No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2012-05-16, 6:16pm
shirts

Default heating and lighting questions

So, the studio construction has begun! Today I met with my electrician friend and we started to try to figure out the electrical specifics for my 8x10ft studio (in the backyard).

I have perused through the threads and done my best to try to find this info - please forgive me if this is repeating other threads - I didn't find the info I was searching for...

First off: HEATING. I live in Canada, 1.5 hours northeast of Toronto - it gets cold here. The studio will be insulated. I am hoping to set up the make-up air so that it is behind the torch (using a handy diagram from artglassanswers.com), and looking to find some kind of infrared/radiant heater. My question is does the studio need to maintain a certain temperature all the time (slightly above freezing) in order to avoid condensation issues? Do I have to worry about that affecting equipment? Is it Best Practice to not let the inside of the studio freeze? At the end of May, our electrical utilities are switching over to Smart Metres, and needless to say, I am worried about using lots of electricity in the peak times and using baseboard electric heaters always makes me anxious of costs...

Second: LIGHTING. I would love to see some examples of how folks set up sufficient lighting in and around their torch area. Any special things to consider (like how not to melt THAT glass!)? Tips for success? Things to avoid?

Third: VENT HOOD. Can I use a store bought kitchen vent hood as the "catch" for the fumes and then be sucked out by my strong fan? I realize that there is probably a difference in ducting size between the vent hood and the larger fan). I understand that the fan of a vent hood is not sufficient to remove the air and am not interested in doing that.

I would love to know about other's experiences and what you have learned.
Thanks so much,
Annie.
Old 2012-05-17, 7:48am
Curmudgeon Engineering

HEATING - I use a simple round radiant heater aimed at my working position. Keep in mind that your kiln will add heat also.

LIGHTING - I prefer incandescent lighting over my 'desk' area. Fluorescent as main lighting and as an indicator under my vent hood. Maybe a high intensity where you do your fine work. They now have fluorescent bulbs that are close to incendescent in color which I am switching over to as the old one burn out.

VENT HOOD - Many people use kitchen hoods as a catchment. They can be gotten with a 7" duct connection which should be fine for a studio your size. Do the calculations and you will be fine. Adapters are available to adapt the 7" to your fan size but I think 7" would work out well.
Old 2012-05-17, 2:07pm
shirts

Great! Thanks for the info! Do I have to worry about the the temperature inside the studio going down below freezing in the winter? Do I need to keep it slightly heated?
The electrician is out getting things prepped! I hope to get the insulation in and drywall on this weekend!!
Old 2012-05-19, 6:44am

I use a crock pot with bubbles in it to hold my beads as they cool. I found that after they are cooled, then I have to bring them in the house at night or they break when the temps are that cold.

sounds pretty logic, but I found this out the hard way because I thot the crock pot and bubbles, even tho I shut it off at night, would have been enough protection.

it takes my space a couple of hours to warm up when the temps are that low before I can start making beads.

I also have a small ceramic heater that I use to heat the glass.

hope you are taking pictures to share. ??
Old 2012-05-21, 10:05am
Curmudgeon Engineering

It doesn't get that cold here so I do not heat my studio when I'm not in it. No problems in that area so far.
I suppose yopur bead release or other water based materials could freeze in really cold places but I can't speak to that.
Old 2012-05-22, 1:02pm

I live in snow country and use a small radiant electric heater. It is really low to the ground and like a long tube. I don't have an insulated shedio but this works well.
Old 2012-05-23, 12:04pm

I live in Minnesota, so it gets cold. Shed is well insulated and has two baseboard heaters. I keep temp set at 50 when I'm not out there [to protect the oxycons] - it warms up pretty quick once the torch and kiln are going. I have a heated anti-fatique mat to help keep my toes warm when it's really cold. Make-up air comes in at the back of my bench top - vent pipe goes up and back over my head before going out the side wall [to keep it more than 10 feet from the intake air]. If I bring air in through the window in the winter it gets too cold in there.

In the summer I keep the intake air on the bench top covered [magnetic vent cover] and open the window behind me - the breeze coming past me help to moderate the heat slightly - [or at least dry the sweat - LOL]

"The creative process is a process of surrender, not control.” Julia Cameron

Scorpion on 2 concentrators
Old 2012-05-23, 12:07pm

There are some photos of my shed in this thread -

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=132109

It doesn't look nearly as neat and tidy as it did in those photos - it's been well used!!

"The creative process is a process of surrender, not control.” Julia Cameron

Scorpion on 2 concentrators

Last edited by wendybritt; 2012-05-23 at 12:10pm.