Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Old 2013-09-23, 7:44pm

Default Concentrator for lynx.

I got lucky and scored an M20 on Craigslist. The young man tried flameworking for a few days and decided he did not have the time for it. I bought it and the next day I took it to the local oxygen supply store. They checked it and it is putting out 96% oxygen at 9 lpm. I am using a Bethlehem Alpha and it runs okay but with a little less oomph than I thought it would.
My question is would a GTT Lynx run better/hotter because of the way they are constructed? I am making marbles and the Alpha is good for about 1.25 inches, but it takes much longer for anything bigger. I have seen opinions run both directions on the way the Lynx runs on the M20. I would love to see some definite proof from someone that runs the Lynx on a concentrator.
Thanks,
John
Old 2013-09-23, 8:35pm

I have tried that combination in the past. It did not run 100% like it does with tanked.
Old 2013-09-24, 9:24am
PyronamixK

You will get more heat out of a Lynx run on a 10 LPM concentrator than an Alpha run on a 10 LPM concentrator.

You will get more heat out of a Lynx run on tanked oxygen than an Alpha run on tanked oxygen.

The Lynx is a triple mix torch plus it has more jets, so even without employing the triple mix feature, it is hotter.
Old 2013-09-24, 11:09am

Enough to do a 2 inch boro marble in a reasonable time? I love my alpha but I want something that is a little faster. According to its specs, the M20 should run a scorpion, but at what percentage. And how do you determine that a torch is running at 100%? Is 100% raging, just below raging, or a nice steady oxydizing flame?
The other thing I have always wondered, if you are running your tank at 8 psi, what lpm are you getting? Is there an equation to find out?
Thanks,
John
Old 2013-09-24, 11:32am
I fart diamonds

What is a reasonable amount of time? A 2" marble on a Lynx isn't going to be lickety split, whether you're on a tank or concentrator. If you're looking for faster speeds on large masses of glass, you need to be looking at a 2 stage torch.

If you add a holding tank to your setup, your Lynx will perform much better:
http://web.archive.org/web/200806101...ktutorial.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-09-24, 11:42am

I guess a reasonable time for me is less about time but will I not get worn out doing just one and be able to do another marble or some other project also. I have recently been blessed with arthritis and it is hitting my shoulder on occasion. I would love a two stage torch but my budget won't allow it right now. I wanted to buy a regalia concentrator from Kim but my wife nixed it and I got lucky and found the m20 on craigslist. I am just looking for a set up that will allow me to do a satisfying amount of work. I can knock out one inch marbles fairly fast on the alpha, but would like to go a little bigger.
Thanks
Old 2013-09-24, 11:44am
I fart diamonds

Get a Homefill and a tank. You'll never have to worry about oxy consumption and you won't need to add a second concentrator. Keep your eye on CL. Sometimes, you can snag one for cheap! And you won't be limited as to what torch you can upgrade to in the future.

Last edited by shawnette; 2013-09-24 at 11:46am.
Old 2013-09-28, 7:49am

I used to do 2"+ Boro marbles on my Lynx before I got my Mirage but mostly using tanked oxy. I have run it on various concentrators at times as well. How long it takes and the work required is really dependent on your skill level and the complexity of what your making. If you could tell us what you would consider reasonable then I could give you an idea of what you might expect. If you have arthritis I would definitely suggest that you look into other tools such as a good yolk to help out as well.
Old 2013-09-29, 5:38pm

Larry, I guess reasonable for me is being able to complete something before I get too miserable with shoulder pain. The yolk idea is great but it will have to be short. The alpha is a really short torch. I am finding out, as I get more experience, that certain colors are stiffer and take or more heat to work. I did find that simply going from 2 to 3 psi on the propane makes a world of difference in how much faster I can complete a 1inch marble.
Old 2013-09-30, 3:10am

if your goal is 2" boro mibs, you want more torch then a lynx. a phantom is probably more up your alley, or a mirage if you've got rich blood lol.

all the bitch i've done about gtt and their wait times and how friggin expensive they are....well i just got myself a phantom so call me a hypocrite lol.
Old 2013-09-30, 8:38am

Seems like most that do the GTT wait time really feel it is worth it once they get their torch lol. I look forward to moving up to one of their torches when I am ready.
Old 2013-09-30, 10:39am
PyronamixK

