LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-01-15, 7:04am

Default Newbie without a kiln...I need HELP!!

The title says it all....I finally got the nerve to try torching at home and it was a complete disaster. Everything broke or was distorted. I put the beads into vermiculite in the crock pot. The first set I figured maybe cooled off too much before I put them in (they all broke in half) so I was quicker to do so the next time around and they all came out looking like tops instead of beads. The studio I go to for classes had to cancel this round of lessons and I hate to be off the torch and get out of the "groove", I really want to practice at home. I would really appreciate ANY advice on how to get this whole working without a kiln thing to work for me!! Thanks!
Old 2007-01-15, 7:51am
Upstate New York

It's a sad moment when your beads end up breaking or smoosching....don't give up...it'll get better.

I think you are absolutely correct that the beads that cracked were probably breaking from being cooled too quickly. They needed to be in the vermiculite sooner. And the ones that distorted were probably put in too quickly. The trick is that you need to keep them warm in the back of the flame for a bit before you put them in the kiln or vermiculite....but not let them cool away from the flame for too long. When I'm done with a bead, I take it out of the flame & leave it warming behind the flame for about 20 seconds. If there are any red areas on the bead then it's still too hot (except if you are using Lauscha clear...that needs to be rosy when it goes in the kiln, but let's not worry about that now)...if you were to tap the bead on a marver, it should be firm before it hits the vermiculite and that should prevent any distortion.

Keep practicing....it'll be second-nature before you know it....

janie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-01-15, 7:53am
Upstate New York

P.S. You might be able to find someone through your class who has a kiln. Many people will offer to batch-anneal for you for free or for a small fee. I'd offer, but New York would be a long way to send your beads just to anneal them. I'm sure you can find someone to anneal for you until you get a kiln of your own...

Old 2007-01-15, 7:56am
Capp'in Fool

Have thought about getting a fiber blanket....but if you put them in to hot you will get fuzzy beads...

Old 2007-01-15, 8:02am
ManBearPig

Well, the good thing is you have found out what is too hot, and what is too cold to put them in the vermiculite. Now you just have to wait a little longer than the ones that drooped, and a little less time than the ones that broke.

There is a little bit of a learning curve, but once you figure it out, you'll be fine. Try making just some plain round beads and figuring out what temperature is the right temperature to put them into the vermiculite without them distorting, but without them breaking.

Old 2007-01-15, 1:11pm
Striking-impared...

I had the same thing happen when I first started out -- I used a fiber blanket and I would put them in the blanket too soon (and get fuzzies) or too late (and get thermal cracks).

Don't stop trying, though. You'll figure the "sweet spot" soon enough. It depends on the weather (is it hot or cold where you are torching), your torch itself (finding where the warming part of the flame is) and just getting to recognize when a bead is "done".

Best of luck to you!

Old 2007-01-15, 1:27pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Hey J-boat
Where are you located in florida? Maybe I can help with your annealing if your local. Everyones advice is great......and true!
I use a crockpot with vermiculite set on high. Its a small one, works great!
Sue

Old 2007-01-15, 1:37pm
trying to follow along

I'm also a newbie without a kiln using vermiculite.... I put my beads in the very tip of the flame for about a minute before putting in the pot. depending on the color I can usually see the glow of the inside of the bead. The center is still really hot so I try to keep the outside warm until the glow from the inside dissipates. I also make small beads. So far I've only lost one of mandrel piece and one ivory bead. I think the off mandrel piece was doomed from the start though lol
Old 2007-01-15, 2:03pm

Thanks everyone...I really do appreciate all your advice. I won't give up just yet, I just get so frustrated when something goes wrong!! I also hate wasting my glass like that! The studio I take classes at will anneal my beads, I just can't get them there in one piece yet!

Sue...thanks so much for the offer, unfortunately I am in the Naples/Fort Myers area (Estero to be exact).

I will take all this info and get back to the torch to try again!

Thanks again!!!
Old 2007-01-15, 2:14pm
Mr Brutus RIP

ah bummer!
Well, I find that if I get my bead finished, then wave it infront of the torch till it is all the same color (I shut off my overhead lite) then sing a few verses of what ever song I'm on at the time while waving it in the flame, then tap on a glass jar to make sure it is hard.......then put it in the crock, I usually dont' have many break. LOL I do keep my crock on high with a face cloth folded over the top. When it is cold here (yea, sure in Florida? LOL) I will bead for a while and then take my crock in the house when I'm done. Dh thinks that when the mandrels get cold my beads crack. I was finding that when it was cold I'd get the beads the next am and they woudl all crack down the middle. VERY discouraging!! anyways, sorry I couldn't help with the kiln!
sue