiring issues. What do you all think? Would this work?

http://www.bghydro.com/BGH/itemdesc....AEFV10&eq=&Tp=

Thanks!

Last edited by Marjo; 2008-04-16 at 7:25pm. Reason: subscribe to thread
Old 2008-04-16, 10:10pm
da General

Teague - sounds like you will have it done properly! Love to see pix when it's all set up with your Cuda!!!

Kalera - do you mind posting a pix of your system? What's the CFM of your fan?

Marjo - That's exactly where I got my fan . . . the 10" one however is a newer, more streamlined model and looks like this:

I was told that the CAN fan is quieter than the Vortex and much quieter than squirrel cage ones . . . yet it's still fairly loud. The fan does come with a plug but no on/off switch, but I have the speed control so I use that for the on/off (the fan plugs into the speed control). I did a lot of incense tests and find that the speed needs to be between high and low for the fan to pull properly so if you get one, you should do that to make sure.

The reason I got the speed control is that for my hood size, 1032 CFM is a bit too much. The newer model fits in with the ducting and you don't even see the fan!

Here is my set up:

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-04-17, 9:35am
Calendar Girl

Hayley, if I ordered the same fan set up as you did, do you think it would work here?
My DH says maybe I should duct it right out the window. What do you think?

Old 2008-04-17, 9:44am
da General

Marjo - I am no expert in calculating bends and such (as in how each one lowers how much efficiency of a fan) but since our hood only requires about 775 CFM and the 10" CAN is 1032 CFM, even with two bends, I am pretty sure it should be effective for you. I would add baffles before changing the ducting to go out the window . . .

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-04-17, 9:45am
da General

Nice set up btw!!!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-04-17, 9:59am
Calendar Girl

Thanks. The black walls are hardibacker board painted with that 1000 degree barbeque grill paint. The surface is just those granite tiles you can get at Home Depot. I haven't glued em down, cause I may do the air intake thing from under the bench. If you want to see the outside, check out this thread:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=58423
When I finish organizing, I will post more pix of the inside.

So the 10 inch CAN with the speed control will give me a power cord? I'm ready to buy, so I want to make sure.

Thank you so much for all your help. I really appreciate it!

PS. I am "challenged" in this area. What is a baffle?

Last edited by Marjo; 2008-04-17 at 10:05am. Reason: Another question
Old 2008-04-17, 3:12pm
Martyrs don't bitch.

Does anyone know anything about this fan:

http://www.mdhydro.com/acairindufan.html

I was thinking of getting the 565cfm, since I'm using a funnel system I don't need much more pull, I was aiming for 500-600 cfm.

TEague

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2008-04-17, 4:57pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marjo View Post
So the 10 inch CAN with the speed control will give me a power cord? I'm ready to buy, so I want to make sure.

Thank you so much for all your help. I really appreciate it!

PS. I am "challenged" in this area. What is a baffle?
Yes, it's wired with a plug but not on/off switch.

Baffles = sides and back enclosure that extend from the hood to the table top (see mine in sheet metal). With the baffles, the fan doesn't have to work as hard since the air is contained, thus making it more efficient. Thus if you put the 1032 CFM CAN fan in your ducting with two bends and find that it's not strong enough (either light an incense right at the torch face or light and blow out a match at torch face and watch the smoke) . . . you can always add baffles to boost it efficiency.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-04-17, 4:58pm
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teague View Post
Does anyone know anything about this fan:

http://www.mdhydro.com/acairindufan.html

I was thinking of getting the 565cfm, since I'm using a funnel system I don't need much more pull, I was aiming for 500-600 cfm.

TEague
Teague, when I spoke with the mdhydro guy, he recommends the CAN over the Vortex but didn't say anything about the third brand. Give them a call!

Marjo and Teague, don't forget to ask if you get 10% off with my referral from lampworketc forum!!!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-04-17, 5:21pm
Calendar Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayley View Post
Marjo and Teague, don't forget to ask if you get 10% off with my referral from lampworketc forum!!!
Sounds good, I'll call them in the am. Anyone special I should ask for?