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutWickenburgWay View Post
I got lucky and scored an M20 on Craigslist. The young man tried flameworking for a few days and decided he did not have the time for it. I bought it and the next day I took it to the local oxygen supply store. They checked it and it is putting out 96% oxygen at 9 lpm. I am using a Bethlehem Alpha and it runs okay but with a little less oomph than I thought it would.
My question is would a GTT Lynx run better/hotter because of the way they are constructed? I am making marbles and the Alpha is good for about 1.25 inches, but it takes much longer for anything bigger. I have seen opinions run both directions on the way the Lynx runs on the M20. I would love to see some definite proof from someone that runs the Lynx on a concentrator.
Thanks,
John
Does you Alpha run something like this one? He has his set at 9 LPM:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQXzwV1OsmA

Here is the same torch being run on tanked oxygen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBh8AU1YLVg

By comparing the video of the Alpha running on tanked oxygen, to what you're getting out of it on your M20, you can get an idea of how much of that torch's potential you are reaching.

Now, check out this video of the centerfire of a Bravo (same as the Alpha) being run on a different 10 LPM machine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzDHwPgklCk

If you want to see the Lynx (centerfire of Phantom) on the same concentrator, then watch this video, too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb8wODnPlzc

I would think that you would see the same kind of difference between the the Alpha and Lynx on your concentrator, as well.

So, now you can see the Alpha on tanked oxygen, on your own M20, and on another 10 LPM concentrator (the Regalia) and you can see the difference between the Alpha and Lynx on the same 10 LPM concentrator.
Old 2013-09-30, 3:34pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutWickenburgWay View Post
Seems like most that do the GTT wait time really feel it is worth it once they get their torch lol. I look forward to moving up to one of their torches when I am ready.
I have never gone that route. I bought both of mine through artcoinc.com. Great guy to deal with and he gets them regularly.
Old 2013-09-30, 6:02pm

Kim, thanks for posting the videos. The lynx has a fuller, hotter looking flame than my alpha. I tried turning up the propane today with goodvresults.

Larry, seems like artco always has a few torches tucked away in stock when no one else does. Will check with them when it is time to buy.
Old 2013-10-02, 10:33am

Right now I am making slightly larger than one inch marbles with the alpha on the M20 set to 9 lpm and 3 psi propane. I would not attempt a 2 inch one until I get a bigger torch.
Old 2013-12-09, 10:05am

for the money i think a scorpion would be the best option. it would run good on 10 lpm too. a lynx is great but on 10 lpm its probably not worth it. it would be great on 15 lpm tho, but you would get alot more surface area with a scorpion so i think it would be hotter, you have to find out what you need, a direct heating flame or a larger less concentrated flame, i see the lynx as a good pipe torch and the scorpion + a marble torch, and even on 10 lpm a scorpion would heat up a inch by inch gather a ton faster then ANYTHING else on 10 lpm. a scorpion is just like two bobcats on top of eachother, so it would in thoery be able to do a 2 inch mable in the time it takes the alpha to melt 1 inches. and with 5 lpm to each stud on a scorpion it would be a nice wide soft flame. it wouldnt be very long but the diameter is whats mostly important
Old 2013-12-31, 9:47am
ManBearPig

How does a Lynx run on two 5 LPM concentrators? I am thinking of getting a smaller torch since I can't get tanked oxygen any more. I actually have 4 5LPM concentrators in my garage that aren't being used. They are older so they may not be putting out their full capacity. I'm not trying to spend too much right now in the hopes that things will change in the future and I'll be able to run my Carlisle again.

Old 2013-12-31, 12:07pm
Wonder-wench

Cosmo, not sure you can get enough pressure from the 5 lpm's. Maybe ask GTT what they recommend, I think there is a similar size torch in their line that is better for low pressure O2.

I ran my Lynx off 1 Extreme Oxygen EX-15 unit. It worked good for soft, not sure if there was enough O2 for boro color as I didn't know much about boro and only tried it a couple of times.

Old 2014-01-01, 12:20am
I fart diamonds

It will run well but not at full capacity. Great for soft glass, but a little weak for anything boro other than smaller items. I strongly suggest adding a holding tank if you want to do anything decent sized in boro in a reasonable amount of time. (or 2. I used 2 11 gallon tanks until I got my homefill and was quite happy.)