TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-08-12, 7:29pm

Luna, I was told by the gas guy to leave it open full blast. I'm using bulk mapp but it seemed just as strong with one turn on the tank. Think it matters?
Joy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-08-14, 5:16pm

Hi everyone

I'm so happy this thread exists! I love Lauscha glass and I'm looking forward to very soon get the Vanilla Ice!

Best regards
Kirima
Old 2007-08-14, 5:46pm

Thanks Kirima! Hopefully we can get people to continue to post!
I don't have my white with Silver yet either!

Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-08-14, 7:03pm

Yes, Paula, this thread definately has to go on! I do have Caramello and it is such a wonderful glass, I love it so much even if it's not "my" color at all. I haven't figured out how to work Supernova yet, but I'll definately give it a try again and hopefully will find out how to get all those wonderful colors everyone is getting - except me! And I bet I'll just LOVE vanilla ice...

Kirima
Old 2007-08-17, 6:00am
kindasorta Spring almost

Okay, I don't have a picture because I reduced half the pendant WAY too much and made mud.

But, please everyone, try stringer made with Raku frit on Supernova.

The part of the design that I drew on with stringer, that I didn't reduce too much, produced a pronounced highly silvered almost gold coloured reduction. Somebody please try this - I don't have any torch time booked until the 26th of August, and I would love to see what you all can do with this.

I didn't use pure raku stringer - I melted the end of a Supernova rod, and dipped it in the Raku granules, repeatedly melting, and dipping and then pulled the stringer.

Try it, but just let the reduction flame at the end kiss the stringer design... The part that I reduced the crap out of was just blah, but the part of the pendant that was just on the edge of the flame was incredible.

Good Luck - let me know if you get the same results!

I had tried it before not reducing, because it's also a great purple and the Raku was awesome just as itself, but this effect was totally wonderful.

Best,
CA

Old 2007-08-17, 7:47am

Carolanne,
Did you put the stringer on a base bead of Supernova, or did you put it on another color? Sounds like a gorgeous reaction, I'll have to give it a try.

Old 2007-08-17, 11:26am
Shuga Mamma...

Hello everyone! I looking for help with Lauscha please. I work for boys that make lot beautiful beads using silver glass like Double Helix and R4 too. I find in cabinet big stash Lauscha glass nobody use! I see on LE where talking about not using lauscha clear on silver things, but I want to know is ok to use other lauscha for DH and R4 glass? Will be problems occur if I use lauscha base for silver glass? Not do encasing, just lot of stringer things. I mainly thinking about caramello, buckthorn, milkyway glass. Thank you for any help.

My friends at

Old 2007-08-17, 11:34am

Your Lauscha colors should make nice bases for the silver colors! The Carmello might not want to be encased but there should be no problem with the others! Milky Way is very reactive with Silver Green and Silver Blue so should also be with the 104 colors!
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-08-17, 12:00pm

Paula, did you ever post your Silver Ice beads? POST THEM ALREADY !! hahaha

Old 2007-08-17, 1:21pm

Hahaha. They are lost somewhere in my house Liza...
I'm sure I"ll find them sooner or later!
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-08-17, 1:46pm
Shuga Mamma...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaD View Post
Your Lauscha colors should make nice bases for the silver colors! The Carmello might not want to be encased but there should be no problem with the others! Milky Way is very reactive with Silver Green and Silver Blue so should also be with the 104 colors!
Paula
Thank you Paula for quick reply! I not do encasing, hate encasing so I will go play now, thank you!

My friends at

Old 2007-08-17, 2:41pm

Hi Carolanne

I did it! And I did see some wonderful great exceptional colors showing up. It looked WONDERFUL! But: I do not have a kiln yet. And I guess it's not possible to get anything out of any silver glass WITHOUT tempering the glass properly in a kiln... ???

Love
Kirima
Old 2007-08-18, 6:06pm
mystical cat lover 56

Default MAGENTA COLOR + Lauscha

Will Lauscha make any more of this beautiful color ?
Old 2007-08-18, 6:31pm

Milky Way or Super Nova??
I saw both on the standard Color last last time I ordered. And I have both in stock at the Studio. I bought an especially big amount of the Milky Way Green.
Kirima maybe you can save your beads in a fiber blanket and get someone to anneal them for you afterwards??
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-08-21, 4:51am
kindasorta Spring almost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirima View Post
Hi Carolanne

I did it! And I did see some wonderful great exceptional colors showing up. It looked WONDERFUL! But: I do not have a kiln yet. And I guess it's not possible to get anything out of any silver glass WITHOUT tempering the glass properly in a kiln... ???

Love
Kirima
Hi Kirima! Paula's idea was good - try not to make anything too big or too thick at the moment, tuck things into a fibre blanket and then see if a friend or teacher can anneal your stuff for you. Without annealing, it can be unsafe to wear and sell your creations. I am glad that the technique worked for you. I will be at the torch tomorrow, trying to make it do the exact thing all over again!

Big smile,
Carol Anne

Old 2007-08-21, 4:53am
kindasorta Spring almost

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon myst View Post
Will Lauscha make any more of this beautiful color ?
The Magenta? Which one? The one Grace has - the darker gold Magenta? Lemme know...

