Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Tutorials to purchase

Old 2011-03-14, 9:01am
Melting

Thanks Mary!

Actually, I didn't have any problems with the thin rods, it was the full size rod in the construction stage (version #3) I kept having a problem with. I was able to keep the turtle and components warm, but I kept thermal shocking that darn full rod and that just led to total failure. I couldn't seem to keep it warm enough temperature while keeping everything else warm enough. My flame wasn't bushy enough.

By the way, your tutorials are how I discovered using mandrels as punties and it has gotten me quite far and improved my skills quite a bit.

Anyway, I wrapped this guy and he's around my neck; I've already gotten compliments. You should have seen my husband's face when I brought him in from the kiln. He was in awe! Of course, he is easily impressed...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~

SRA Member #E20
Old 2011-03-18, 9:29am
Your Royal Fritness

Mary these are so fun to make! I gave my 1st one to my sister but here is the second one. I made him a little too big... I must work smaller, lol. I can't wait to play with the off mandrel ones! Hugs, Dawn

Old 2011-03-18, 11:41am
Mary Lockwood

Good one, Dawn!!

Glad you are having fun. Love the colors you picked too!

Oh, and there is no such thing as too big. I made a 4 incher today, well he is still in the kiln but I'm pretty sure tip to tip of the flippers he is 4 inches.

~~Mary

Old 2011-03-18, 9:45pm
I speak Murrini!

Four inches!?! Holy smokes...that's a paper weight! Can't wait to see him! I really love how these look! I'm thinking I just might NEED this!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2011-03-19, 5:26am
Your Royal Fritness

Wow Mary! I can't wait to see him/her! DeAnne this is a wonderful tutorial

Old 2011-03-19, 7:39am
Metallic Flame Studios

Mary, as usual, you rock gf! I can't wait to see what you do next. I havent been in and around LE much as I finish my MPH, but this summer, I hope to get some of my life back and get to torch again. Hugs and murrini, Stacy

Kickin' it on a Knight, a Betta, a 'Cuda, and a SmithLittle with 3 Oxycons, Playing with Fire Since February 2004
Check out our new journey into Metal (yes, including tools) and glass...

Old 2011-03-19, 10:09am
novembersfyre everywhere

I have two that I'll post later when I do some photography. I made the paperweight style off-mandrel turtle on mandrel. I really like them!

Old 2011-03-19, 9:39pm
novembersfyre everywhere

OK - here are my first two turtles. I don't know what I was thinking with the tails! I think I'll leave them off next time

Old 2011-03-19, 11:35pm
I speak Murrini!

Oh, so cute!

Old 2011-03-20, 3:21am
Your Royal Fritness

Marybeth those are sweet

Old 2011-03-20, 10:25am
novembersfyre everywhere

Thanks, guys!

Joan, I love your implosion turtle! I have Ron's marble tut and I'm trying to decided on a pattern to try on a turtle. "T" - very nice! The earthy colors look so realistic. Dawn, the shape of your turtle is wonderful! Is that raku on the dots?

Old 2011-03-21, 7:31am
Mary Lockwood

Ooh, Mary Beth those are really cool. You got a lot of good stuff in your shells! Great shape too. Sometimes I add a tail on a whim, but usually I just pull the shell out to a point. It's a bit more subtle that way but not anatomically correct. LOL

Keep showing off everybody, I love to see them.
~~Mary

Here's one I made the other day:

Old 2011-03-21, 6:28pm
novembersfyre everywhere

I love that turtle, Mary!

Here's a quick shot of some more that I made. The turquoise and the red turtles both have copper and brass gears and minute hands under the encasement. They don't contrast as well with the red although I like the red with the gears. I think I'm going to make another red one with the copper in a clear body.

Old 2011-03-21, 6:47pm
Formerly FishBulb

You guys are posting some awesome turtles! All of you. Those are so great! I love how everybody has their own spin on the innards.

I just bought this today and I can't wait to try it! Mary's tutorials are incredible.

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2011-03-21, 9:44pm
I speak Murrini!

Mary, that IS a lovely turtle...and you weren't kidding - he's a big'un! I love the colors you used, too...ahem, Silver Glass?

