Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-11-12, 10:57am
Mary Lockwood

Default Will RedMax run RIGHT on an M15 oxycon?

And yes I did search for this. No wonder people keep asking the same questions all the time, the search was useless. LOL I typed in red max oxygen concentrator, redmax oxycon...every variation I could think of and got nothing that sounded like a straight answer.

There has to be somebody out there who has given this a go. What was it like? If you figure that tanked oxygen gives you 100% performance from the torch...what percent would the M15 oxycon give? 85%? That just might be good enough.

Surface mix top, not pre-mix.

Thanks in advance.
~~Mary

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-11-12, 11:50am

The top torch, or the bottom torch?

The top torch (surface mix) is a Minor Burner, and a M15 will run it just fine (say, 90%).

The bottom burner, maybe 20-30% (just guessing).

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2010-11-12, 12:41pm
Mary Lockwood

Yeah, I'm running a minor on it already.

I want to know how the bottom burner will run. 20-30% on an M15?

Crikies, that really sucks.

Thanks for answering me, even if it's a guess. Your guess is way better than mine!
~~Mary

Old 2010-11-12, 1:31pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Is the bottom burner a premix or a surface mix?

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-11-12, 5:49pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Is the bottom burner a premix or a surface mix?
It's a 44 port surface mix burner:

http://www.artcoinc.com/nortel_torches.php#redmax

Malcolm

Email:

Old 2010-11-13, 5:47am

I am using a red max with top pre-mix and bottom surface...A M-15 runs the top pre-mix pretty well, guess 90%, maybe 100%. Cannot tell much difference on the top with tanked or M-15. As for the bottom the M-15 gives no usable flame at all. Have read threads of someone using 3 M-15 or EX-15 and having good results. There is a video on here somewhere of someone...sorry cannot remember who, showing the red max with one M-15 connected then 2 and then all 3. If you find that you can see what one to three do. Good luck!!!
Old 2010-11-14, 4:47pm
Now part of the Dark Side

I've got a red rocket, I'm seriously considering re-plumbing it so I can use an oxycon on the center fire and tanked on the outer. The outer fire rocks but it's an oxy hog.
Old 2010-11-14, 6:18pm

Yes it does seem to suck down the oxy...I am kinda new to boro, so not sure if it is more oxy that others or not. I have been thinking about re-plumbing mine also.Either that or adding more 15s'. Let us know how the replumb goes.
Old 2010-11-15, 2:42pm
Mary Lockwood

Dang....I didn't realize what an oxygen whore the redmax is. Back to the drawing board!

Thanks for the input everyone. You are very helpful.
~~Mary

Old 2010-11-15, 5:57pm

Unfortunately, it's a fact of life:

"The bigger the torch, the more oxygen (and gas) you're going to need."

Malcolm

Email:

Old 2010-11-15, 6:17pm
Mary Lockwood

Well, yeah I get the concept, I just thought an M15 was putting out more than it is. LOL It is a huge increase in flow over the little airsep I was using before; just not enough.

Old 2010-11-15, 6:22pm
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

Mary, I can use both flames on my Barracuda with 2 - 15 oxycons. I mainly use the center fire, but if I open up the whole thing it's still HOT!!!

Vivian

-