Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2011-12-23, 7:54am

Default boro reds

Pretty new to boro and having trouble getting reds to stay red!! I am using transparent reds from a box of shorts from ABR so not sure what glass it really is. Anyway they all turn clear when heated and applied. I have tried heating far out in the flame and as cool as possible, but it still turns clear or light pink. What am I doing wrong? Or is there a transparent red that is less likely to do this. Thanks
Old 2011-12-23, 9:04am
Borovangelist

I know they often turn clear when you're applying them, but I don't think I've ever heard of them staying clear. Very odd.

Normally they come back to red in the kiln, even without a striking run.

Do you know which manufacturer the shorts came from? A thicker rod might be NS Garnet, which works fairly easily. With opaque reds you need to work them cool, but transparent ones seem to like the heat and actually strike a little better that way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Old 2011-12-23, 10:28am

When reds are heated up to apply to your piece they always turn clear, then they will turn back red when they are stuck. I haven't had much luck flame striking them so I put them in my kiln for one hour or longer and they turn red. The longer in the kiln the deeper the red. Good luck with this cause reds are so nice in glass.

Old 2011-12-23, 12:43pm
Save the Numbats

It will turn red again when you soak your piece at 1050 in the kiln.
Old 2011-12-23, 7:35pm

I had that same issue when I first started...you really Have to have a kiln for most of the reds.

Ummm TAG elvis red will flame strike pretty easy, like it goes clear...pull it out put back in towards the back and it will turn(better after kiln but at least is red in flame)

Last edited by untamedrose; 2011-12-23 at 7:44pm.
Old 2011-12-24, 12:51pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by untamedrose View Post
Ummm TAG elvis red will flame strike pretty easy, like it goes clear...pull it out put back in towards the back and it will turn(better after kiln but at least is red in flame)
Second this advice, TAG Red Elvis is the easiest to work for sure, and the most consistant & easiest to kiln strike.
Current flamethrowers: Redmax, a Mini CC, and a fancy Benelli Cordoba skeet gun.
Old 2011-12-24, 1:09pm
I know, I can't spell

I am fairly new to boro too and the only red I can't get to strike all the way back is the pomegranate by Northstar. but it also strikes mostly back.

Soon new stuff
Old 2011-12-24, 1:13pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

TAG Elvis is my go-to striking red. Best ever.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2011-12-24, 1:57pm
Save the Numbats

Elvis is a 'self striking' red. For the most part, it regains it's color when it cools down... it's a lot easier to use than typical Ruby for this reason.
Old 2011-12-25, 8:29am
Always learnin' & yearnin

I LOVE pomegranate!! or however you spell it...lol

Old 2011-12-25, 12:46pm
Pyromaniac

Pomegranate & Elvis are my go to reds. Working they go clear & strike while in the kiln.

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2011-12-26, 7:28pm

Sorry for the newby question, but yes it did strike back to nice red in the kiln... just that the pieces I was making were taking about an hour to make and did not want to have them come out clear after 8 hours of working....Thanks so much for all the advice!!!