LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2011-01-19, 11:16am

Default ? exhaust covering

Hi the following is a duplicate thread I posted in "studio"- wasn't sure which place it fit:

I'm still working on setting up a studio- took some time off to go to the sun for my annual winter dosage of vitamin D. Now back in the grey weather, day job, and anticipated fun with my new studio-

I need help figuring out how to cover my exhaust (ventilation) fan when not in use. It is mounted on an outside wall and on the outside is about a 14" diameter and it is mounted more than 8 feet high. (I'm only 5'2 !) ON the inside the diameter of the vent opening, in an overhead hood, is 12 inch diameter that houses a 10" duct- this sits about 36 inches above the work bench.

As a temporary solution, when we went out of town for a few weeks, was to take one of those really large brown plastic garbage bags- it fit perfectly and tight around the circumference on the outside- it was great protection from the worst of the rains and really windy days. And it remains in great condition. Though, This is far too impractical for everyday use.

The only thing I can think of to use as a cover is to perhaps rig together something metal with magnets to use on the inside opening. ??? Any ideas how to do this or other suggestions?

I may end up redoing my hood later- not totally happy with it- but will keep the exhaust fan- so I would still need solution for cover.
Cyndi
Old 2011-01-19, 11:27am

I use a big piece of Plexiglas cut slightly bigger than the hole to cover the exhaust port inside of my hood when I'm not working. I glued rare earth magnets to it to keep it in place. In the center I attached a handle with a couple of screws to make it easy to remove. I also have a sign that I place in front of the torch when I put the cover on that reads "VENT CLOSED" so I'll remember to take the cover out before I crank things up. It works about 99% of the time.

Robert

Robert
Old 2011-01-19, 6:58pm

Robert
Great idea. And I'm chucklng about your signage cause just this morning I forgot I had the garbage sack on the vent outside and turned on the fan ... though caught in the first seconds!

Where would I find the magnets?

Thanks for your help,
Cyndi
Old 2011-01-20, 7:03am

You can order them from a lot of different places, some good hardware stores sell them. I live near Highland Hardware in Atlanta and can pick them up there if I need them.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/r...gnets1pk4.aspx

If you have access to old computer hard drives you can get incredibly strong magnets out of them, too.

Robert
Old 2011-01-25, 4:46pm

Thanks Robert, I found the magnets.