No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-07-07, 6:32pm
Angie09

Default Etching 90 or 96 Coe

I know,that 90 and 96 don't etch with the normal etching solution so I purchased a tumbler. The silicon carbide I use causes a real mess and I'm afraid some will get in the drain pipes. Is there something else that can be used instead of it? There are so many colors in these COEs I'd love to see etched. Thanks in advance!
Old 2013-07-07, 6:46pm
one day at a time

I etch 96 COE all the time and never had any problems. Furnace glass frit, Uroboros, Spectrum 96, all of them etch well with Dip n' Etch.
Old 2013-07-07, 6:58pm
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
I etch 96 COE all the time and never had any problems. Furnace glass frit, Uroboros, Spectrum 96, all of them etch well with Dip n' Etch.
REALLY?? I always heard 90 & 96 didn't work with etch all. Great to know...I'll give it a try. NOW how about 90????? Someone's gotta have a better way that that gritty, messy silicon stuff!
Old 2013-07-07, 7:04pm
I fart diamonds

Boro (33COE) doesn't etch. 90 & 96 etch just fine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-07-07, 7:07pm
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnette View Post
Boro (33COE) doesn't etch. 90 & 96 etch just fine.
Using Etch All?
Old 2013-07-07, 7:08pm
I fart diamonds

Yes. Tumbling gives a softer finish, but doesn't get in all the cracks & crevices.

Old 2013-07-07, 7:11pm
Angie09

Well, I have no idea where I got the idea that the cream and liquid only worked on 104?!? Im so glad I asked the question .... My life just got a lot easier. Thanks everyone!
Old 2013-07-07, 7:13pm
Loving learning

I'm curious about your tumbling. I haven't found it all that messy, just a little bit of a pain to scoop out the beads when they're done. I think I'm going to get a slotted spoon to make it easier. Are you using the tablespoon or so of silicone carbide that I had read to use?
Old 2013-07-08, 4:06am
Angie09

I'm sure I've used too much. I have added some each time I use it. Probably operator error on my part. Think I'll dump it all and start over. I also use some little blue hard material I read about in a thread here...about 8 or 9mm each. Forget what it's called.
Old 2013-07-08, 5:02am

In my tumbler I use playground sand I bought at home depot. I also use broken bottle glass and a bit of silicone carbide. The bigger broken glass pushes the slush around more for quicker etching.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-07-08, 5:43am

Tumbling is a bit easier then chemical etching, fewer noxious chemicals.
Not to mention being handy to polish findings and make faux beach glass.

To make things easier try threading the beads on a piece of spider wire or fly line backing.
The woven fishing line should keep things together and make retreaval easy.

Old 2013-07-08, 7:52am
Loving learning

I'm planning on doing that next time now, thanks for the idea!
Old 2013-07-08, 9:33am

I had limited success with etching Bullseye with the etching liquid. Some colors fine, some colors not so fine.

I still have my liquid etch but I mostly use the tumbler now. I use Caribbean Reef gravel/sand from the pet store or 120/220 silicon carbide grit ... depending on satin or more robust.

Old 2013-07-08, 10:37am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpieGlass View Post
I had limited success with etching Bullseye with the etching liquid. Some colors fine, some colors not so fine.

I still have my liquid etch but I mostly use the tumbler now. I use Caribbean Reef gravel/sand from the pet store or 120/220 silicon carbide grit ... depending on satin or more robust.
Which give the more satin finish? and is your silicon carbide look like small pieces of black sand?
Old 2013-07-08, 11:40am
Loving learning

My 1000 is more like dark grey powder, very fine.
Old 2013-07-08, 2:51pm

I find that some BE glass will etch, but a lot of it won't, and it takes longer than 104 glass
Old 2013-07-08, 5:14pm
Uh Oh....

Anytime I put sand or silicon carbide into my tumbler, it leaks. I thought it might be my barrel so I bought a brand new one and it did the same thing. I have no issues when I'm using stainless steel shot for tumbling metal.

Old 2013-07-09, 6:20am
honorary bead lady

And once again

Make sure you see this!
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=227416
Old 2013-07-09, 7:04am
Angie09

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
And once again

Make sure you see this!
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=227416
And your point is??? I read ALL the threads about etching and know it's toxic but as a grown up I can make up my own mind as to whether to use it or not. And ... leave the poor horse out of this!
Old 2013-07-09, 9:13am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
Which give the more satin finish? and is your silicon carbide look like small pieces of black sand?
It's more like silt ... think GAs finest frit above powder (82 mesh) and that's what I would consider it.

It gives a very soft, satin finish. But it doesn't get into the grooves very well. But most of what I etch isn't real textural and if it is ... I still have the wicked chemical to try.

I bought it at Kinsley North (by the pound) ... I couldn't decide what grind and after reading and reading went with the 120/220 blend.

I use it with the plastic pellets Kinsley also sells. Dump everything in the barrel ... close it up and let it spin for a day or two ... check ... repeat if I'm not happy with the level of etch.

Warning ... the satin finish is very soft and will not really show on the wet bead ... you have to let it dry to get a good feel for just how "etched" it has become.

If you would like to try the Reef Mix (I bought a lifetimes worth) I can send you some. Though it will give you the faster, rougher etch. Also have Thumber's fine (I think its around 1000 grit) that I'm not using.

Old 2013-07-09, 9:14am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewkittie View Post
Anytime I put sand or silicon carbide into my tumbler, it leaks. I thought it might be my barrel so I bought a brand new one and it did the same thing. I have no issues when I'm using stainless steel shot for tumbling metal.
Make sure to wipe any residue from around the seal area of the tumbler. Likely there is sand or silicone stuck in there that is breaking the seal.

Old 2013-07-10, 7:05am
honorary bead lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angie09 View Post
And your point is??? I read ALL the threads about etching and know it's toxic but as a grown up I can make up my own mind as to whether to use it or not. And ... leave the poor horse out of this!
Yes but there are still many that DON'T and think the shit is safe simply because it is sold at the hobby shop!
Old 2013-07-10, 10:02am
sunscreen me baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by flame n fuse View Post
I find that some BE glass will etch, but a lot of it won't, and it takes longer than 104 glass
Yes.

~

Old 2013-07-10, 11:47am
Uh Oh....

Yeah, that's my problem as I'm not wiping, just sticking the lid back on. Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagpieGlass View Post
Make sure to wipe any residue from around the seal area of the tumbler. Likely there is sand or silicone stuck in there that is breaking the seal.