Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2006-07-09, 3:13am
what's a senior moment ?

Default Best way to anneal question.....

Ok, this may be one of those "dumb" questions but I need to ask. Since boro has to be annealed at such high temps, what do you do about your off mandrel work ? Put it on a fiber blanket ? Lay it on the floor of the kiln ? What ? Inquiring minds want to know. I don't assume anything anymore - it's gets me into to too much trouble ! lol !
Thanks,
Debbie A.
Old 2006-07-09, 3:44am
Serenity Now!

Hiya Debbie! Wouldn't want you to get into any trouble...I "toss" my off-mandrel work right into the kiln - the floor is covered with a layer of vermiculite. Some artists decide to use a crock-pot or fibre blanket, and then batch anneal. Both ways work. Have fun!

Art, Colour, Bling & Happy happening here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-07-09, 4:02am
what's a senior moment ?

Ah, multiple choice !!! Very good to know ! Thanks very much Val ! I appreciate the help !
Debbie A.
Old 2006-07-09, 9:36am
Type ZZZ personality

I just put it on the floor of my kiln -- no fiber or vermiculite. Just make sure that the piece is not still soft when you do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2006-07-09, 10:15am

I put a fiber blanket on the floor of my kiln, but that is just there to keep marbles from rolling around. Before I worried about marbles I always placed everything regardless of whether it was soft or hard glass on the kiln floor.

Eric
Old 2006-07-09, 10:29am

Default Annealing

I uses mostly soft glass and 12" mandrels and work in the middle of the mandrels.
I have a split door in my kiln and keep one side with a perforated metal sheet standing up into which I place the end of the mandrels for the first beads I make and the mandrel sticks part way out the door as I Like to grab the end and move them over to the other side where I keep a blanket on the floor to lay them when I fill up the first side.

The doors have insulated blankets that form around the mandrels that stick out so there is no heat loss problem. I do have brick inserts if I want to close the kiln doors, say for fusing. I have been told you can anneal boro and soft glass together if you use a temperature just under the melting point of the soft glass. Peg M
Old 2006-07-09, 11:59am
what's a senior moment ?

Thanks to all you ! I do appreciate it. I'm gonna batch anneal as I'm not making much right now. Just a few pieces here and there. Learning the colors and what they do. lol !
Thanks again !
Debbie A.