No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-02-04, 7:51am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Default How do you make frit stick?

Okay, what am I doing wrong? I can't seem to get frit to stick to a bead, no matter how hot the bead is when I try rolling it in the frit.

I AM learning... painfully, in some cases. Today's Big Lesson was "don't put that perfect bead you finally made into the fiber blanket while it's still soft."

sigh

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
L-111

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-02-04, 8:07am

Smile

Hi Pat, see, every day is a good learning lesson.

Are you traveling a long distance from your frit dish to the flame? You will not likely be able to completely cover a bead circumference in one application. If this is what you are trying, that could be the problem. Heat, especially in this cold weather, will dissipate faster. Try dipping sections at a time, and immediately back to the flame and get that whole bead evenly hot before doing more frit application.

Old 2012-02-04, 9:23am
Salt Box Beads

And just a quick heads up for you in case you didn't know, if you are using 96 coe frit blends on 104 coe you shouldn't use very much. The rule is 10-15% in quantity compared to the original bead size.

Have fun and believe it or not lampworking is like golf, there is always room for improvment, even we oldsters learn knew things almost every time we torch and we love it, well I know I do. Keeps it exciting and interesting and challenging.

You will always be learning and once you can get into a just do it, use it and learn about it frame of mind knowing that practice is the key you will win many battles..LOL

From your posts it would seem that you are that kind of person and already in to just do it. You are always going to have fun with lampworking.

Some poor people get so focused on the end result they forget to have fun with the journey.
Old 2012-02-04, 3:28pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Everything is 104, so that shouldn't be an issue, but the room I'm working in is VERY cold, especially after I turn the ventilation on, so that's probably the source of the problem. I'll try either moving my frit dish closer to the flame or just doing a small spot at a time. Thanks for the help!

I'm prepared to invest as much time as it takes to develop some skills - I don't expect to get good overnight, I know anything worth doing takes time. And soon I'll HAVE time... I'm retiring at the end of March. (Of course, I'm one of those people who will probably be busier after retirement than I am now, but that's all good!)

L-111

Old 2012-02-04, 3:37pm
Happy Inner Dragon

Yep, if it's cold, try having your frit directly on the bench under your flame. Then it's just a matter of dip, lift, dip and so on.

Oh, and I see you like a good boog, too That IS a boogieboard under your wing, isn't it?

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2012-02-04, 4:22pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Yup, that's my boogie board - and my dearly beloved gave me a longboard for my 55th birthday. Haven't had much time with that yet - we live inland, only get a couple of weeks a year at the beach, and last year I was recuperating from a fractured tailbone, and just couldn't risk a fall. I'm amphibious by nature - this time of year is wretched, because if I'm not in, on, or under the water on a regular basis I start to sink into despair.

Having flamework to play with is keeping my mind off winter, though! I'm going to have to get back on the torch tonight - the book I'm studying suggests using a spoon to hold the frit, which would let me get it closer to the torch, which should help. I wouldn't be so worried about the frit, but it's really hard to make a nudibranch without it... LOL

L-111

Old 2012-02-04, 4:37pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

I would highly recommend taking a class. There are tons all over the
place, and if you can get yourself into a good basic class, you will
learn more in one day than trying to figure things out by yourself
in a year. Plus, you'll save money on not wasting glass and supplies.

Are you near any glass shops?

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2012-02-04, 5:22pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

I've got nothing local. The closest place I can get a class is 45 minutes away, and what they offer is really limited. But I'm not sure I'd take classes anyway - I'm kind of a do-it-yourselfer by nature. I actually thrive on the figuring it out process. Granted, it takes longer, but I think I understand and retain better.

I'm not worried about wasting supplies - I have about 50 pounds of random Moretti, Lauscha and Vetrofond shorts that I picked up off eBay to practice with plus another 30 or 40 pounds of Moretti. I even have a little bit of Double Helix set aside for some day when I feel worthy!

Plus I have the philosophy that everything that I ruin is just Future Frit! (I think that's one of the things I like best about this - when I paint a bad canvas, there's no reusing that paint.)

L-111

Old 2012-02-04, 5:42pm
Wonder-wench

Hi Pat,

I second the idea of taking a class if you can, but if not, YouTube has lots of little clips to watch people making various types of beads and other stuff. It's nice because you can see some basic skills in action and get a sense of what you can do at the torch yourself.

Good luck, have fun and woohoo about the impending retirement!

Old 2012-02-04, 6:10pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

oh, believe me, I spend as much time watching lampworking video on youtube as I possibly can! And I bought a couple of really good books, plus I'm gradually working my way through everything on this site - just trying to balance the study with the practice!

The funny thing is, I watched the youtube stuff for a couple of weeks before I even opened the box on my starter kit, and I really felt comfortable when I started.

