No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2011-06-15, 8:33am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Shrimp, no insult intended on the Walmart reference! I love this glass too and Walmart has come great products at great prices.
Old 2011-06-15, 8:43am

Kristina had peach rose murrini in some of her last beads here..
"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-06-15, 8:53am
Remember to keep smiling

Diana thanks.

Kristina are you selling any rose murrini's?????? Please...Please...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SRA#P109
Old 2011-06-15, 8:57am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Devardi Salmon Rose Murrini

I got some from Beadmonki... here is a link to her post on them:

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...postcount=2683

PM her because she makes it for a glass shop. If she doesn't have anymore to offer I would be glad to send you some to try. She made them with Devardi Salmon and Cranberry if I remember right. This bead shows it. I want to try to make Rose Murrini now that I see how Devardi holds up! Let me know if she doesn't have them to offer and I will mail you a few to play with.

Old 2011-06-15, 8:58am

Default What is this Devardi glass color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimp View Post
It seems like a lot of glass. However, it only covers an area of about 2' x 5'. I usually purchase by the 1/4 lb. of any color when I place my orders.

Here is a close-up of the Devardi. Keep in mind that it was my first time making donut beads after a lengthy hiatus. There are some that didn't come out very good. But like I said, I didn't do too bad.

I plan on making some wooden frames to store them in. I'll cut the brass rods down as well.

Dang....that's a fuzzy image.

Pia, Thanks for posting this. I know it took a lot of work.
Could you tell me color of the bead in the 7th row down, and 5th bead from the right. It almost looks like a purple/magenta. I would like to check my stock and see if I have it.

Thanks, Jim
Old 2011-06-15, 9:00am
Remember to keep smiling

Kristina thanks going to check it out right now. I have a vision! Working on a little skunk critter and he needs a little fragrant rose....lol

SRA#P109
Old 2011-06-15, 9:10am
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fine Folly Glassworks View Post
Shrimp, no insult intended on the Walmart reference! I love this glass too and Walmart has come great products at great prices.
All is good. Love ya!
Old 2011-06-15, 9:13am

Default Sorry!

[quote=Drafly;3578554]Pia, Thanks for posting this. I know it took a lot of work.
Could you tell me color of the bead in the 7th row down, and 5th bead from the right. It almost looks like a purple/magenta. I would like to check my stock and see if I have it.

Thanks, Jim[/QUOTE

Sorry, This post should have been addressed to Shrimp. Not enough coffee today. Shrimp, I would appreciate it if you could help me on this.

Thanks, Jim
Old 2011-06-15, 9:14am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaP View Post
Kristina thanks going to check it out right now. I have a vision! Working on a little skunk critter and he needs a little fragrant rose....lol
How neat. If she doesn't have them I can send you some Salmon and some Pink Roses to try.

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2011-06-15 at 9:44am.
Old 2011-06-15, 9:18am
Remember to keep smiling

Kristina thanks. I sent her a PM didn't see any in her etsy. Will let you know and thanks for being so generous.

SRA#P109
Old 2011-06-15, 9:19am
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drafly View Post
Pia, Thanks for posting this. I know it took a lot of work.

Thanks, Jim
Answering for Pia. It is SOP Violet, Jim. Under different light conditions, it tends to appear in various shades of purples. In the photo here, it does have a more purple appearance. For the most part, I would liken it to a translucent amethyst. Not a whole lot of magenta tone in it. It is one of my favorite purples!
Old 2011-06-15, 9:49am

Quote:
The endless and clever bashing comments are what are a drag, and bashing is way different than posting about a problem so that you can find help and use it to improve. And no one has a problem with problems being posted here - that is another bash that is not true.

If you have a need or a problem ANYONE here who uses this glass regularly would help you in a minute, as you have already found out. If you are struggling USING a color or making something work with Devardi glass anyone here would try to help you. So realize that it's the bashing that is the drag. It isn't done on any other Thread on LE like it is here. I get it that Devardi is really taking a share of the glass market, but that's called a Free Market, and it is a choice each buyer gets to make.

