Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2009-02-25, 10:09am

Default Cool - Mike and Ed posted a small boro example!

As I was typing, Ed and Mike were posting.

Many thanks to you both for so graciously responding on the small boro case, and so swiftly, and for tying together the visible issues as well as IR in such a well-written page.

Thank you for adding so much to our communities' knowledge base.

Linda
Old 2009-02-25, 10:12am

The sale of Auralens is now complete, with the transfer of all old inventory, and I'm not talking about eyeware! . You just can't kill magic like that. I was missing those entertaining intellectual duels that filled sooo many pages of threads past.
Flame on.
Old 2009-02-25, 10:26am

We were, simply put, lucky. The Physics Department had just finished working with a local foundry on modernizing their high temperature forges (moving from 1930's technology to 2000's technology). They needed to calculate BTU's and radiant energy loads from the new heating units, and the flame calculations were part of their work.

All they needed to do was plug the propane molecular weight into their computer model and we had an answer within an hour.

And real-life testing showed that the model was accurate to about 3 decimal places.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

: LE2009
Old 2009-02-25, 1:20pm
boro color bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ewing View Post
I don't really think the eye wear thing was that big of deal. Even with the old paper's figures, you really only needed to add filtration. This is easily done with $20 welders clip ons or a $10 pair of goggles to go over beaders existing diddys. This isn't the best solution, but lets people easily try out boro and see if they like it. My $300 prescription shade 5 biker glasses were probably the best investment I have made though once I decided that boro was the way to go for me.

I think a bigger factor in the hesitation to move from soft glass to boro was the price of glass. When most soft glass was $10 a pound or so and expensive soft glass was $20/lb the $50/lb price for boro colors was hard to cope with. That is where Brent's $10/lb bags of shorts were so nice. A 5 lb bag of those, some $3-5/lb clear, and $20 for welder's clip ons and you could play a lot with boro for $80-$100. Now that soft glass people are eating up the $100/lb silver glasses, I don't think that even the glass will be a factor for a lot of people now.
I heard that a lot too... but boro is soooo expensive... then the $100 a pound soft glass that looks like boro came out and the frenzy started! I've had many laughs about that and the end result is that boro seems cheap now.

We've had a lot of things come together in the last several years. People are stepping up their home studio equipment and getting hotter torches... and the boro bug is in full swing. I love it! Exciting times for sure!

"Truth is, everybody is going to hurt you; you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for." -Bob Marley
Old 2009-02-26, 12:03am
She better not sell these

I am one of the people who were concerned about eye safety and stayed away from boro for that very reason. I wasn't going to invest in any glass until I was absolutely positive that my vision was safe. I have had the torch and power for boro for over a year, but have been waiting until I had the final safety issue of my eye protection covered.

Glass is cheap compared to your health.

#T53
"I love making lampwork beads, one at a time, with a Cricket or Minnnow burner on 5LPM oxycons".
Old 2009-02-26, 1:28am

Hi Twiggy,

Did you see Ed's post in the thread he started? Mike was gracious enough to follow up on a request Brent made and ran an example for small boro beads. You can find it in the thread:

"Energy radiance information for small torches/small boro beads "

As Ed notes in this thread, the university they contacted corroborated some of the key numbers in Mike's revised post, agreeing to three decimal points which is outstandingly good. Brent, who had expressed the most concern about the earlier values, seems to agree with this revision, too. Also, Mike's revised page can be shown to agree with some measured data NIOSH made in an evaluation of a glass shop in 1997. This is significant forward progress over the past few days.

If you want to take advantage of Mike's revised relationship, you still need to do your own personal assessment, however.

To give you at least one example why, you might want to look at my post #48 in the thread

"Best Eye Health Info? How Do We Figure Out If We're Safe Enough?"

where I used myself as an example. I'm not able to work as far away as 16" (I wish!), so I'm naturally going to have to do a little more to protect against visible light hazards than a taller person, and in my case, I can't get far enough away from the flame alone to avoid at least some IR. That said, and at least for small boro work on a minor, it looks like I can choose among currently available eye protection to find a solution for my individual needs. You may be taller or shorter than me, have a different torch or may want to work a different boro size. You also need to decided if you're comfortable with Mike's revised information or would prefer another method or source to guide your choices.

Linda