The scariest part of the whole process for me is how *fast* I'm getting too comfortable. Ya'll would fall down laughing if you saw me gear up to torch - not just eyewear and natural fabrics, I'm wearing Kevlar sleeves, a leather welders apron, REALLY determined not to burn myself. Then last night I'm trying to figure out why my feet are so cold... and I realize I'm standing on my steel stove board in BARE FEET.

sigh

L-111

Old 2012-02-04, 9:31pm

Maybe you are close to Corning and can take a class there...

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2012-02-05, 5:18am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Over 3 hours from Corning - I haven't even managed to visit the museum in over 40 years. (The glass flowers at the Corning museum are one of the reasons I've always wanted to take up flamework!) I hope to remedy that this summer, but more likely next year.

Tried the frit in a spoon technique last night, and it worked brilliantly! Used some of my home made "crushed mistakes" frit on one, and some Double Helix Aurae on another - pleasently surprised to find that I can get it to react on a Hot Head, now I have to try it on other base colors.

I know, I know, in theory I shouldn't be meddling with fancy techniques until I have the basics grooved, but I've got a low threshold for boredom. I split my sessions in half; work on fundamentals for awhile then free myself to play. Had an *almost* successful implosion last night, badly cracked because I kept it out TOO long before cooling it in the fiber - shopping trip to buy vermiculite today.

I'm having an awful lot of fun with this.

L-111

Old 2012-02-05, 12:20pm
one day at a time

Trial and error, you will get it. It is purely a matter of timing.

To help get a good coat, make a little shallow "well" in your pile of frit, and this is for when you roll it, the frit will cover well up to the holes. I put my frit in little mini stainless steel gravy boats. Any kind of shallow metal cup will do, or one of the metal frit holders that the glass supply vendors sell. Those are nice. I never liked putting my frit on a flat surface, because it flattens out and I can't get a good roll in it.

You shape your bead in the flame first and get it evenly rounded. Then you let cool slightly while still turning the mandrel, so you don't lose the shape. Then hit the flame again to get just the surface of the bead hot again (while still turning), and immediately go down to your frit bowl to roll. This quick heating and moving down to the frit ensures the surface is hot enough to pick up the frit, and since you only reheated the surface quickly, the bead won't warp because you didn't overheat the core.

After the roll, and when you get back in the flame again to melt the frit in, you might noticed the bead is a little out of shape, but don't worry about that. As you reheat and melt it in, you can reshape too.

A video would be better, but I hope this helps!

Last edited by Lisi; 2012-02-05 at 12:23pm.
Old 2012-02-05, 1:24pm

my frit dish is a metal spoon rest that sits on the top an electric coffee cup warmer. this keeps the frit warm while it's waiting.

I also have a small ceramic heater on the left side of my work space to help heat up the area as well as the glass.
Old 2012-02-05, 8:01pm
one day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorisue View Post
my frit dish is a metal spoon rest that sits on the top an electric coffee cup warmer. this keeps the frit warm while it's waiting.

I also have a small ceramic heater on the left side of my work space to help heat up the area as well as the glass.
This might be a good thing to do if you live in an area where the temps drop really low. But you really don't need to keep frit heated, it's the hot bead and just the right time that makes the difference.
Old 2012-02-05, 8:25pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Your glass just isn't hot enough. It is pretty quick timing. Heat well, roll in frit. I have my frit on the table so it still sticks even though I am having to bring the bead down to the frit. Quick quick steps. If the glass is not hot enough there is no "glue" for the frit to stick to. Ha, weird explanation I know.

Old 2012-02-06, 7:42am

Quote:
Originally Posted by eregel View Post
Over 3 hours from Corning - I haven't even managed to visit the museum in over 40 years. (The glass flowers at the Corning museum are one of the reasons I've always wanted to take up flamework!) I hope to remedy that this summer, but more likely next year.

Tried the frit in a spoon technique last night, and it worked brilliantly! Used some of my home made "crushed mistakes" frit on one, and some Double Helix Aurae on another - pleasently surprised to find that I can get it to react on a Hot Head, now I have to try it on other base colors.

I know, I know, in theory I shouldn't be meddling with fancy techniques until I have the basics grooved, but I've got a low threshold for boredom. I split my sessions in half; work on fundamentals for awhile then free myself to play. Had an *almost* successful implosion last night, badly cracked because I kept it out TOO long before cooling it in the fiber - shopping trip to buy vermiculite today.

I disagree - try as many fancy techniques as you want - the goal at this point is to have fun - the more fun that you are having, the more time you will spend at the torch, the more time you spend at the torch, the more that you will learn. PPP [practice, practice, practice] but by all means have fun while you are doing it!!!

Welcome to the obsession

"The creative process is a process of surrender, not control.” Julia Cameron

Scorpion on 2 concentrators
Old 2012-02-06, 9:30am
da General

Quote:
Originally Posted by eregel View Post
. . . and some Double Helix Aurae on another - pleasently surprised to find that I can get it to react on a Hot Head, now I have to try it on other base colors.

