Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-06-23, 3:51am

Default When can I dip my mandrels?

I need to know how long before torching can I dip my mandrels in the bead release? Can you do it anytime and use when your ready days or weeks later or must you do it just before?

I know some of the bead relseases are air dry and some are flame dry, I can't recall which kind I got?? I'll have to go look, anyway, most of them say you can air dry prior to using. I just wanted to know if it hurts anything to dip them and let them sit for a long while?

An artist cannot fail; it is a success to be one. ~Charles Horton Cooley
Old 2010-06-23, 3:53am
BeadsonCypress

I dip mine 50-75 at a time.....I only have issues if the bead release is too thick and it gets too humid...

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2010-06-23, 4:09am
Bead Crone

I think, to a degree, that it depends on the release being used. I've seen people who say that they must use dipped mandrels within a day or so, or they end up with problems. Others don't seem to have those issues, and dip quite a ways in advance. I use Fusion and have never had a problem because of my dipped mandrels sitting for any length of time.

You may want to ask these kinds of questions in the Tips, Techniques and Questions room. Here's a link to it: Tips, Techniques and Questions. It's the place that's most appropriate to ask for the kind of information you usually seem to be looking for, and it's a great resource to search as well. The Family Room is more for general, non-technical posts.
Old 2010-06-23, 4:25am
one day at a time

If you live in a damp climate they can absorb moisture and flake. But I'm in South FL and I've had some that were dipped for a month and were fine. They were a little rusty but that didn't get in the bead holes and make any stains.

You can dip them and they should be fine for a week or more. Some bead releases flake more than others, and I have one that many say does that after a few days. I have never had problems with it - K.R.A.G Mudd.

This one:

www.kittrellriffkind.com/krag_mudd.php
Old 2010-06-23, 4:36am

I use Fusion for the last 10 years and never a problem. Sometimes I don't use the mandrels for 6 months or more. Colorado is fairly dry so humidity is not a problem. I can also flame dry and use immediately. Works for me!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-06-24, 1:18am
Unmedicated since '62

i dip 50 at a time, sometimes they dont get used for months and their fine

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2010-06-24, 2:43am

Default bead release

I use fusion, I dip 100 or more at a time and can use them immediately, or 1 month later, and it does get rather damp here in Ontario.

Old 2010-06-24, 3:59am
state-eternal change

I use Fusion - I've had some sit around for over a year and no problem. Cobwebs just burn up in the flame, by the way LOL

Old 2010-06-24, 8:01am
Ellyloo-YAH!

Yeah, and if they develop brown spots on them or whatever... it burns away too....as long as it doesn't *fall off*, you're good.

Careful of any THICK inconsistant application when flame drying (like the droplet on the very tip...)... it pops off the mandrel just like popcorn. KAPOW! that's only if it's not dry on the inside, but looks dry on the outside.

Old 2010-06-24, 12:35pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

I've used mandrels that have been dipped over a year in advance, I have also used them immediately. Depends partially on your humidity and your bead release. Bead release always works best when air dried but most bead releases can be flame dried, gently & slowly (!) out in the tips of your flame.
Old 2010-06-24, 12:46pm

Well leave it to me to be out woman out. If I let mine sit for longer than a few weeks they flake like mad IF I try to use a press.

Old 2010-06-24, 6:38pm

I went to the shop and found my dip, It's called Dip and Go Sludge. It says it can be air dried or flame dried. I live in the south and it is extremely humid. Should I dip now and use them when I get my workarea going or should I wait?
Does anybody else use Dip and Go?

Old 2010-06-25, 9:42am
Crispy Critter

I've been using FosterFire bead release and can still use mandrels that were dipped 6 months earlier. It probably helps that I really thin it down and make sure the mandrels air dry in a low humidity area.

Old 2010-06-25, 11:01am
She's Back & Burnin'

I live in a very high humidity area and can't leave my mandrels sitting around very long. Even though I have air conditioning they still have to be redone if they sit longer than a week.

Sara

Old 2010-06-25, 11:09am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyJo1969 View Post
I need to know how long before torching can I dip my mandrels in the bead release? Can you do it anytime and use when your ready days or weeks later or must you do it just before?

I know some of the bead relseases are air dry and some are flame dry, I can't recall which kind I got?? I'll have to go look, anyway, most of them say you can air dry prior to using. I just wanted to know if it hurts anything to dip them and let them sit for a long while?
I have mandrels that I've dipped months ago and they seem to hold up. If I am torching and I'm out, I just dip mine and flash it in and out of the flame a few times until it turns almost a grey white and I'm usually good to go.
Don't leave it in the flame because then you'll hear a pop and a nice little hole appears. Usually happens when the release is put on too thick.
I use Fusion.

Old 2010-06-25, 11:12am

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippystretch View Post
I use fusion, I dip 100 or more at a time and can use them immediately, or 1 month later, and it does get rather damp here in Ontario.
I cannot imagine over 100 at a time. Oy! You have patience.

Someone needs to really invent a (not expensive) machine to dip. I have it in my head on what to do but just don't know who to call to actually make one! Any inventors in here?

Old 2010-06-25, 11:13am
Peerless Thread Killer

Quote:
I went to the shop and found my dip, It's called Dip and Go Sludge. It says it can be air dried or flame dried. I live in the south and it is extremely humid. Should I dip now and use them when I get my workarea going or should I wait?
Does anybody else use Dip and Go?
Yes, I use Sludge and love it. I live in south central VA and it's terribly humid here. I can dip in advance, and as long as I heat the release up to a cherry red before I wind the glass on, it works fine. I also can flame dry Sludge gently and it works great. I thin it to the consistency of cream.

Old 2010-06-25, 2:24pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisdd View Post
I've been using FosterFire bead release and can still use mandrels that were dipped 6 months earlier. It probably helps that I really thin it down and make sure the mandrels air dry in a low humidity area.
How thin is "thin?" I keep mine about the consistency of a thick milkshake and as long as I use them quickly I don't have issues. But if they sit more than a couple of weeks, they flake like mad in a press.

Old 2010-06-25, 2:26pm
koregon

if you use fusion, you can dip them MONTHS ahead of time. I have dipped can's and can's of mandrels and then not torched for long period of time...so I know beads come off mandrels I dipped three months ago, we just torched last week and are getting down to the last of the can's

Old 2010-06-25, 6:50pm
Crispy Critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarleenMB View Post
How thin is "thin?" I keep mine about the consistency of a thick milkshake and as long as I use them quickly I don't have issues. But if they sit more than a couple of weeks, they flake like mad in a press.
Super thin. I've thinned it to where I could just barely see the mandrel through the release. When it's that thin it does make it a harder to get the bead off the mandrel, so I use it just a smidge thicker than that.

Old 2010-06-25, 7:05pm

I use fusion and dip as many as I can. I have no problem with them sitting for long periods of time. In fact I think they cure and work better if they have sat for a few days. Lately it seems I have trouble using same day dipped mandrels, I have had a few break.

Old 2010-06-26, 1:28am

Just add a little water to thin? (of course what else would you use!? ) Thought I better ask though and make positive.

Old 2010-06-26, 6:29am
Crispy Critter

Yep. Add a little at a time and shake really well. Repeat as needed.

Old 2010-06-27, 3:14am

thank you!

I made my first beads ever today! (WOO HOO!) And I just dipped in the sludge right before and dried in the flame. It seemed too thick to me (but how would i really know at this point?) And I noticed that even when i tipped them upright in a jar, there was a tiny raised bead of sludge at the tip end. IS that going to make it a nightmare to get the bead off the mandrel? I have to soak them in water first before I try pulling off right? FOr how long do you soak them?

I have everything to learn so let me have it!
Michele

Old 2010-06-29, 9:13am
state-eternal change

Quote:
thank you!

I made my first beads ever today! (WOO HOO!) And I just dipped in the sludge right before and dried in the flame. It seemed too thick to me (but how would i really know at this point?) And I noticed that even when i tipped them upright in a jar, there was a tiny raised bead of sludge at the tip end. IS that going to make it a nightmare to get the bead off the mandrel? I have to soak them in water first before I try pulling off right? FOr how long do you soak them?

I have everything to learn so let me have it!
Michele
Congrats on making your first beads! How exciting! After everything is cooled down to room temperature, put your mandrels with beads on them in a container of water. You can break the sludge off with your fingers, and then, gripping the mandrel in a pair of pliers or vice grips, hold the bead, and twist off the mandrel. The closer the pliers or vice grips are to the bead, the less chance of bending your mandrel too. If you can't get the bead off, put the mandrel in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes, and then try again.