Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-04-07, 5:43pm

Default Customer asking about lead in glass

I had an interesting question from a customer today. She asked what type of glass I used. I responded with soft glass, mostly Effetre, Moretti and CiM. She said that was good... she needed to know the types of glasses so she is sure there is no lead. She says she asks all lampwork artists the type of glass used.

I know we have to have good ventilation for our own protection, but once the glass is made, could lead still be a danger to custsomers?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

follow me on Instagram @tinkercreekcreations
Old 2014-04-07, 6:26pm

The danger isn't necessarily from absorbing lead. The more immediate problem is the legal implication of having lead on the surface of the glass. Check the CPSIA. Rubino Oro, EDP and most reduction frits leave a thin layer of lead on the surface. This can look like gold, silver or an assortment of colors depending on the thickness of the layer and the size/distribution of the particles (often in the 1 micron size). Lead is a problem and bead makers need to recognize it.

Robert
Old 2014-04-07, 7:05pm

Thank you Robert. This is good to know!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

follow me on Instagram @tinkercreekcreations
Old 2014-04-17, 11:30am

if in the surface of the glass there are is this thin layer, then this may be subjected to chemical reaction with air; so happens with coatings, most silver base, that they used to float glasses.
general speaking, can this layer reacts with the environment, i ask because i know that the glass is neutral to the most of the chemicals.

Aude sapere.

Old 2014-04-17, 4:27pm

Robert, is this a real danger after the bead is made though? Unless you have the bead in your mouth for long periods or you're making a vessel that will contain liquid that could leach the lead out over time, wouldn't it just sit on the surface of the glass.
I would think the biggest danger would be when the glass is molten and the lead is volatilized (big reason to have ventilation) in the flame. I mention this because years ago, Vince cautioned me against fuming glass with EDP. All the pretty colors were the lead coming out of the EDP and depositing on the bead.
ESC
Old 2014-04-17, 8:25pm
Artistically Absorbed

I think if it is encased there is no more danger, but I could be wrong.

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2014-04-19, 3:29pm

if you are selling beads to the EU, you need to be aware of recent new regulations regarding lead http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/...04:0006:EN:PDF