That's exactly what I did too when I first started lampworking. Followed Ofilia's fish tutorial second month into it and realized I had to learn how to make a hollow bead first so I did! lol! And implosions like you too! Six months into it I got Double Helix and Precision (was called R4/Rocio then) samplers for Christmas, spent five days over the holiday playing with the silver glass and never looked back!

All reducing silver glass works on a HH, striking ones are much trickier but if you are patient, some can work too but you won't get the same vibrancy in the colors. Post #4 in my silver color exchange SE9 in the patio has a list of what's reducing and what's striking if you are interested.

The ISGB Gathering is heading back to Rochester next year - you may want to consider attending if not for the classes, for all the glass goodies and presentations!

|
|
|
|
Old 2012-02-06, 10:08am
burnin' glass just becuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendybritt View Post
I disagree - try as many fancy techniques as you want - the goal at this point is to have fun - the more fun that you are having, the more time you will spend at the torch, the more time you spend at the torch, the more that you will learn. PPP [practice, practice, practice] but by all means have fun while you are doing it!!!

Welcome to the obsession
i'd agree... try whatever interests you - that's a quick way to figure out what you enjoy doing vs not. Also, some of the more "advanced" techniques may come to you naturally - not everything takes practice for everyone. e.g. i've been able to encase, sculpt and use frit pretty effortlessly since my first few attempts but anything like precise dots, discs & hollows still escape me and i've been at this almost six years. i also don't practice those techniques much cuz i realized i really don't enjoy them anyway and they're not needed for the type of work i create at the moment (altho that may change in future).

Right now i focus my efforts and practice sessions on techniques i enjoy & actually want to learn - lately fine stringer work and murrini...

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2012-02-06, 11:24am
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

Hayley - any idea what time of year Rochester is going to be? I'd love to plan on that, but I plan travel el a year out. Never Mind - I found the website and figured it out! May have to start planning for that.

And Wendy - one of my favorite quotes is Coach Bob's secret of life from Hotel New Hampshire: "Get obsessed, stay obsessed, and keep walking past the open windows." Could easily be my motto!

L-111

Last edited by eregel; 2012-02-06 at 3:47pm.
Old 2012-02-06, 9:17pm

A good source for helpful tips is the thread Kalera started titled "Ask me anything". She offered some advice about handling frit popping off (if that's what happens for you). She suggested after rolling the bead in the frit to give the frit a moment to absorb some heat from the bead before reintroducing it to the flame.

Andrea
Old 2012-02-06, 9:39pm
Lampworkaholic!

I use a stainless steel teaspoon with a short handle for frit. I bring my frit up to the bead. I make a round bead, then a disk bead on top of the round bead. I don't roll the disk in the frit, it is more like warm, touch, re-warm, touch, re-warm, touch. Three or four touches to get around the bead. Then I melt the disk with frit down into the base bead, letting the frit spread out. I do this for most of my frit beads with a couple of exceptions where I don't want the frit to spread out. I'm writing a tutorial on some of the ways I use frit.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-02-08, 4:01pm
Triumphantly Knit!

Keep walking past the open windows!!! Boy did that bring a smile to my face. I love that movie, I hate parts of it but love more of it (and the book).

Your bead needs to be hot for the frit to stick, so that's what's not working for you. A very common lesson for we noobies.

That and heat the frit in slowly so it doesn't go flying off the bead, them little pieces can be hot bouncing off your hand.

I don't believe in rules per se, other than safety--have fun and play, you'll learn what you need to along the way. I started off following along a lampworking book and the my add/boredom chip would kick in and I would just play.

I'm still having that problem. I want to work on a technique and I get distracted or an idea and try something else. thing is, I have beads I made a year ago that I love but haven't the slightest idea how to do it again, so I recommend taking notes and if you're organised enough pictures.

Learn at your own pace. When you can take a really good class from a really good teacher. Cheap is not always best.

Welcome to your latest addiction and enjoy the glory or playing with fire and melting glass.

namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2012-02-08, 4:36pm
ScrapSurfGlassPaddleSew

I'm having much better results using the spoon method - it's REALLY cold in the room I'm using now, the instant I'm out of the flame things start to get solid really fast. (I think that's part of my issue with trying to pull thicker stringers, too - there's a really small window where I can work the hot glass) I suspect it's all going to get easier in a month or two when it warms up a little.

L-111

Old 2012-02-09, 3:00pm
Heart of Flame

Hi Pat! I'm a relative newbie too and have enjoyed reading this thread. Are you close to Niagara Falls? Cause just up the road from there is a great bead store with a lampworking studio. I believe they have classes from time-to-time.

Good luck in your journey!