CA

Old 2007-08-21, 12:36pm
mystical cat lover 56

The one Grace had - Thank you !
Old 2007-08-22, 7:45am
kindasorta Spring almost

Quote:
The one Grace had - Thank you !
Had? Which one? Can you email Grace and tell her which glass you mean, and get her to email me and let me know which one it is? If Grace is out of it, and it's the one that I have in my private stash, I will gladly do a trade if you want. But I somehow think it is a darker glass maybe that she got early last year, and not the pink that I am thinking of.

If there isn't any floating around, and once we establish which one it is, I can ask the boss when we might be able to make it.

(sorry - I just read that and it makes no sense because I think in German now, and have to translate into English to write anything anymore...) Oh well, hopefully you get what I mean!

Smiles,
Carol Anne

Last edited by carolanne; 2007-08-22 at 7:47am. Reason: I can't write English anymore...
Old 2007-08-22, 12:11pm
mystical cat lover 56

It was 260 T magenta - I noticed it last year - Thank you !
Old 2007-08-27, 6:34am
kindasorta Spring almost

Quote:
It was 260 T magenta - I noticed it last year - Thank you !
Did you already ask Grace if she is out? When we made that, if it is the same glass, Grace was the only person who ordered it in North America. And Grace shipped a nice bunch of it back for me to buy, because it was my fabled perfect pink that I had waited so long for, and well, she is totally awesome.

And yesterday I made an awesome goddess vessel out of it! It does not photograph well after it is worked. Lots of gold in it, and it can get a gold haze when you work it really hot, but I find it very pretty. It's nice because it is hard to burn it out. But I kind of think we are talking about 2 different glasses. Give Gracie a pm and let's figure it out.

Carol Anne

Old 2007-08-28, 6:06pm
mystical cat lover 56

Yes, I think this is the one Grace ordered, I emailed her and she said she is beging
Lausucha to make more.
Old 2007-08-29, 10:13am

Woo-Hoo! Our shipment of Lauscha hit the port today! Yippee!!
It includes the new 2007 clear, some tri colored rods, ribbed cane for pens, marble stock, Carmello, black, and the infamous white with silver in three different sizes! (Vanilla Ice!)
I should be through customs and trucked to us right after Labor Day!!

And for those of you that have asked the Online Store is coming together quickly. I had to change servers to host it but I did and the commerce software is being installed today! Then I have to figure out how to work it and then photograph the rods. Then....Done!!!

Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-08-30, 2:27pm

Ok, here I go with my first Vanilla Ice beads ever... - I guess I've burnt the glass, but still I'm getting really nice colors that remind me on stones (marble from Carrara) - and on ASK Moroccan Swirl. It's nothing but Vanilla Ice, except that barrel in the middle, that's just normal Moretti white.

I hope to see more Vanilla Ice here very soon!

Kirima
Old 2007-08-30, 2:49pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Those are nice Kirima!

I don't think you have burnt the glass - it is supposed to do that!

I need to play with mine!

Old 2007-08-30, 4:11pm

Thanks Mary Beth!

It's so funny that you're thinking that THIS is what this glass is supposed to do, 'cause I'm just a newbie playing with some new glass. That's it. And the thing is: I have no idea what this glass is supposed to do and I haven't found any informations or clues about it yet. I just have no idea at all what this glass is supposed to do... So my question is: Does anyone has any idea what this glass is SUPPOSED to do???

I just had to post my very first vanilla-beads because someone had to start to show at least something!

And please, could anyone tell me what this glass is supposed to do???????

Kirima
Old 2007-08-30, 4:38pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirima View Post
Thanks Mary Beth!

It's so funny that you're thinking that THIS is what this glass is supposed to do, 'cause I'm just a newbie playing with some new glass. That's it. And the thing is: I have no idea what this glass is supposed to do and I haven't found any informations or clues about it yet. I just have no idea at all what this glass is supposed to do... So my question is: Does anyone has any idea what this glass is SUPPOSED to do???

I just had to post my very first vanilla-beads because someone had to start to show at least something!

And please, could anyone tell me what this glass is supposed to do???????

Kirima
Here's some help. These are some pictures on Lauscha Lady's web site:

http://www.lauschalady.com/LLVanillaIce.html

I'm pretty sure Grace posted these in on these Lauscha threads but I can't find them - but the ones in that link are the same.

Old 2007-08-31, 1:53am

Thanks again Mary Beth! So now I know I'm on the right path.
Old 2007-08-31, 8:59am
Gay rights R human rights

Well I answered one of my questions last night. The new clear still does not like silver glass. Made a base of vanilla ice, layered on supernova and then encased. Tons of cracks. Was very hot going into the kiln.

Has anyone else had any luck encasing any silver glass with the new soft clear? Other than the silver glass issue, it is a wonderful clear. Melts beautifully.
Leslie

bravo torch with 2 ex20's
Old 2007-08-31, 9:19am

The Vanilla Ice is coe 102 and the new clear is 106 so I am not surprised.
Paula

Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-09-10, 9:06pm
novembersfyre everywhere

I've started playing around with the Vanilla Ice. This stuff is fantastic! It can look like antique ivory or carmel swirl and beyond depending on how you work it! I'm going to need lots more: