LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-11-18, 12:38pm

Default I need a rainbow....

Ok, I need to make a reliable rainbow on a set of beads for a friend. I am having an awful time getting the colors right, I pull rods from my stash, (small mixed unlabeled lots bought second hand off local Craig's list) and the reds turn topaz, the yellows go silver, purples wash out... I am so frustrated!

I am willing to make an order from one of the glass companies to get this project done, but I am asking for your experienced guidance as to exactly what colors (by name) I should purchase!

I am using a hot head, but getting good at reduction, if needed. Would like to stick with 5 colors, if possible...

If you have pictures of your successful rainbows that would be awesome, but it's color names I really need!! Thanks in advance!
Old 2014-11-18, 1:08pm

If your colors are turning like that, it sounds like they're getting reduced. Try encasing each opaque color in clear (or a similar or other transparent to make what you don't have). Less chance of bleeding with an unwanted color change too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-11-18, 2:11pm
lurking on LE since 2005

try putting some filigrana colors together and pulling them out like a ribbon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

J-55

Check out my Encasing and HOLLOW tri-color Tutorials in my Etsy shop-and my NEW encased, layered, feathered bead!

Old 2014-11-18, 3:41pm
Senior Moment

Are you making it in opaques? Or transparents?

I prefer rainbows in transparents (but that's me LOL). This is one I made ages ago:

Name:  IMG_4351-1.jpg
Views: 1108
Size:  11.0 KB

If you decide on transparents, I believe I used:
Effetre Emerald Green
CIM Clockwork
Effetre Trans Red
CIM Azure
Effetre Rubino over clear

You could also add some
Effetre Trans Yellow
Effetre Trans Light Violet or Lauscha Dark Purple.

And yeah, it was made on a HH.

HTH
Alli

I never finish anything. I have a black belt in partial arts.
Old 2014-11-19, 6:27am

You'll get nicer deeper rainbow colours if you encase an opaque green in a transparent green, for example.

Transparent reds tend to strike from clear to red and back again (and go brown if they get too reduced), so if you're getting topaz it sounds like they aren't struck properly. Some of CiMs transparent reds don't need striking - maraschino is nice, and very like one of the Lauscha transparent reds. Have a look at the colour paddles and tester results on CiM's own website and they have lots of info.

Yellow going silver - um, not had that one, unless it was actually silver glass. Effetre transparent yellow strikes a bit again, can go somewhat misty. There are a lot of bright opaque yellows from both Effetre and CiM that are nice, depending on the exact shade you want. Effetre bright acid yellow, dark yellow, pastel yellow...

Purple: encase something like Effetre opaque purple in transparent purple to make a deeper colour. Or again CiM has some nice ones - look at the test results because you can see them made into beads.

You should be ok with any Effetre or CiM blues and greens - just don't reduce them too much or you'll get red streaks.

I like CiM creamsicle for orange (or Effetre opaque orange for a brighter orange). Transparent oranges typically strike: CiM clockwork can strike dark enough it looks red and can also go a bit cloudy.

Tbh, most standard opaque and transparent Effetre and CiM colours work fine on hotheads: make sure you are working high up in the flame, possibly turn it down a bit and your colours should stay clean. It's just the transparent reds and oranges that can be tricky. So if someone does a mixed labelled sample pack of Effetre, that should do you for most of them, and add something like CiM maraschino (or the newer limited edition reds whose names I forget!).

If you look in https://www.flickr.com/photos/kalorl...7626988767190/ everything in there was made on a hothead - they're my first year of beads.

These are all Effetre from a basic sample pack (at the back, the lighter red is orange and the dark red and browns are red...). These were from my first two weeks making beads on my own. Standard Effetre purple is somewhat grey (on the right), which is why I said to encase it in transparent. The yellow transparent beads on the left are actually light amber - the ambers are nice and don't strike. (ETA: actually, the reds at the back go orange, dark amber, red).

These are CiM

|
|
|
|

Last edited by Kalorlo; 2014-11-19 at 6:47am.
Old 2014-11-19, 6:30pm

Kalorlo, checked your flickr. Was one of the beads Totoro?
Old 2014-11-20, 2:21am

Heheh, yes it was!

|
|
|
|
Old 2014-11-20, 9:28am

I have made this one before, all Moretti. However, that won't help you if you need a rainbow in just 5 beads....

Old 2014-11-20, 2:13pm
randomly active member

If you want to keep things basic with the least amount of fuss, I would stick with Effetre. These would be a good base for the primary-type colors.

Opaque:
Red- 591438 Red Purple
Orange- 591422 Orange
Yellow- 591404 Yellow
Green- 591214 Nile Green
Blue- 591242 Medium Lapis
Violet- 591273 New Violet

Transparent
Red- 591076 Red
Orange- 591072 Orange
Yellow- 591069 Electric Yellow
Green- 591024 Dk Grass Green
Blue- 591057 Intense Blue
Violet- 591058 Ink Blue or 591039 Dk Violet

There are a ton of color choices out there and lots of variations within the color families, some of which are fussier than others, and some of which do not play well with others.

By layering transparents over opaques you can increase your color library 10-fold. But if you are looking for specific product numbers of colors that *generally* produce consistent results, that is what I would go with to start.

If you want to get more specific in the shades and tonalities of the color families, just spend hours on end perusing LE and you will find galleries and discussions about every kind of color that was ever made. Kandice also has a great color reference blog that can be very helpful: http://coloraddictionblog.blogspot.com/
.:.

Last edited by sweetiedog; 2014-11-20 at 2:22pm. Reason: wrong yellow
Old 2014-11-20, 2:20pm
randomly active member

Oh, forgot to mention that Serena's color chart is probably the most useful color reference page I have ever seen.

http://www.serenasbeadery.com/color-gallery.html

Old 2014-11-20, 5:18pm
**Fuzzy Logic**

There's this type of rainbow also. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h00_ntA8G7Y
Maybe a rainbow on a bead will allow better options for the colors?

FB friends
Old 2014-11-21, 4:38am

Kalorlo, if those were beads from your first two weeks, I think I need to put my torch away!!
Old 2014-11-21, 8:23am
Glass-aholic

Default I need a rainbow....

Twisties??? I love rainbow twistie beads! It's a process making it but it's so fun. Just remember to write down your colors to make more. (And line them up in order on your bench)
I do a white core,
Solid pastels for the main color,
In between I do I transparent coordinates, and a thin black line between colors sometimes. And encase with a thin coat of clear. I did these on the HH for years.
So example;
Red 438
Transparent red,
Black
Carrot orange special
Transparent orange
Black
Acid yellow pastel
T069
Black
Pea green
Med transparent grass green
Etc Etc Etc
Encase on clear.
Marver slightly (on a HH this helps get things moving along)
Punty up
Heat, cool slightly to get a skin
Pull.

This is one bead with rainbow cane that I did not do black in between, but applied on a black base. Just pastel, transparent repeat. So you get 2 different looks really. I think I applied this and encased it with clear so the twistie would spread as well. Then melted it in.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:

Last edited by jaci; 2014-11-21 at 8:32am.
Old 2014-11-21, 11:32am

jib: don't do that! I did do a full day one-to-one class before I got my own kit, and I'm pretty sure it made a big difference.

|
|
|
|
Old 2014-11-22, 7:33am

Sweetie dog, thank you for the lists! Perfect, exactly what I needed, there are so many color choices and shades, I get confused trying to pick just one, and don't place the order!

Jaci, thank you for the ideas! I kinda know what I want to do, but yours are so pretty, I may tweak my idea a bit!

Thanks all, for your input!
Old 2014-11-25, 1:30am

Just a thought... Instead of making the beads in different colours, have you considered different colour drugs.

I used fine frits on these.
Old 2014-11-25, 7:03am
Loving learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine-on2 View Post
Just a thought... Instead of making the beads in different colours, have you considered different colour drugs.

I used fine frits on these.
I'm trying to figure out what different color drugs means. Or was that an autocorrect?
Old 2014-11-25, 7:47am

Thank you everyone for your ideas, but we have a specific pattern in mind. Her own representation of the rainbow bridge for her cremation beads. I just am having a lot of trouble with the colors! I think a lot of it, is that I am using unlabeled rods, and can't tell what I'm going to get.
I am going to put in an order, I just need help seeing what has worked best for others.
Old 2014-11-25, 8:03am
Lifelong Student

Shine on2...I love those beads!! I used them as inspiration to make a mothers necklace; each bead represented the birthstone color of one of her her kids.
Old 2014-12-05, 12:19am
Naysayer

haha I think they mean frit = a drug? It is really

Along with Serena's chart linked above, I do like this reference, although it needs updating http://frantznewsletter.com/color%20pallete/index.htm
Old 2014-12-05, 6:55am
Biscuit Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
I'm trying to figure out what different color drugs means. Or was that an autocorrect?
That was a pretty funny autocorrect
Old 2014-12-08, 12:36am
Naysayer

A couple mentioned 591438 Red Purple, I love that red, last time I ordered it was more brown though? :/
Old 2014-12-08, 4:38pm

I got a red purple just recently, and it is burgundy in the sun, and poo brown under fluorescent! Ick!
Old 2014-12-10, 1:10am
Naysayer

yes! It used to be a gorgeous lipstick red.
Old 2014-12-22, 3:22am

For Red I would use CIM Radioflyer it is the most perfect red. I will try taking a picture of it when I get home. It is really expensive though. I like Sweetiedogs list I might swap out nile green for effertre grass green.
Old 2014-12-28, 6:25pm
Borovangelist

I don't play with soft much, but I know when I fuse, sometimes different colors will cause muddy reactions with adjacent colors because of their chemical makeup.

Given the reducing characteristics of the hot head, it's very possible something similar is happening with your colors when you try laying them near each other.

It's not helpful to get the job done, but it's something to consider.

|
|