Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-04-24, 5:46am

Default 33 and 104 mix

I recently tried to repair a pendant with a broken glass bail. I assumed it was boro. After adding a new bail and annealing, the bail and another area where I added some glass to the pendant was all cracked...looked shattered. My question is...there any way to tell if I added 104 to boro, or boro to 104?
Old 2012-04-24, 6:23am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Do you have a picture of the pendant? That might help a lot ( colorwhise)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-04-24, 6:23am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

My guess is the pendant is soft glass but not entirely sure

Old 2012-04-24, 4:54pm
specializing in obnoxious

I accidentally picked up a 104 stringer while making a boro implosion. I encased it and everything to see what would happen and the pendnat came out of the kiln with a shattered center. It was beautiful. Unstable of course but beautiful.

__Go Big, or Go Home!__

Old 2012-04-24, 9:46pm
He can do the origami

Unfortunately you probably have no way of knowing the COE of the original glass. You have no way of knowing if it was annealed properly or annealed at all. It could be any number of COE's but unless you know the original artist and ask them, you probably wont know.

It does sound like it was a COE problem but it could have been an issue with heat management as far as bringing the pendant up to a high enough temp before attempting the repair.

There are so many variables that can cause issues that I will not do repairs to unknown glasswork at all. I really do not want to be responsible for the destruction of a piece and have to explain that to a friend or client, especially if there is sentimental value attached.

Otter

Last edited by Otter's Flame; 2012-04-24 at 9:47pm. Reason: eye kant spehl or does grammur korekly