No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2010-07-13, 10:43pm

Here's the half mask I want to buy
http://www.airgas.com/browse/product...ct=MSA10102183

Now I need the proper filters to go with it. I know i need a P100 for particulates, but I've seen those that filter both fumes and particulates, but it wouldn't matter if it filters fumes unless they are the particular fumes that your glass is giving off as it melts
I wonder if this would work?
http://www.airgas.com/browse/product...duct=MSA815362
It states it works on all particulates and Organic vapors? Does glass only give off organic vapors?

And here's another that states the vapors it protects against.
http://www.airgas.com/browse/product...duct=MSA815180

For glass you'd need to filter lead and nitrogen monoxide wasn't it, what else? Crap, is there a list of all the chemicals glass gives off?

An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one. ~Charles Horton Cooley

Last edited by ShellyJo1969; 2010-07-13 at 10:45pm.
Old 2010-07-15, 7:06am
Gentleman of Leisure

I know you are very concerned, and I know the "glass blowers lung" thing spooked you, but you are over thinking this....

Your ventilation if done properly will protect you from hazards on molecular level (heavy metals - gases - combustion by products) and any P100 or N100 filtering mask will protect you on the the dust, granular lever of large particles..

IF you have BOBS (big orange box store) or BBBS (big blue box store) or really good hardware store, go to "safety section" and pick out something that fits your face and has P100 or N100 cartridges and move on.... you are taking all the fun out of what you want to do, by the worry....

Yes being safe is great, but you might be taking this to excess...

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-07-15 at 7:11am.
Old 2010-07-15, 8:15am

I do know of glass workers who suffered from lung problems. One recently died of lung cancer. They also smoked. And did both at the same time.....

I am not sure if Heidi smoked but that does up the risk factors. I do hope Heidi is doing better.

There are many concerns when lampworking.
Ventilation is a must.

I personally avoid fine frits and enamels and stick to glass rods. I also am careful with the bead release while dipping and cleaning beads. I wipe under my torch and around my presses to clean up any broken release. Just clean up any particles that could become airborne. Then have fun with glass!

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2010-07-21, 7:28pm

I recently bought a Blast Shield from Mountain Glass Arts.

http://www.theblastshield.com/

I got it with the UV protection and it distorts my vision ever so slightly so I have to get used to that. Like the bead looks a little bit blurry now.

But the fact that my lungs finally felt "normal" after a torching session makes it totally worthwhile. I've been struggling with getting my ventilation just right and the Blast Shield prevents me from inhaling whatever fumes and stuff I had been inhaling before. Of course, now it's 100 degrees so who feels like torching these days
Old 2010-07-22, 1:26pm

Don't forget, if your ventilation isn't up to par, an n100 won't get rid of the nitrogen oxide (I think that's the gas) and other torch gas byproducts that can be irritating/hazardous. You need a different filter for those.
Old 2010-07-22, 1:56pm
Did someone say SALE?

Lynda, do you happen to know which filters are best for the torch burning byproducts? I always wondered, but never saw where anyone had posted which ones work. Thanks!
Old 2010-07-22, 2:05pm

It's been posted before, but I don't remember what they were. If I find it, I'll post back.
Old 2010-07-22, 8:14pm
Formerly FishBulb

If you feel more comfortable with a mask, then by all means buy one and wear it. I have a North silicone half-mask with screw on P-100 canister filters and I use it all the time. My ventilation is good but my work bench is actually built quite high, about chest height, so my snoot is right where the powder and frit and exploded glass all sit.

I also tend to use powder or frit at a moment's notice rather than planning for it, so I want the mask ready when I need it, rather than stopping mid-bead to hunt it down and try to pull it on.

Also, my bead release says on the label that it contains crystalline silica which could be a carcinogen if inhaled, and I do remember doing marathon mandrel-dips and feeling grit in my teeth afterward, so that also made me a bit nervous.

I know plenty of people who have been doing steady glass work for years, decades even, sometimes even without the ventilation turned on (yeesh) and they're quite alright. It depends on the person.

I prefer to wear a mask for the above reasons, and also because I've got sensitive lungs due to chemical exposure over many years of work. I feel more secure with the mask on and it was money well spent. If you would feel better, it's worth buying one.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-07-22, 8:22pm
Broken

If you're really concerned wear one, not sure what the big deal is?

I got my ventilation changed around so it pulls the fumes directly away from me instead of up and past my face. Which I like better. But I fume a lot and wanted to have it go away instead of past my face.