Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2008-05-19, 2:51am
Lynne Smith

Default Implosion like heart?

I love the implosion? hearts that Anouk is making. I wondered if there was a turtorial anywhere that could explain the process to me. Sherry makes similar beads. I need, need to know this.
If anyone has ideas or knows how this is done, please share.
Thanks so much,
Lynne S
Old 2008-05-19, 8:38am

I would try get into a Sherry Bellamy class if you can, I hear it's well worth it.
Ooops I see that you're too far away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-05-19, 3:17pm

Me too me too!!! I want to know. And I am never close enough to take a class!!!

Amy

Old 2008-05-20, 4:52am

Hi, Is this on or off mandrel work? Boro or soft glass? The reason I ask is Mary/Aka Moth did a tutorial on implosions, on the mandrel, using 104 glass and someone posted a heart shaped bead made with it.

If it's off mandrel and it's not Boro I would really like to know too!!!

Old 2008-05-20, 5:13am

hi to you all
i can tell you a little bit

it is on the mandrell with soft glass , lauscha clear and double helix psyche
and she used coppermesh (not the fine one)
for the heart: make a tupebead , on one site you put a collor that you like and then a piece of coppermesh on top of it and then around it you use lauscha like a diks and melt it in upsitedown. the same as a inplosion disk
so thats one ballsite of the heart.

i hope that you can understand it a little .

greatings Margoke from the Netherlands

Last edited by margoke; 2008-05-20 at 5:27am.
Old 2008-05-20, 7:53am

Wow thanks Margoke, I am going to give that a try.
Carmen
Old 2008-05-20, 9:50am
Who me?

So let me see if I understand.... the glass that looks like it's pushed through the mesh in Sherry's and others beads is actually an implosion technique?
Old 2008-05-20, 10:09am

Does anyone have a picture of this type? Curiosity is getting to me even a link would be great!!! Thanks in advance.
Old 2008-05-20, 10:19am

This might help out some:

http://lampworketc.com/forums/showth...ight=implosion
Sherena

Old 2008-05-20, 10:21am
HourGlass Studio

This is a very cool technique !!

Last edited by Laurie L; 2008-06-19 at 11:09pm.
Old 2008-05-20, 10:24am

Sherena that does help but not too sure how the glass pushes out through the mesh. Any more clues out there?
Carmen
Old 2008-05-20, 10:30am
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen Isaacs View Post
Sherena that does help but not too sure how the glass pushes out through the mesh. Any more clues out there?
Carmen
If I am correct and it is an implosion technique, heat and gravity pull the glass through the mesh. I could be wrong - it certainly wouldn't be the first time but I'm going to try it tonight.
Old 2008-05-20, 10:38am

Great Linda, will you let us know?
Old 2008-05-20, 12:57pm
Lynne Smith

Thanks everyone. I am going to try that and see what happens. If it works I will come back and show you the results and post the bead.
Lynne S
Old 2008-05-20, 6:17pm
Who me?

Well, I tried. It might have worked but the I was using this tiny copper mesh - holes were really small - back to the drawing board.
Old 2008-05-20, 6:21pm
Happy Beadmaker!

Default I tried it too...

...but couldn't get it molten enough to come thru holes. I have two sizes of mesh, one larger and you actually can stretch it somewhat in both directions which makes holes slightly larger.

Plus the mesh burns off fairly quickly so if you do it as described below, you'd have to be ultr-careful not to hit the mesh with the flame...I don't know 'bout this one!

Fun to try to figure out these mysteries of glass!
Lea

~
~
~
Old 2008-05-20, 6:41pm

There was a tutorial on implosions posted here:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4608

Found another one (that's an off-mandrel marbel though, but it has great photos):
http://www.anakinsglasseye.com/tutorial-implosion2.htm
Old 2008-05-20, 11:21pm

What confuses me is that with above tutorials the implosion would go inward...... I am totally confused! What am I not seeing??
Old 2008-05-21, 1:47am
Happy Beadmaker!

Default Backwards

Yes, Carmen, you're right. In a regular implosion, you're working the flame on the backside of the piece (the implosion "face" is already sealed in the glass closest to the rod itself). So that's what so challenging about figuring this one out...

Great minds working together,
Lea

~
~
~
Old 2008-05-21, 2:17am
Lynne Smith

Well I have tried by putting a dot of colour on the side of the bead and then adding the mesh, surrounding that with clear and slowly melting in the edge as in an implosion but Carmen is correct, I am sure, the implosion, if if happened, would be going the wrong way.
So I then tried to do it off the bead think that i would add it after I had imploded the glass through the mesh but it still did'nt happen so back to the drawing board.
I have another idea which if it works I will post about it here.
Lynne S
Old 2008-05-21, 3:11am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lea Zinke View Post
Yes, Carmen, you're right. In a regular implosion, you're working the flame on the backside of the piece (the implosion "face" is already sealed in the glass closest to the rod itself). So that's what so challenging about figuring this one out...

