No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-10-31, 11:17am
Salt Box Beads

Default Information Re: Kugler 104 or ASK

I am going to try to add the list here...I'am not very good at this but here goes....

Dear Lorraine,
thank you for your mail.
As I mentioned: the truth is as you are able to read on our webside http://www.kuglercolors.de/beadmaking/english/news.html
Arrow Springs was never the producer, only a seller. We always owned the formulars and AS changed our names right from the start. Our names are the original ones.
Here we are with the names on both sides:

AKS-001/2 Clear = B 500 crystal
ASK-004 Lilac Ice = B 501 pink rose
ASK-005 Violet Nights = B 091 lapis blue
ASK-006 Lavender Fields = B 088 opal violet
ASK-007 Bahia Blue = B 153 bahiaTM blue
ASK-008 Berry Creamy = B 097 lilac red
ASK-009 Carmel apple = B 182 iris savanne
ASK-010 Silver cinnamon = B 181 silver brown
ASK-011 Silver Rattan = B 180 silver petrol
ASK-012 Scarlet Dreams = B 069 corall red
ASK-013 Persimmon = B 121 opal orange reddish
ASK-014 Aloe Vera = B 245 isar blue
ASK-015 Tribal Turquoise = B 086 turquoise
ASK-016 Mediterranean Olive = B 079 pea green
ASK-017 Pink Lady`s Slippers = B 502 soft rose yellowish
AKS-018 Desert Chameleon = B 222 tabac light
ASK-019 Moroccan Swirl = B 161 light beige
ASK-020 Mystic Grey = B 175 grey light
ASK-021 Neongreen = B 075 dense green
ASK-022 Petal Pink = B 151 soft rose
B 067 opal orange yellowish
B 074 seed green
B 235 smokey grey
B 503 golden
B 520 turquoise light
B 540 sandbrown light
B 541 sandbrown dark
B 550 black reflector

The colors are the same, the same formular. But because of the melting process the surface of every single batch will look a little bit different. After heating the real color will appear and they are looking the same. Expect dense rose yellowish - production methods changed but now we do have the color of the first batch will get really really pinc.
B-names without ASK-names: new colors ASK did not received.

************************************************** ************************************************** ************

Hi everyone, I was confused by all of the contradicting posts here about Arrow Springs Kugler. I love this glass and wanted to keep using it but in 96 coe so I have been corresponding with Frau Friedrich in this matter.

She has been very patient with me and explained the ASK/Kugler 104 to me and asked me to pass along this information.

The formula is the same. They have not changed it, but as with all glass it can be varied in surface color and batch color.

She gave me a list of the ASK new names and the Kugler old names that are now available in Kugler104 coe. And also the new colors they have added that Arrow Springs never had in their line.

She also stated that they have always owned the formulas and have not changed them. Production methods changed. She also stated the only color that did change was the dense rose yellow and now states that they were able to recapture the rose and it will get very very pinc (sic).

Lorraine

Last edited by Lorraine Chandler; 2008-11-01 at 11:43am.
Old 2008-10-31, 11:33am
da General

Lorraine,

Everything she said is correct.

Having said that, unless Kugler changed its business practice recently, it does NOT test its glass for compatibility with OTHER COE 104 glass, such as Effetre and Vetrofond. Thus it's up to the end users to test.

When Arrow Springs was involved, AS tested all the ASK BEFORE selling them to the public.

My recommendation for anyone who wants to use Kugler 104 to purchase the minimum amount, test it for compatibility thoroughly. If all is well, then buy as much as you can afford at the time for you will have to do the same for every batch of the same color.

Hope this helps.

Here is a thread with lots of info when ASK was discontinued:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=86982

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
Old 2008-10-31, 2:25pm
Salt Box Beads

Hi Hayley, I love the colors enough to just use them with themselves...but even then as with other brands of 104, sometimes are not even compatible with other colors within their own line...

I wanted to get all of the new 104 colors in the 96 but alas...not going to happen. Some of the new Kugler 104's are not in their 96 coe...POO!!!!

I really wanted to skinny down and uncomplicate my glass ordering and stocking life but I sure like the K104's...well, maybe I will have to add them into the overall color scheme????

Lorraine
Old 2008-10-31, 4:04pm
da General

Lorraine, I agree that the colors are beautiful! Kugler claims that compatibility tests are done within its own line of glass so if you don't deviate, I guess you should be fine!

|
|
|
|
Old 2008-11-06, 1:36am
Fancy Mammal

Just found this and thought I'd suggest taking a look at this thread, particularly post #53
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=87687

I don't make alot of involved focals at the moment, but I'd do lots of testing for each batch before I did.

ETA: It was always my understanding that Kugler was making the glass, and that the colors were Kugler 96 colors that they were adapting to 104. I met Hot Glass Color in Tucson the year that Arrow Springs was bringing out ASK, maybe that's why I knew that.

Anyway, Arrow Springs wanted (or needed depending on how you look at it) to offer a glass that was compatible, remained compatible between batches and remained the the same color-wise between batches. When that wasn't happening, Arrow Springs and Kugler stopped working together, and Kugler started distributing the 104 through Hot Glass Color - who has been their main (only?) distributor of 96 in the USA. But I think the batch to batch questions were the kicker for many people. That said, I have some of those check glass colors that live in their own COE too Just as long as I know it going in, I can deal.

Last edited by parisgal; 2008-11-06 at 2:10am.
Old 2008-11-08, 10:30am
Peerless Thread Killer

I love Kugler 104 glass (ASK)-It's wonderful to work with, not shocky, gorgeous colors, great effects with the silvered ones. I have no problems even using a small amount of Kugler 104 on Effetre or Vetrofond. I have a nice stash and use it mostly only with other Kugler. And I stopped trying to encase it!

Old 2008-11-09, 6:07pm
Salt Box Beads

I don't encase either...I use them for my organics and they look great without any clear or transparent glass over them..Works for me..

Lorraine
Old 2009-01-12, 10:49am
koregon

I ordered three colors, mostly for sculpture and earthy like beads...so I won't be adding much to them...maybe some accent colors lightly...I'll let ya know...mine was just ordered last night