TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Old 2013-12-16, 7:33pm

Default Flame

Okay, silly question. How do you tell when your torch is running at 100%? I am now running my Lynx on two ex20 concentrators and it is much louder. But am I at 100%? What do I look for to know?
Thanks,
John
Old 2013-12-16, 9:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutWickenburgWay View Post
Okay, silly question. How do you tell when your torch is running at 100%? I am now running my Lynx on two ex20 concentrators and it is much louder. But am I at 100%? What do I look for to know?
Thanks,
John
does it do everything you need it to? Its more about the archer and less about the arrow.
Old 2013-12-16, 9:39pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryC View Post
Its more about the archer and less about the arrow.

LOVE IT!!

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 2013-12-17, 11:32am

So you imply that if it only was getting hot enough to make small soft glass beads and that is what I intend to do, that it is running at 100%. Wrong. Read my question again, give it some thought, then answer it if you know how.
Old 2013-12-17, 12:06pm

Quote:
How do you tell when your torch is running at 100%?
You need a reference. Beg/borrow/buy/steal an oxygen tank and run your torch on it for a while. Then, *you* will know what *your torch* is like at 100%

Malcolm
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2013-12-17, 2:17pm

Malcolm, thanks for the answer. I have a tank I need to fill so I will check it out.
Old 2013-12-18, 4:21am

lol, keep your chin up outwickenburgway. LarryC has this thing where if he feels superior to you (and he does to most people) he'll give you some smart assed answer that is designed to make you look stupid and make him look like a guru.

chalk it up to how he was raised, and don't take it personally.
Old 2013-12-18, 5:12am
Who me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by istandalone24/7 View Post
lol, keep your chin up outwickenburgway. LarryC has this thing where if he feels superior to you (and he does to most people) he'll give you some smart assed answer that is designed to make you look stupid and make him look like a guru.

chalk it up to how he was raised, and don't take it personally.
LOL
Old 2013-12-18, 8:27am

Quote:
So you imply that if it only was getting hot enough to make small soft glass beads and that is what I intend to do, that it is running at 100%. Wrong. Read my question again, give it some thought, then answer it if you know how.
Why do you care? My answer was an honest one that I think hits the mark perfectly. If the 100% standard is the same torch running on tanks then by definition you will never reach it using medical concentrators. They are different. Again, does it do what you need it to do? That is the important thing. There is no free lunch only compromises.

Last edited by LarryC; 2013-12-18 at 8:29am.
Old 2013-12-18, 9:24am

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
LOVE IT!!
Honest
Old 2013-12-18, 9:48am

John, I think that Malcolm is on point ( as he usually is when it comes to glass equipment )
about running on a tank. If your mix is correct a tank will produce the best flame but, if you can produce what you want with the concentrators which actually should be pretty hot then it will be easier than lugging tanks around.

Old 2013-12-18, 11:04am

Okay Larry, answer me this. Malcolm was spot on about hooking it up to an oxygen tank. Now, if I set my fuel and oxy settings to the ones listed on the GTT site, will that be 100%? What flame chracteristics will I need to look for to know it is? I read postings where someone says their torch is running at 65% on a concentrator. How do they know it really is that if you do not know what 100% looks like? I simply wanted to know that if you would read the last part of my original post. My flame percentage has absolutely nothing to do with what I need it to do.
Old 2013-12-18, 3:20pm

there is no standard. Thats the funny part. This is just labels. Only thing that matters is how the setup performs for you and if it meets your needs. seriously.
Old 2013-12-18, 3:25pm

Hi John, that's a good question and one I've asked about my Scorpion. I read a tip here to run the concentrators with the torch ports open for about 15 minutes before torching to build up purity and pressure. I've noticed a huge difference doing that. What took me 20 minutes to melt now takes 7 minutes.

Old 2013-12-18, 5:56pm

Just to clarify, if you want to know what your torch *can* do at 100%, you'd need to try it on bottles (or liquid). You don't have to *always* run bottles, but by doing it once, you'd know what your torch *can* do at 100%.

That said, most people don't need that last 1% (or 5%, or ...) of a torch's capability. Just like your car may put out 200 horsepower, how often do you need 100% of that power? You may find that your two oxycons provide "enough" power for what you're doing, even if it isn't 100% of the torch's capability. And, if they are enough, oxycons *are* a lot easier than lugging bottles around.

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2013-12-18, 6:49pm

Malcolm, to tell you the truth I am extremely happy with what my torch is doing for me. I did a 1 13/16 inch vortex in about one and a half hours, and I was not even at full power. I think it would only get better if I was on a torch with a wider flame. I am running the ex20's at 7 lpm each for better purity than running them at 10 lpm. I appreciate everyones answers and hope you all have a Merry Christmas.
Old 2013-12-18, 6:50pm

ROC, I will give that a try, thanks.
John