Lastly, concerning Customer Service, it doesn't surprise me that Natasha will take your glass back without a problem... that is the way these kind and devoted people are. They offer fabulous Customer Service and amazing low prices. The glass is not Saks Fifth Ave glass, it is Walmart level glass. That's the price you paid and I paid, and the bashing needs to stop unless it is your agenda.
Wow, thanks for the compliment! Clever eh? I find it interesting that someone else posted on this thread that it would be silly to think I work for another glass company. REALLY? You all think my crappy crooked newbie beads are that of someone in the glass industry? LOL! Thanks again! Two compliments in the same day! This certainly isn't what I came to this forum for.

Oh and as for Devardi customer service, I got another email this morning telling me to wrap the glass really well and insure it because they won't take it back broken. LOL!!!!!!!! How is that for ironic? Many of my rods arrived here broken!

Whatever. Lesson learned. I don't shop at Walmart. Good comparison by the way.
Old 2011-06-15, 10:04am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimp View Post
Answering for Pia. It is SOP Violet, Jim. Under different light conditions, it tends to appear in various shades of purples. In the photo here, it does have a more purple appearance. For the most part, I would liken it to a translucent amethyst. Not a whole lot of magenta tone in it. It is one of my favorite purples!
Shrimp, Thanks for the info. and thanks for sharing all the hard work.

Jim
Old 2011-06-15, 10:30am
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Snail View Post
Oh and as for Devardi customer service, I got another email this morning telling me to wrap the glass really well and insure it because they won't take it back broken. LOL!!!!!!!! How is that for ironic? Many of my rods arrived here broken!
Just send it back in a medium flat-rate box. I understand they are insured. I could be mistaken though. Just put the broken ones in a seperate wrapper and lable it. If any others get broken enroute, then I would think that your vendor would be able to see that you may have had a bad batch. It isn't always possible to get an order of devardi glass without a few broken rods. It's just evident that from their uneven pulls, there is bound to be some breakage. The beauty of that is that it will make gorgeous frit.

But wait....one more question. Did you get any of the SOP Light Lime Green or the Light Turquoise? I'll take it! PM me please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drafly View Post
Shrimp, Thanks for the info. and thanks for sharing all the hard work.

Jim
You are very welcome. It took months of, off and on work to complete the project, but it sure is paying off now.
Old 2011-06-15, 10:45am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default 4 Sets Of Rose Murrini To Try

Hey you all, I looked through my Rose Murrini from Bead Monki and I have a lot more than I thought. To lighten things up and to appologize for my getting testy and stressing some of you, I thought I would offer 4 sets of Peach and Pink Rose Murrini to any one who likes to use Devardi glass.

You will get 4 of the larger Salmon Rose Murrini and 5 of the smaller Pink Rose Murrini. Please PM me and send me your mailing address. I'll put them in the mail with a regular stamped envelope. And of course, the FIRST set goes to Paula Marie Perot! They sure make pretty roses! I am no expert, but I can also post some tips on making them spread if anyone wants them.

Old 2011-06-15, 10:48am
Remember to keep smiling

Kristina thank you so much. Can't wait to give them a try.

SRA#P109
Old 2011-06-15, 10:51am
Evil Glass Enabler

Those are AMAZING murrini. Too pretty. Angelique

Fantasy Sterling Jewelry
Hothead or Nortel Major/minor on an oxycon. Ex-hole stole the big torches after putting them on the inventory.
"If I'm not part of the solution then I'm part of the problem. Today I'm part of the problem."
Old 2011-06-15, 11:00am
Hot Glass Neophyte

TWO sets left! The next two that PM me with your mailing address get them!
Old 2011-06-15, 11:04am
Remember to keep smiling

Kristina thank you again and yes if you don't mind sharing your tips I sure don't want to waste them.

