LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2009-05-15, 10:27am
PyronamixK

FBAs present a restriction in the line and can cut down on the flow, but usually not so much that you can't use them. If you were to have a FB, it could burn the machine and damage it, but I don't think that it would explode, or anything like that. It would probably be more of a fire danger than anything else, with the greatest damage being to the machine itself. Of course, this is just my educated guess on what could happen. I have neither experienced it first hand nor heard from anyone else who has.
Old 2009-05-15, 7:37pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Actually a concentrator usually has a check valve in output anyway, so any FB will probably NOT get far enough back into concentrator to cause any damage...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2009-05-16, 3:18pm

Kimberly - thank you for reviving this thread and for your very thoughtful post on how flashbacks can occur even in surface-mix torches. I find your posts valuable and informative, and greatly appreciated you sharing your knowledge.

Linda
Old 2009-05-31, 7:42pm
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMLinda View Post
Kimberly - thank you for reviving this thread and for your very thoughtful post on how flashbacks can occur even in surface-mix torches. I find your posts valuable and informative, and greatly appreciated you sharing your knowledge.

Linda
Thank you, Linda. That was very kind of you to say.
Old 2010-03-20, 4:11am
Glass and Tool Hog

Quote:
Originally Posted by theglasszone View Post
As promised, and with consideration of the modifications/suggestions of Dale M. (Thank You!) to incorporate a "Z" format to the final assembly to add stability, I've completed the final "Piping Tanked Propane Into Studio" guide of sorts, along with photos of all component parts and part numbers (located just above bar codes on packages) from Home Depot which should be available Nationwide*. To assist your understanding, I've included some close ups and a few views of the final assembly. (*Some items cannot be found online, but are available in stores.)

NOTE: Please review the suggested layout as it pertains to your particular studio, particularly as to the location of both the Propane Tank and the wall hole that the pipe will enter the studio, etc. Additional modifications in pipe lengths may be necessary. It may also work to your best circumstance to have a simple "L" design as opposed to the "Z". I suggest you draw out your basic studio layout, take general measurements to determine pipe lengths necessary (wall depth, for example, as well as the distance from the exterior pipe's location where it exits the wall to the propane tank), and think this through until you are comfortable with the basic concept before purchasing.

FURTHER, I will be using hose clamps to tie in the T-Grade hosing on both ends of this assembly at the barbs – one that leads to an inline flashback and onto the torch (interior); the other that leads to a flashback/quick disconnect/regulator and on to the Propane Tank (exterior). Here we go!

WHAT YOU'LL NEED:

1. Gas Grade ½” Black Pipe (measure depth of wall and add 1" each side) threaded at both ends:

NOTE: I am not providing a part number for this item as it will vary depending on the depth of your studio wall. Suffice it to say that this is standard “Gas Grade 1/2" BLACK Pipe”, and you will want to allow approx. 2” more in the length than the actual depth of the wall. For example, if your wall depth (from inside finished wall to outside finished wall) is 6”, this pipe should be purchased in an 8” length.

In addition, if you are making the “L” or “Z” designs, additional pipe in appropriate lengths will need to be purchased and added using the Elbow listed in #5 below.

2. (Brass/Red Handle) Gas Grade Ball Type Shut Off Valve, ½” female fittings on both ends (Part # 110-523HC):

3. (Brass) Male Pipe to FIP Hex Bushing ½” x ¼” (“reducer” from 1/2" to 1/4") (Part # 17000827):

4. (Brass) Hose Barb Adapter ¼” Barb x ¼” MIP (Part # 17000192):

5. (Brass) Cast FIP to FIP Elbow ½” (Part #17000805)

6. Misc. supplies - Gas Grade "tape" for connections, several ½” hose clamps, Galvanized Steel ½” IPS 2-hole pipe strap (Sold in packs of 10):

OK - Let's do a run-through of how this all works. REMEMBER to use the proper Gas Grade Tape to insure a nice, tight fit on all connections when you do the final assembly. BE SURE TO TEST ALL CONNECTIONS FOR LEAKS (using the "soapy water/bubbles" method) once assembled and installed. Tighten as needed. SAFETY FIRST!!!

First, Parts 4 and 3 above - fit together:

Add Part 2 – Shut Off, and attach to Black Pipe:

(Same assembly on the other end of pipe)

If making the "L" or "Z", add the elbows and additional pipes as needed. At the "end of the line" so to speak, add the second (exterior) Shut off with necessary couplings and barb end to attach your hose to.

A view of the “Z” modification per Dale’s suggestion to further anchor the pipe to prevent rotation (See Dale's helpful Diagram in Post #60 above). As shown here - for picture purposes only - this assembly is turned sideways. In reality, the short pipe portion with the barb seen on the left would run through the wall into your studio and the longer portion seen standing up would actually be running horizontally against the wall toward your Propane Tank:

Hope this helps some of you out!

~DeAnne in CA
I'm so new to this art form and just setting up my tanks.

I am fully prepared to put my tank outside with the set up above,
(with elbows) my confusion is at the propane end, what goes on that
barbed end and then into the regulator on the tank, which is a screw on 1/4" fitting?

That stationary pipe is my confusion, the tank seems to also need a hose
from the regulator on the propane tank to that barbed stationary fitting?

Thanks for the newbie question. After visiting USA Gas and finding out that
they are clueless to help with a lampworking set up. I have read this thread
and printed out each part. I'm ready to go to HD but need to be less confused!

Thanks for this thread everyone!
Annie

Old 2010-03-20, 8:47am
Gentleman of Leisure

Almost everything used in piping is "common" plumbing supply or from welding industry...... Lamp work is synonymous with welding when it come to regulators, flashback arrestors, hoses, connectors....

The connection from tank to regulator should be industry standards CGA 510...

Note tank connector on end of "fixed pressure" regulator shone above, its identical to connector for welding style (propane/acetylene) regulator....

And connections between regulator and plumbing pipe uses standard "barbed fittings"....

Also with barbed fittings you need clamps....

These some in all sorts of shapes and sizes but all are "standard" thread connections...

Any changes in size between pipe and barbed fittings is done with standard reducers....

The only specialty fitting is know as a "B" fitting... It has 9/16x18 threads on one end and fits the female end of the propane gas hose (welding) and other end is standard 1/4 inch plumbing thread (tapered pipe thread) it the exact same fitting in propane (welding) regulator body....

You just have to be the informed consumer because most cases if it is not plumbing water at hardware store or plumbing WELDING torch at welding supply the clerks get sort of lost and dazed....

You may also find that you can buy short flex hoses (fuel gas/propane approved) at RV supply or local hardware store (BBQ - Camping section) that may apply to situation of getting connected between regulator and "plumbing"....

Also fitting at base of welding style regulator (hose connection) can be replaced with a connector (1/4 inch pipe thread) that will allow you to use standard plumbing piping instead of welding hose connection (b fitting)

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-03-20 at 7:54pm.
Old 2010-03-20, 7:28pm
Glass and Tool Hog

Thank you for the primer!
I am a pretty handy gal, been doing my own home improvement for ever,
but this stuff is way over my head, or was, until you all made it so much less so.
I feel confident now that I have everything here to put this all together tomorrow.
Thanks! I'll post pics when it's all said and done.

Old 2010-05-13, 4:28pm
Favorite color is shiny

Holy Maloly!! Okay, I was rocking right along with my propane set up using De's pictures, Dale's words of advice and everyone here on LE's awesome info... then.....well... I just rocked right off the track after reading this thread.

As I've said before.. the pictures help me soo much. I'm visual and the pics just work best....sigh* I'm going to try and draw a complete diagram from beginning to end, which I've yet to see (could have overlooked), mainly so that I can 1.) to see if I understand 2.) to run it by all of you for some feedback. I just need to see the whole picture...literally...haha*

I'm ready to light my torch but also scared to death.

I'm back after a long time with a cold torch. Torch Lit.... Life is goooood.....now!

---> LE
Old 2010-05-29, 9:45pm
Heart of Flame

I have just sat here for the past few hours reading every single word of this thread and I would just sincerely like to thank each and every one of you for your posts. Some of you have tremendous knowledge and the generosity to share it with those of us who are still learning. And some of you have great courage to ask questions that all of us really want to ask but sometimes are afraid to look silly.

I am in the beginning process of setting up my studio and I want to do it right!! I have my contractor and hubby saying it is no problem to have the propane in the studio in the house but I am saying no! The fact is that in this circumstance I know more than they do and it is ultimately my responsibility to keep everyone safe!

So thanks again everyone - I am sure I will have more than a few questions as the days go on - but this thread has been a great start!!!
Old 2010-05-31, 8:22am
Salt Box Beads

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd2crv View Post
I am in the beginning process of setting up my studio and I want to do it right!! I have my contractor and hubby saying it is no problem to have the propane in the studio in the house but I am saying no! The fact is that in this circumstance I know more than they do and it is ultimately my responsibility to keep everyone safe!
Excellent attitude!
Old 2011-01-29, 7:07am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wd2crv View Post
I have just sat here for the past few hours reading every single word of this thread and I would just sincerely like to thank each and every one of you for your posts. Some of you have tremendous knowledge and the generosity to share it with those of us who are still learning. And some of you have great courage to ask questions that all of us really want to ask but sometimes are afraid to look silly.

So thanks again everyone - I am sure I will have more than a few questions as the days go on - but this thread has been a great start!!!

Dittos to wd2crv

Yes, A big thanks. I am getting my studio together and the information here was very helpful.