And Mary Beth - another round of winners! I love the gears-and-hands idea! You know turtles (well at least "tortoises") live to be, like, 150 years old! Time, for sure, is on their side...

OK...I broke down and got this Tutorial, and Mary was quick like a bunny in getting to me! I will (hopefully!) be trying this out tomorrow or Wednesday...wish me luck!

Old 2011-03-21, 10:22pm
novembersfyre everywhere

I'd love to see some turtles stuffed with your murrini, De

Old 2011-03-25, 11:25am
I speak Murrini!

OK...here's my first try! I'm on the fence if I like him or not. I think I need to double-think my color schemes, and for sure be careful how much "stuff" I stuff him with! I guess there IS a limit on how much just is too much!

I AM happy with how well my murrini behaved, especially my Turtle! This is:

"Turtle Within A Turtle"

Thanks Mary for doing such a wonderful job! If I have time before Glass Craft, I'm going to try again...

Old 2011-03-26, 10:59am
I speak Murrini!

Hum....feedback? Input on this first guy? Well, in any case I've had someone call "dibbs" on this one! So...........I decided to make another one - this time with my "Davy Jones' Locker" feel! Yeah, you guys who KNOW me knew it was only a matter of time!

Now I realize that I had some "technical difficulties" so to speak; being that I am having trouble breaking out of the "marble making" mode I realize that I need to fight against wanting to "implode" the murrini. In addition, I know there are a couple steps in Mary's Tutorial method I was skipping but really need to figure out how to integrate them into my way of doing these (for those of you who have this Tutorial, I'm speaking of Steps 11, 12 and 13 in the "Tide Pool" Section ) I'm sure it will help to properly "dome" the turtle's back area, and prevent that little "ring around the collar" spot I can still see in the finished pendant below.

Nevertheless, I'm quite in love with this!!! I dunno...there's just sumptin' about Skulls, Bones, Treasure Chests and such that just tickle my fancy!

For whatever reason, I find it difficult to photo the awesome depth these turtles show when you see them in real life. I think the photos tend to "flatten" that all out a bit, but it really looks super cool when you see it up close and personal...

OK...here's my second try - and I'm definitely KEEPING this one!

"Davy Jones' Turtle"

What 'cha think?

Last edited by theglasszone; 2011-03-26 at 12:40pm. Reason: clarifying...
Old 2011-03-26, 6:10pm
Your Royal Fritness

DeAnne I LOVE HIM!!!

Old 2011-03-26, 9:53pm
I speak Murrini!

Aw, thanks so much Dawn!!!! I was startin' to think they were kinda fugly and I was just seeing them with "Mother's Eyes"! I'm wearing my Davy Jones' Turtle, and can't seem to keep my hands off it!

Old 2011-03-28, 11:04am
Mary Lockwood

Hi De!!

I'm sorry I wasn't here to comment. I had a bad weekend. Funerals, calling hours, meetings, on-call...you name it. It sucked.

I think your turtles ROCK. Both of them!!

What do you mean about the ring around the collar? Can I help? When you are finished you should have a nice high dome on the turtle shell. And there is nothing wrong with SLIGHTLY imploding the murrini. Just don't go too far or you risk distorting them.

Totally agree about how difficult it is to get good pictures because you see different things with the different angles you turn the turtles, and the camera wants to flatten it all out a bit. Try taking the picture in some water maybe? I haven't tried that, it may be over-compensating a bit, but I do know it will bring the depth back in the photos and will cut the glare. Let me know how it works (or not LOL).

Good job and I'm glad you're having fun with them. That's the whole idea, right? I've been loving making these.

Please show more when you get time.
~~Mary

Old 2011-03-28, 11:08am
Mary Lockwood

Mary Beth, loving the gears. You're doing swell too! Love to see all these turtles. You have some great color combinations too.

OH, that last turtle I posted--the flippers and head are Van Gogh, and the shell is vanilla ice with chalcedony frit under clear. He is the second biggest one I've made. I have a 4 incher I haven't taken pictures of yet.