SRA#P109
Old 2011-06-15, 11:14am
Bum-chaka-laka-laka

ok what the heck is SOP? Stop talking in cryptic messages!
Old 2011-06-15, 11:15am
Always learnin' & yearnin

lol

Old 2011-06-15, 11:18am
Hot Glass Neophyte

There are endless ways to apply murrini, but here is one simple way.

Preheat your base bead where you will apply the murrini. In a cool flame put a tiny dot of the color of the rose (or use clear) on the base bead and then hold the murrini in long tweezers and wave it in the high/side of the flame to pre-warm it. It can also be pre-warmed on a Rod Warmer but still wave it on it's underside just before placing it on the base bead dot.

Heat the base bead spot and dot and set the murrini firmly on the dot and quickly pick up your marver or tool and gently press the murrini with the flat edge (don't flattened it - just gently press). I heat it on my Hothead right before pressing. I don't know if a mixed torch would be to hot for this extra heating, you will have to judge. The purpose is to seat it and make sure the top surface is flat.

Then apply a molten dot of clear with a stringer. Hold the stringer a second before pulling it off so you don't pull up the murrini. Then gently shape the dot with heat and/or a tool. Use your tool to gently spread the edges down all the way around, one edge at a time. You can even draw out a bit if using brass. Your tool is on top of the clear so you are pulling the clear cap and thereby spreading the petals.

You CAN just apply that clear cap and use heat to make the clear melt and spread and spread the petals with it.

The OTHER way is fancier and more challenging. You pull the murrini to a tip and let it cool and then heat the base bead and press it into the bead to seat it in a bit, and do as instructed above. The difference here is that your rose goes down into a center instead of having it's wide base.

Hope that gives you some verbal pictures and is more clear than mud!

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2011-06-15 at 11:25am.
Old 2011-06-15, 11:19am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pia Kaven View Post
ok what the heck is SOP? Stop talking in cryptic messages!
Sorry - I hate abbreviations too... SOP stands for Semi Opaque.
Old 2011-06-15, 11:24am
Hot Glass Neophyte

OKAY all gone! I hope the winners have a great time, and if you like something you make be sure to post a pic!
Old 2011-06-15, 11:27am
Always learnin' & yearnin

You are too kind Kristina!

Old 2011-06-15, 11:30am
Remember to keep smiling

YEAH!!!! that was so awesome. When pulling the murrini to a tip from the back are you saying this makes for a tighter rose and if so when I apply the clear cap will it spread the petals back out? I know....duh!

SRA#P109
Old 2011-06-15, 11:34am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaP View Post
YEAH!!!! that was so awesome. When pulling the murrini to a tip from the back are you saying this makes for a tighter rose and if so when I apply the clear cap will it spread the petals back out? I know....duh!
Yes - what you said! The point becomes the inner center. Like a tiny cone you press it point-first into the base, leaving at least half above the surface of the bead. Then apply the dot of clear and help the petals spread with heat or a tool.

It is hard to pull to a point once the murrini are cut. Better to pull points from a cane and then cut the murrini cone. But you can gently use tweezers or pliers to shape the bottom into a cone shape. You will have to experiment.

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2011-06-15 at 12:02pm.
Old 2011-06-15, 12:08pm
Remember to keep smiling

Can't wait to try them out.

SRA#P109
Old 2011-06-15, 12:26pm
My opinion not needed

Quote:
I would encourage you to post your Devardi glass for sale and stop the endless complaints. You have made it clear it isn't for you.
That was rude and uncalled for. She is stating her opinion as we ALL have a right to do that. Not to mention the fact that she was encouraged to share her thoughts.

Old 2011-06-15, 12:31pm
My opinion not needed

It is THAT kind of attitude that will always keep me from trying this glass. The attitudes I have seen surrounding Devardi glass ... "this glass rocks or STFU" ... "if you have shocky glass it's because you are working it wrong."

Nice ... real nice helpful attitudes

Closed Thread

Tags
devardi