Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-08-09, 11:22am

Default A couple of studio questions

Hello All,
Finally getting moving on the studio again. Here are a couple of questions:
1. How far should the natural gas stub be from my work bench? Right now I have it planned to be stubbed about 1 foot off the ground and next to the work station which is about 36 inches high. Of course there will be a shut off valve at the stub.
2. What size pipe should be used for the natural gas line?

Thanks.

Joyce

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-08-09, 1:06pm
William Hagy

I think Dale would have a better answer for the pipe sizing,however I will tell you that the size is in realtion the the BTU of what you torch(es) are putting out at maximum capacity. The location of the NG stub sounds great to me considering I run a 2.5" pipe (propane) 12" off the floor beneath the work stations here in the studio.....shortens the length of hose needed thats for sure.

~Enjoy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

50mm & 40mm Herbert Arnold Zenit Burners,Carlisle cc/cc+/mini,Liquid O2.
Old 2007-08-09, 5:53pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Most gas piping in residences are 3/4 inch for main run with 1/2 inch piping branching off to different appliances. 1/2 inch piping is probably going to be large enough to supply one or two small torches... So for where to stub it out, anywhere near bench is good, BUT be sure shutoff valve is in plain sight and always accessible ( sign indicating what it is for and off-on positions). There may be some local codes governing this, check with your plumber ... NEVER locate it so it is obstructed in any way if you need IMMEDIATE access to it....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal