Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2011-11-25, 9:30am
Still makin' flowers...

Default Steampunk Zipper & Lampwork Bead Bracelet

This is the second tutorial I've submitted based on Project Accessory. I was all set to LOVE this show, but as it turns out it hasn't been nearly as inspirational as I thought it would be. Nevertheless, I love this bracelet.

You can see my first tutorial based on the TV show here.
http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209826

Okay, so here's the bracelet.

And here is Nina's bracelet, which was my inspiration.

Now, before we get into this, let me just say that I believe this design belongs to her, and I made this bracelet for myself. I think the design is fabulous. However, in this case I may well sell the finished project because I think I've made it "mine" enough and also because there are already a number of really amazing zipper designs on Etsy.
You can see them here:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ReborneJewelry
http://www.etsy.com/shop/ZIPPERjewelry
http://www.etsy.com/shop/meganleone?section_id=6214583
http://www.etsy.com/shop/catrinel777?section_id=6888287

Materials Needed:
*1 or more 24" plastic zipper (I've used two for this sample)
*Ultrasuede in one or more colors (I've used two colors here - a red for the front and a blue for the lining)
*Lacy's Stiff Stuff or thick interfacing. Fusible is great!
*Clasp: I've used a purse clasp. I have a number of them for sale if you want to PM me, or you might be able to fnd them on Etsy.
*Optional: Lampwork Glass Disk Beads. Mine are boro and if you PM me I can make some for you
*Optional: Lampwork glass leftover wavy bead from my other free tutorial projects. Tutorial available here:
http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99725
*Optional: Tim Holtz Steampunk Cogs
*Optional: Leftover Swarovski crystals and seed beads from other projects
*Needles
*Thread - regular for the base part of the bracelet and beading thread for adding beads - I recommend Fireline.
*Small, sharp scissors
*Glue - I recommend e6000, which is super stinky but works great because it remains flexible when dry

Cut a 2" x 8.5" (or whatever size will fit you - remember, because this is big you don't want it to be too snug) rectangle from both the interfacing (Lacy's stiff stuff) and the front color of your ultrasuede. If its fusible, get out that old iron and stick 'em together! Otherwise, open up that glue. If you do glue them, give it all time to dry!

Open up the zipper(s). Cut off the end pieces and the pull. You'll end up with two working pieces per zipper. You might want to keep that pull for a decorative element on your bracelet, but I just tossed mine.

Start in the center and curl up your zipper. Tack it on. In the case of mine, I had two zippers so had a two-tone look that I rather enjoyed. One zipper that was longer than the other, so I ended up separating the two of them and really just playing with the curls. Don't tack them down all the way - you want a sort of 3d effect here! remember to hide the cut ends of your zipper underneath the curls and tack them down especially well.

Here's half of the bracelet:

And here's all of the zipper pieces tacked down:

My ginormous clasp is more of a fashion statement than the rest of the zipper. I needed some extra insurance on it, so I knew I had to really sew it down and didn't want those stitches showing on the inside of the bracelet, so I put it on next so I could later cover the interior stitches with the lining. Generally, I wouldn't put the clasp on until the end.

Optional: I decided that the rectagular shape was super boring, so I trimmed it to match the freeform curliques of the zipper better.

At this point, you could well slap a lining on this and call it done!
But...
I decided it needed some beads, and I happen to have a few hanging around my house, so I grabbed some Tim Holtz cogs and sewed them on, and then grabbed some leftover boro disks I had hanging around and then started rummaging through my Swarovski crystals and sewed them on.
It was sorta a free-for-all around here.

First, here's a photo of those disks

I blame Val for an obsessive couple of days in which I did nothing but make these.

And here's a photo of the bracelet with the stuff all haphazardly sewn on.

You're nearly done! The interior of your bracelet probably is a mess of knots and threads and stuff. That's okay - you should have seen mine. Glue it onto the lining ultrasuede. I suggest sticking your bracelet to a larger piece of lining and waiting until the glue dries before trimming it. While you wait for it to dry, you have to figure out what to do with the edging. You have a couple of different options.

Option 1: Whip stitch the edges closed.
You can learn to do a whip stitch here. http://www.ehow.com/video_4940669_sew-whip-stitch.html

Option 2: Whip stitch the edges closed using a bead
You do it the same way as above, only add a seed bead as you are working. This looks great because it looks the same as the zipper edge.

Option 3: Use seed bead picot stitch
Picot stitch is a great way to finish off the edge of bead embroidery so you don’t see the cut edge(s) of fabric. Picot also looks great in 15/0 beads.

Before Set Up for the 3-Bead Picot Stitch – thread on 3 beads (see diagram below). You will use three beads to set up the pattern just this time. The middle bead will sit up above the 2 side beads on either side. Let the beads fall to the bottom of thread and rest on the bracelet edge.

Move needle over one bead width and pass needle from the back, a whisper in from the edge and through to the front edge. Now, pass the needle up through the last bead from its bottom hole through bead to top.

From now on you will only thread on 2 beads each time you create a bead picot. You will simply thread on 2 beads and make another small stitch that is one bead width away, bringing needle through from back to front edge. Now bring needle up through the last bead and tug thread to set beads into position.

There you go! Wear and enjoy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
--NEW and Updated Beading Tutorials for all levels
!

Last edited by HannahRachel; 2011-11-25 at 10:40am.
Old 2011-11-25, 10:03am
Jer. 29:11, Prov.10:19

Nice!
Old 2011-11-25, 10:59am

beautiful!

R-118
Old 2011-11-25, 1:40pm
Serenity Now!

Fantastic! I love how you made it yours - and how generously you share your knowledge and talent.

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
Old 2011-11-25, 1:48pm
novembersfyre everywhere

I love this! And, believe it or not I already have all of the stuff: zippers, ultrasuede, gears and disc beads! I'll probably fabricate a clasp of some kind.

Thanks so much, Hannah!

Old 2011-11-27, 4:39pm
Happy Inner Dragon

And what a lovely paisley effect, too

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2011-11-28, 1:56pm

Thanks Hannah for sharing . Love it!!!
Janet C
Old 2011-11-28, 3:23pm

Hannah you are so sweet to share with all of us! So cool!!!
Old 2011-11-28, 3:28pm
...displaced ocean lover

Woo-Hoo! Something to do with that huge bag of old zippers that my mom saved for whatever reasons she had. (and more curious is why I saved them all these years!?)

Thank for making this tut! It's wonderful!!!
BTW, yours is more appealing in my opinion....

...I wonder if all contestants on shows aren't there simply b/c they are bombastic or hyperbolic more than anything else. I haven't seen this show but I've noticed that all reality shows seem to feature the most unrealistic people I've ever seen.

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats

Last edited by Roo Blaty; 2011-11-28 at 3:48pm.
Old 2011-12-02, 6:07am
ChiWowWow Mom

I love this...your version is way better than the original.
Old 2011-12-02, 6:58am
Lampworkaholic!

We need a Like button. (Or you need a Facebook page.) Lovely work!

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox

Last edited by Elizabeth Beads; 2011-12-02 at 7:08am.
Old 2011-12-02, 9:07am
Still makin' flowers...

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Here's some completely unrelated thoughts.

I have a facebook page! But I don't have this up there. I am in the middle of updating it.... I'm so far behind on it, I can't even tell you. Which, BTW, is NOT good Social Marketing policy.

I'm also really far behind on my personal website. I fixed up just the front page, but everything else is really in need of some work. I keep meaning to do it, and then get sidetracked. Look! Swarovski Crystals! Must make something shiny....

So, last night I was absolutely uninspired by nearly everything on the new episode, which is probably good since I have a free tutorial I promised to Angelique Redhead that I gotta get done (she doesn't know its gonna be a freebie, but its seriously so easy) without getting sidetracked by new ideas. I wish they had a better showcasing of the contestants original work. I'd like to have seen their design sensibilities and collections before they were given these challenges with the specific materials and requirements. I do like the idea of found object and repurposing, but the whining is really unprofessional.

--NEW and Updated Beading Tutorials for all levels
!

Last edited by HannahRachel; 2011-12-02 at 9:14am.