Old 2008-04-17, 6:30pm
Martyrs don't bitch.

Okay Hayley, I'll give them a call, thanks!

TEague

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2008-04-17, 8:20pm
da General

I forgot the guy's name but only one guy knows about the fans! I think it's the owner.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-04-18, 10:48am
Martyrs don't bitch.

Yesterday I went to all the local hardware stores to see if anyone had a suitable fan. Of course no one did. Today I started calling hydroponics places locally...duh of course we have them in Eugene. I can find the vortex and the can fans locally, for a bit more, but not the Active Air fan, of course. I gave them a call but they didn't answer, I'll try again later today.

Teague

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2008-04-18, 11:40am
da General

Found the name of the mdhydro guy I spoke with . . . Brian Ruben 866.634.9376. He told me that the CAN is quieter than the Vortex. Hope this helps!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-04-18, 3:47pm
Martyrs don't bitch.

Well I'm 0 for 2 on calling them on the phone. I sent them an e-mail, maybe they'll check it tomorrow, it does say they have Saturday hours on their phone message.

Teague

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2008-04-19, 3:10am
Calendar Girl

Hmm. I called mdhydro around 2:30 EST and they answered right away. These were the store hours from the website:
"Please note that Maryland Hydroponics store hours have changed. We are opened 5 days a week, Tuesday-12PM-6PM Wednesday 12PM-5PM Thursday 12PM-6PM Friday 12PM-5PM Saturday 9AM-3PM Closed Sunday and Monday Thank you for your patronage."
Anyway the guy I spoke to said the discount was for web-placed orders and to just make a note of Hayley and the 10% LE discount in the comments section of the checkout. He said they charge the full amount, then credit back the discount to your card. I placed my order and I got an email right away confirming the discount and a shipping notice and DHL tracking number within an hour! So my fan is en route and in PA right now.

So thanks, Hayley I've been searching for an easy Glasscraft fan solution for a while now. I'll let you know how it works out.

Old 2008-04-19, 8:12am
Martyrs don't bitch.

Yes I called during their stated hours, dunno why they didn't answer. But they did respond to my e-mail:

Teague,
Thanks for contacting us. We would recommend the active air 800. When you order the fan just go through the process and in the comment section please indicate that you were referred by Hayley and we will credit your card the 10%. Thanks again and please let us know if you have any further questions.

MARYLAND HYDROPONICS, INC.
10051 North 2nd Street
Laurel, MD 20723
Phone 1-866-MD-HYDRO (1-866-634-9376)
Fax 240-255-0768
www.mdhydro.com

So I'll do that today, I just need to decide if I need the variable speed control. My fan is only 565, so I think I would just wanted it running at full capacity all the time.

< - Click for Etsy Shop
Old 2008-04-19, 9:13am
da General

I am so glad it works out for both of you with the "Hayley" discount . . . that's funny! It's cool that they are honoring it coz it was just a handwritten note with my order that stated such (with no expiration date apparently!).

Teague, you can always add a speed control later if you need it - can get that at any hardware supply store. I can take a pix to show you mine so you know what to look for.

Let me know how it works out for both of you!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-04-21, 2:04pm
Calendar Girl

Got my CAN fan this afternoon. Wow, that was fast! I ordered it Thursday afternoon. Tomorrow I will tackle installing it...

Old 2008-04-21, 2:08pm
da General

Marjo - the CAN fan is a lot heavier than the original glasscraft fan so you will need to brace it somehow. I used a couple pieces of 2x6 and attach that to the ceiling. You can see the wood peeking out next to the ceiling lights almost to the right edge of my pix.

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-04-21, 2:17pm
Calendar Girl

When I took the fan back to my studio, the weight was the first thing I noticed. I'm thinking I might be able to use chain and hooks the same way I hung my hood. Can you see in my pic that the hood is hanging from a 2x4? I thought I would probably be able to attach chain to the bracket that came attached to the fan. What do you think?

It is so amazing to have people you've never met (in person) looking out for you. Thank you so much.