LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2015-01-09, 7:13pm

Exclamation ventilation help please

I'm making my studio in my basement. But my basement isn't like an ordinary basement, the window isn't a window well. It's like a main floor window. Room size is 12 ft by 9 ft. I'm wondering if using a window mounted exhaust fan 3 1/2 feet away from my torch will be adequate? I'll have two torches running. The room door will be open with a window cracked somewhere in the house for fresh air. The room door is about ten feet away from the exhaust window. Thanks for your time. Much appreciated!
Old 2015-01-10, 2:44am
Alaska Boro

One way to get an idea is to do a smoke test. Have the torch off and place a smoking stick (incense as one source) in front of your face and see what the smoke does. Then try a few inches away from the torch face.

If the smoke sort of hangs around then you will know that a better system is needed.
Old 2015-01-16, 12:36pm

Invest a few bucks in smoke tracing matches (Splintax matches) that are designed for this sort of thing, the smoke from incense isn't bright enough to trace well. You'll be better served to construct a hood of some sort that vents to the outside. Most likely you won;t get efficient fume removal without it.

Robert
Old 2015-02-02, 1:11am
Phill

Aye and it is going to cost you money to heat or cool air that is going to go out this ventilation you are setting up.

If you can arrange for fresh air to be delivered right to you torch bench that fresh air can go out through ventilation instead of the house air that you will spend money on warming or cooling.
Old 2015-02-03, 1:33pm

I bring outdoor air directly to my bench top to feed the hood and remove fumes. Cuts down a lot on conditioned air loss.

Robert
Old 2015-02-11, 4:39pm

Awesome guys! Thanks for the feedback. I got myself a hood. Any suggestions on any exhaust fans? I have two torches hooked to the same duct system. Cfm? And style? Does it need to be explosion proof? I'm looking on Amazon and I see this 12 inch 969 cfm inline exhaust fan from Hydroponics pro company. Can these fans take the heat from the two torches? Thanks much guys!!

hydroponic 12"

Last edited by jess801; 2015-02-11 at 6:39pm.
Old 2015-02-13, 11:30am
Phill

It does not need to be explosion proof.
Think this through.
The gases you are working with will have already been burned so there will not be anything exploding unless you turn on the gas and then don't light the torch at all.

There are several threads here about ventilation and you are going to have to read through them and learn all the details involved. You only have to learn them once and when you have your system setup you won't have to think much about it after ward.

There is another forum at Art Glass Answers with in depth details on ventilation that Robert Simmons has pointed us to from this LE thread http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=271063.

The author of that thread is Dale Meisenheimer and he has very detailed diagrams and the numbers you will want to use to figure out what you need at this web site
http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...a316eedc031ae7

Take your time and think through all the details. It is not hard to do but your safety requires that you understand what you are doing. Kind of like learning to drive a car, once you get it straight in your mind it will become second nature to you.

Last edited by Speedslug; 2015-02-13 at 11:33am.