Great minds working together,
Lea
Well I have decided to leave it to the "great minds" because this old mind seems to be fried!!
Carmen
Old 2008-05-21, 3:42am
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne Smith View Post
Well I have tried by putting a dot of colour on the side of the bead and then adding the mesh, surrounding that with clear and slowly melting in the edge as in an implosion but Carmen is correct, I am sure, the implosion, if if happened, would be going the wrong way.
So I then tried to do it off the bead think that i would add it after I had imploded the glass through the mesh but it still did'nt happen so back to the drawing board.
I have another idea which if it works I will post about it here.
Lynne S
Lynn, after the failure on the bead I tried the same off mandrel trick - it worked a little but my mesh was so small. I made a maria of clear, attached the mesh and swipe coated the mesh with ivory. Melted in like an implosion - don't know how I'd get the darn blob on a bead if i did succeed.
Old 2008-05-21, 7:46am
It's not easy being green

I tried the off mandrel trick too.

I thought maybe pulling the mesh down a little and then turning it upside down and letting it ooze then pulling the mesh down a little, etc. It seemed like everytime it started to work then the sides would ooze around and cover the implosion.

It seems like you need to be able to grab on to the mesh and pull it up while you have the darn thing upside down for the gravity ooze but I can get a good hold of the mesh once it is on the bead.

I am wondering if leaving a good overlap folded out of mesh once wrapped around the bead would give you something like a little handle to pull on to force the ooze.....hmmmm...I think I am going to mess around with that today.

Lonni (who is just thinking out loud.)

If it was easy then everybody would do it!
Old 2008-05-21, 8:30am
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingFrog View Post
I tried the off mandrel trick too.

I thought maybe pulling the mesh down a little and then turning it upside down and letting it ooze then pulling the mesh down a little, etc. It seemed like everytime it started to work then the sides would ooze around and cover the implosion.

It seems like you need to be able to grab on to the mesh and pull it up while you have the darn thing upside down for the gravity ooze but I can get a good hold of the mesh once it is on the bead.

I am wondering if leaving a good overlap folded out of mesh once wrapped around the bead would give you something like a little handle to pull on to force the ooze.....hmmmm...I think I am going to mess around with that today.

Lonni (who is just thinking out loud.)

This is fun - I tried a layer of ivory on a mandrel followed by mesh and then clear - leaving some ends out on the mesh but by the time you get the whole thing hot enough to tug on the ends of the mesh, the mesh has melted and disappeared. I tried the same ivory, mesh, clear off mandrel and came close but my mesh is so fine I could not get the ivory to come through the holes. I have no idea how I would have transfered the off mandrel blob to a bead on a mandrel if it had worked.

There is a thread on WC where folks are trying to figure it out too. I bet Sherry is beaming ear to ear - proud that she knows how and we are dying to figure it out. She said somewhere that she is working on a tutorial for publication. I can hardly wait. tap tap tap
Old 2008-05-21, 8:44am

Me too, I can't wait for the tutorial. Lynne and I are going crazy as we are very deprived of lamp work teachers here in South Africa. I might just have to hop on a plane and go to one of Sherry's classes and bring the secret back here. I have mailed her and am waiting for a reply as to when she will be teaching in the States.
Old 2008-05-21, 8:48am

I just tried the handle thingy and it worked pretty good. I totally destroyed it trying to cover up the excess mesh but the implosion looked pretty good. I am sure this is not how Sherry does this. It was hard not to melt of the handles but I think I got the most of the implosion when I first put it on rather than oozing later.

This is really fun!

Lonni

Old 2008-05-21, 8:59am
Lynne Smith

well I am beat. I even tried putting down ivory, then mesh, covering with clear and then heating the clear and piece by piece pulling off the hot clear from the centre hoping it would pull the ivory through the mesh. Did'nt work. I then ran out of oxygen, thank heavens. This is driving me crazy.
Lynne S
Old 2008-05-21, 9:06am

I just read the thread on wetcanvas, I can't wait to see the tutorial! I didn't know she was going to do one. This has been driving me nuts for a long time and I have zero chances of going to Canada to take a class! I wish there was someplace close to me that brought in instructors. Sniffle.

Lonni

PS - Sherry, if you're reading this, Central or Southern Illinois is wonderful...really...don't mind the viscous rumors about stifling heat or freezing cold...its great...honest...you'd love it....please come here! We are really lots of fun!

Last edited by FlamingFrog; 2008-05-21 at 9:09am.
Old 2008-05-21, 9:30am
Lynne Smith

This is my last idea. Make a regular implosion on clear and keep warm. Say the dots in the implosion are green. Make a tube bead, add green dot on the side , then mesh. Take the warm implosion still attached to the clear rod and add it over the mesh. Melt in.
I can't try this as I have run out of oxygen. This is my last gasp.
Lynne S
Old 2008-05-21, 9:34am
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynne Smith View Post
This is my last idea. Make a regular implosion on clear and keep warm. Say the dots in the implosion are green. Make a tube bead, add green dot on the side , then mesh. Take the warm implosion still attached to the clear rod and add it over the mesh. Melt in.
I can't try this as I have run out of oxygen. This is my last gasp.
Lynne S

But if the implosing is sitting on top of the mesh, how do you get the appearance that the "fingers" are extruding through the mesh?

Last edited by swamper; 2008-05-21 at 9:41am. Reason: typo