~~Mary

Old 2011-03-28, 9:10pm
I speak Murrini!

Oh, Mary! Thanks so much for the nice words! I'm so sorry to hear you had a difficult weekend Sounds like one to forget, frankly, so I especially appreciate you posting as I'm sure you need some time to get past all THAT!

I must confess, though, was practically holding my breath waiting to hear what you thought! I was hoping you'd have a chance to pop in and post before I take off for Glass Craft! And I admit I'm so stressed and under pressure, I've hardly been on LE for more than a fleeting moment or two here and there each day for the last week! I've been pulling 16 hour days getting all my murrini counted and bagged; I'm also doing an inventory sheet as I go along, transferring pics to a scrolling electronic picture frame for my booth and making an at-a-glance binder for those who'd like to see how they all look applied. I'm close to finished...going through everything alphabetically and I've just finished up the letter "T", so near done! Whew! At last running count, I'm taking 6,700+ but it will probably be closer to 7,000 when all are accounted for! Now THAT'S a lotta murrini! Hope people buy!

On the "ring around the collar" thing...I suspect my ambient Hot Head heat is softening the rod at the maria connection a bit too much; as a result, it's sort of sinking in and when I flame cut it off, there's sort of an indent there! Trying to heat it enough to remove that little pucker has tended to make my arm/leg flippers shrink! As I mentioned earlier, I think the steps you have in your Tutorial (which I admittedly was skipping) might help to re-round the top of the turtle and resolve that problem. I'm kinda naughty at following directions, so I am going to re-read it and make sure to stick to the program...at least for the next try!

Thanks again for the encouragement and I may just give that "underwater" photoing a go! If it works out well, I'll be sure to let you ALL know!

OK...on to the letter "V"...

Hugs,
De

Old 2011-03-29, 9:10pm
Formerly FishBulb

You all are posting the most awesome turtles! I love what everyone has done!

I was out in the studio on Sunday and decided to give this a shot. As I was flying by the seat of my pants rather than actually having the tutorial WITH me, the results are a little wonky. Still, I like the little guy! His shell has three of my barnacle murrini along with a Ryan Turner fish murrini, and his body, head and flippers are all Vetrofond Avocado Marble Odd.

Also, since I didn't have the tut, I completely forgot how to apply the head! It's attached rather strangely. I did have a smile though when I saw that the veining in the Avocado Marble resulted in two little eyes and a smile which you can't see here but it's visible in real life.

Name:  P1030344.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  40.8 KB
Name:  P1030343.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  35.5 KB

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2011-04-03, 11:18am

Hi! Mary, I love your tutorials. Had to buy this one, too. Here is the 3rd I made, the 2nd off-mandrel. I made the head into the loop.

Hope you like it!
Verena

Fritblends in COE 104:
Old 2011-04-04, 10:35am
novembersfyre everywhere

I really like the skeleton murrini turtle, De! Angie, your turtle is so ancient looking. It's really a very interesting unique effect. Verena - that implosion is nice! Is it goldstone?

I just got back from a 10 day vacation. I worked out my design for more turtles with gears before I left. I don't have any pics of them and I gave them all away. I'm hoping to have a chance today to make some more.

Old 2011-04-04, 12:55pm

Mary Beth - yes, I used goldstone frit.

Fritblends in COE 104:
Old 2011-04-05, 10:59am
Mary Lockwood

Angie...very cute! Looks like you got the head on there just fine to me! Love the organic feel. I don't make many in lighter colors but I'm gonna start now that I've seen yours. Thanks for posting!

Verena, that's great! I've been on a goldstone kick lately and I'm sticking it in everything I make. Hope you had fun working on these and thanks for sharing pix.

Mary Beth, be sure to post pictures if you get to make any more! The gears are really cool...little clockwork turtles.

Keep 'em coming you guys!
~~Mary

Old 2011-04-06, 10:04am

Just ordered it. Thanks Mary ... I'm sure it will be great as per usual.

- Di
Old 2011-04-12, 8:27pm
novembersfyre everywhere

I finally got my turtle gears arranged the way I want them! I need to recreate the other color combinations. This one is pale ink blue violet.