Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2009-10-25, 12:45pm
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Default CIM Gunmetal - finish rubbing off?

I just worked the first time with CIM Gunmetal.

Hate how shocky it is - the rods are just exploding in the flame. I decided to anneal the rods now and that worked better.

Love love love the very even matte metallic effect. However, when I was cleaning the beads, I realised that the metallic finish wears off and leaves just black behind. I rubbed intentionally, and yes - you can simply rub it off with your finger! *shock*

Any ideas? Will it make a difference if I anneal the beads longer?
Was it a mistake to anneal the rods?
Do I always have to encase it? Will the effect even stay with encasing?
Is it one of the colors that you can't soak too long in water? I was soaking the mandrels approx. 30 minutes in soapy water.

Argh, I'm bummed. It was a very nice set.

Thanks!

Etsy Vintage shop
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Webpage ->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-10-25, 12:47pm
Wahwahbabypants

Well that's just craptastic. I just bought a pound of it and haven't tried it yet.

I might go Crazyif I don't go Crazy Tonight.
Old 2009-10-25, 12:52pm

Charlene - it's really a great glass (apart from the shocky-ness).
I'm sure I made something wrong - surely they wouldn't release a color where you can simply with your thumb rub of the finish.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2009-10-25, 1:54pm

Hmmm, I have some focals made out of this, I will have to try and rub it off and see if my finish rubs off. that would suck!

Amy

Old 2009-10-25, 2:13pm
make beads not war

I've just tried rubbing the leaves and focals I've made out of mine and it isn't rubbing off. Have you tried emailing Kathy? She's usually very responsive.
Old 2009-10-25, 3:18pm

It was only rubbing off fresh out of the soaking water.
The beads that are dry now, I can't rub it off any more. Weird!

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2009-10-25, 3:21pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

that IS weird.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2009-10-25, 3:24pm

Thanks for posting - I thought it was just me. I thought I hadn't 'blushed' it enough to get the finish on some of the beads I made. Others were just fine. My rods weren't shocky, though.

Linda
Old 2009-10-25, 7:39pm
Lampworkaholic!

My rods aren't shocky either and the finish isn't rubbing off. But the first rod I tried, I got a shiny silver finish by striking (not reducing). Haven't been able to get that again, just the matte metallic. Ah well, it is called Gunmetal.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2009-10-25, 7:43pm

Yeap, seems I shouldn't have put it in soapy water.
Now where they all dry, it doesn't rub off any more.
New try tomorrow This time without soaking.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2009-10-25, 11:32pm
Storm Queen

So that means you can't get any soapy water on a bracelet made with Gunmetal beads when you wash your hands?

Old 2009-10-26, 12:13am

I just think Judith took a ride to the twilight zone!

Old 2009-10-26, 12:21am

Baaawahhahha ...

Guess it depends how long you wash your hands I wouldn't wear it while participating on Survivor Samoa though (have you seen how wrinkled their hands and feet were after 6 days of torrential rainfall?).

I will take a few of the beads and soak them tomorrow again in soapy water - first for a minute, then a bit more, and more ... until I can recreate (or not). I can't use them in any way any more, as the finish is partly gone.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2009-10-26, 2:41am
still in my jammies

I took some of my Gunmetal beads and washed them with soap and water... and yup.... omg.... the finish rubs off. I didn't have to soak them, just get them wet and soapy for a few seconds. When I rubbed hard with my fingers the finish disappeared.

and I've sold so many gunmetal beads to customers already!

~
~
~

Creativity requires the courage to let go of certainties. -Erich Fromm
Old 2009-10-26, 2:53am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

ow that sucks that the finish is wearing off, weird though that it only happends when the bead is wet

Old 2009-10-26, 3:07am

That's no good news.
Thanks for testing and confirming my own results.
I don't think i will make another bead with it and for sure i can't sell it to a customer. If soap does that to the finish, just think of perfume, moisturizer or hairspray.
What a pity - i really love the soft glowing finish.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2009-10-26, 3:24am
Gimme that silver glass!

That's very bad news indeed . Maybe it's a certain batch problem? I recently ordered 1/2 lb of it, when I get it, I will test it as well...

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2009-10-26, 7:04am

You do need to mention this to Kathy at CIM. She wants to hear the bad as well as the good about new colors.
Old 2009-10-26, 7:25am

Wow. So strange! Yes do email Kathy!!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2009-10-26, 9:21am
still in my jammies

Ok, I have emailed Kathy and given her the link to this thread.

~
~
~

Old 2009-10-26, 1:50pm

I wonder if the durability of this finish has anything to do with how hot the bead were when you struck them? I think I have a rod of Gunmetal here somewhere, if I get a chance I'll try a couple of different things.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2009-10-26, 2:07pm

This glass is sitting in my stash waiting for me to try, but does the finish stay true if clear encased?

Old 2009-10-26, 2:20pm

Lets find out! Someone here was also trying museum wax to keep on a DSP finish -- someone should try that, too.

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; in practice there is." ~ Chuck Reid
Old 2009-10-26, 2:59pm
still in my jammies

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROC View Post
This glass is sitting in my stash waiting for me to try, but does the finish stay true if clear encased?
It turned plain black when I encased it.

~
~
~

Old 2009-10-26, 3:02pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower33 View Post
It turned plain black when I encased it.
Well, shoot. Will you let us know what Kathy has to say? Maybe she has some ideas.

Old 2009-10-26, 3:54pm

I'm not surprised that it turns black when encasing - DSP for example or Metallic Black can't retain the finish either. And when buying, I didn't expect the glass to keep the finish when encasing.

However - I did expect the glass to keep the finish without encasing. That it simply goes away with soapy water is not right in my opinion.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2009-10-26, 4:48pm
a pox upon an idiot :..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus Beads View Post

I did expect the glass to keep the finish without encasing. That it simply goes away with soapy water is not right in my opinion.
Not right is an understatement. It's ridiculous that the finish comes off with soapy water. What exactly is in the finish that rubs off? Is it something that could possibly be toxic to the countless customers who have bought jewelry and are wearing beads made with this glass? I'm glad that I haven't used mine yet considering Product Liability lawsuits and all.
Old 2009-10-26, 6:15pm
burnin' glass just becuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand Beads View Post
Lets find out! Someone here was also trying museum wax to keep on a DSP finish -- someone should try that, too.
that was me. it works, you just have to ensure you get even the tiny dots well protected with the wax. i soaked the DSP beads in soapy water for about 6weeks and the finish remained.

i've switched to Triton or Aurae when i want a metallic finish - they seem to be more durable (so far)

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2009-10-26, 7:27pm
make beads not war

Okay... I took some of my beads I've made with gunmetal and washed it in soapy water. I rubbed it, even used a brass brush and the finish is not coming off.

So maybe it's a bad batch? I got mine when it was first released.
Old 2009-10-27, 12:53pm
Living Life Creatively

ooh, boy—I was scared when I first read this last night because I had just finished making a set with Gunmetal! eek! This morning I cleaned them in just water like I do normally and didn't notice any of the finish coming off. Then I tried rubbing it with bar soap and scrubbed hard over it with a damp towel, and it didn't come off. But when I tried soaking a bead for about 15 min. in the toilet cleaner I use to get rid of the grey smutz on copper green, it definitely disappeared on me.

Just thought I'd pass on my experience to see if it could help with this problem? Judith—what kind of soap were you using?

I'd definitely write Kathy and see what she has to say and I'm sure she'd want to know so she can work on fixing it if this is a problem for other people too. *Ü*
-
-
-