No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2009-12-30, 12:45pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Default Studio Vent Solutions

I have been reading several threads regarding ventilation and studio layout/design here and I have 2 things to add.

1. Mike Auraleos (sp) has a lot of researched information with formulas and specifications on several sites regarding ventilation systems. Look on his site for links.

2. I'll share what I have done. It works well for me. I used a scrounged 3 speed furnace squirrel cage fan (free) mounted over a 4' x 5' bench about 30" above the surface. The pics tell the rest.
Attached Images

Old 2009-12-30, 1:27pm

um, awesome. i'm very jealous of your working space.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

handmade with my headphones on...
Old 2009-12-30, 3:38pm
Dichro Addict

Sweet!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-12-31, 7:02am
Anyone need some spacers?

The mirror is a great idea.

Old 2009-12-31, 12:08pm

Very nice!

Linda
Old 2009-12-31, 12:26pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Thanks guys,
Tracy, I'm supprised more people do not use a mirror in front of them. It must be an east coast or 'pipe maker' thing. I first saw it at AGI several years ago but do not see it often here on the west coast. But I don't see many 'pipe maker' studios either so it may be more prevalent than I think.
PJ
Old 2009-12-31, 2:46pm
birdergirl ~o~

I had a mirror for a while but the way it was positioned it seemed to not be in line with my bench shield so I had to remove it, I guess with glasses it's not a problem.

~raised by wolves~sleeps with foxes~cooks for crows~feeds the bears~scrabbles with squids~antisymmetrical~politically agnostic.

Torchering glass since spring '06~ gold cricket & oxycon!~
Old 2009-12-31, 9:14pm
In spite of it all!

Great studio PJ! I will have to check out your venting system when I am up that way.

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us. ~ Stephen Covey

Old 2010-01-20, 6:53am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng076 View Post
I'll share what I have done. It works well for me. I used a scrounged 3 speed furnace squirrel cage fan (free) mounted over a 4' x 5' bench about 30" above the surface. The pics tell the rest.

Is the window your source of fresh air? Can anyone give counsel on the size of the fresh air opening to be adequate for the exhaust fan?
Old 2010-01-20, 7:58am
Gentleman of Leisure

Fresh air intake needs to be equal to size of exhaust or larger... If exhaust duct is 50.265 sq-in (8 inch round duct) fresh air intake needs to be 50.265 sq-in OR LARGER......

Just remember studio is large void in middle of "duct run" (from beginning of outside air intake to end of duct run where contaminated air is expelled....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-01-20, 11:08am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale M. View Post
Fresh air intake needs to be equal to size of exhaust or larger... If exhaust duct is 50.265 sq-in (8 inch round duct) fresh air intake needs to be 50.265 sq-in OR LARGER......

Just remember studio is large void in middle of "duct run" (from beginning of outside air intake to end of duct run where contaminated air is expelled....

Dale

Thank you. And is there a best or preferable location for the air intake source if one has a 3-sided hood type enclosure?
Old 2010-01-20, 12:35pm
old fart

IMHO, you need baffles that extend from your hood to the worksurface so all ventilation air flows through the from of you hood, and you might consider lowering the lip in the front area of the hood to reduce the face area.

Old 2010-01-20, 12:40pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserglass View Post
IMHO, you need baffles that extend from your hood to the worksurface so all ventilation air flows through the from of you hood, and you might consider lowering the lip in the front area of the hood to reduce the face area.
Ditto....

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-01-20, 1:08pm

Default AIM Kiln

I'm in the process of having my Studio upgraded as well. I've noticed in the corner you have an AIM Kiln just like mine. I'm trying to figure out how to use it? I just got it and am new to beading so my exposure is nil - would you mind sharing how to program it?

Yea!! Suzanne
Old 2010-01-20, 2:00pm
Curmudgeon Engineering

Default Kiln controller and answers

Sorry I'm so late answering these questions but my computer crashed on Sunday and I only got it back last evening. I was able to do some stuff on my very old one but just barely.

suzanne, I sent you a PM. We are in the same area. I'm up the SR-18 hill above Kent, near World Vision or where Weyerhauser Way crosses SR-18. I would be happy to help you with the kiln; however I use a Skutt Controller on mine. They are'nt hard to decifer and program.

Make up air comes into my studio thru a 30" x 30" hole in a door to the rest of the garage directly behind me that is not in the pics. I have a furnace filter in the opening to keep any dust down as I do some wood working in there. It is true that you need an opening area that is equal or larger than the outlet area but keep in mind that the velocity of the air thru that opening is inversely proportional - larger opening slower the air flow and less noise. my outlet is 24" x 24" aprox.

My fan pulls so much air that I do not need the side 'baffels' but have them anyway. They are removable so I can set up other torch stations on the end of the bench. 3 speed fan that pulls 1200, 2200, and 3000+ CFM. Also notice I have oxy and propane lines with quick connects at the bench ends and a second set in the middle so I can run 4 torches if I want too.

PJ
Old 2010-01-20, 2:07pm
In spite of it all!

PJ... Your the man I want to help me finish the layup for the event this summer for sure! I can't wait till you come here in March! I have some ideas and can't wait to cook em the rest of the way with you. It's gonna be so fun!

Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us. ~ Stephen Covey

Old 2010-01-21, 3:45pm
working to pay for glass

wow what a awesome space
Old 2010-02-19, 11:01am

Great set up!

R-118