Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-03-23, 8:24pm

Default Milk Glass Color

I saw, in a thread somewhere, a beautiful 104 glass that was like a milk glass. Does anyone know what it is?

"Whether you believe that you can or believe that you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford
Old 2011-03-23, 9:14pm
"Sinners have soul too"

Is milk glass not just white glass? I had to go and Google it... I'm coming up with white dishes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-03-23, 11:06pm
I speak Murrini!

If you're looking for the "opalescence" that vintage Depression-era "milk glass" would sometimes get - especially in thinner pressed glass items and along the edges of goblets, dresser boxes, etc. - consider checking out CiM's "Cirrus"...yum! (here's a gorgeous example: http://www.twoglassyladies.ca/?p=1153)

Then there's the ever-hard-to-find and no longer made "French Opalescent" glass. Available occasionally in Blue, White and Pink, it's really lovely!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2011-03-24, 12:02am
Entropy increasing....

Marshmallow? CIM Marshmallow?

This is Marshmallow over a core of Gelly Sty. That's why it's pink. Otherwise it's just milky white, like skim milk.

Old 2011-03-24, 1:12am
Wonderland sounds fun...

ooooo that marshmallow is yummy! I dont know why i havent seen that before. I've gotta get me some!

*+.+*
C L E A R A N C E Sale in my Etsy *+.+*
Old 2011-03-24, 9:28am

Cirrus is it!!! Thank you so much. It was driving me crazy. I might have to get some of that Marshmallow too.

"Whether you believe that you can or believe that you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford
Old 2011-03-24, 4:25pm
Lampworkaholic!

Check out the Lauscha Milky Way colors. Yum!

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-03-24, 5:26pm

On the subject of white. I hate it when I order white and end up getting a white that is not a solid white and the rods are slightly transparent. Any suggestions on a good solid white, like a snow white?
Old 2011-03-24, 5:33pm
"Sinners have soul too"

If you mean coe 104...

Moretti/Effetre white is 591204
Vetrofond white is 791204
CiM Peace White is CiM835

Old 2011-03-24, 5:50pm

Yes COE 104. I did buy CIM Peace and still did not think it was solid white. I will look for the others you mentioned. Thanks
Old 2011-03-24, 6:37pm

Default WHITE

When you find "that great white" please let the rest of us know. I have a few rods of perfect white that I am hording. I wish I had my money back that I have spent on ugly white rods. I have been trying to find a true white shiny but not transparent.
Old 2011-03-24, 8:52pm
Wonderland sounds fun...

Yea, peace isnt that great white. It bleeds into other colors sometimes. I haven't really figured the greatness in peace white. I use moretti white and its perfect for me. Doesn't do funky things and is just a great all around white. I think I'm gonna get some of that marshmallow next order though. I really like the looks of it just for something different.

*+.+*
C L E A R A N C E Sale in my Etsy *+.+*
Old 2011-03-24, 10:43pm
I speak Murrini!

Oooo, dang Kevan! I think I needs ME some of that Marshmallow too! Your bead is amazing!!!

And on the subject of whites, being that I make so much murrini and must have the densest white possible so it still looks like WHITE after being pulled down (and not misty, hazy nor clear), I just go with good old original Moretti White as Donna has mentioned above is 591204.

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro