Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2006-09-24, 4:07pm

Default Electric Mandrel Spinner??

A few weeks ago I noticed a post here about the electric mandrel spinner, I think its a great idea; BUT $199? My point is that wouln't it be possible to use say a small hand held electric screw driver and just put a mandrel in that?

Maybe its not one of my better thoughts; but I'd imagine any kind of drill would have to offer a better, more affordable option.
Old 2006-09-24, 5:03pm

I do not have an electric mandrel spinner (EMS) but I have seen it in a demonstration. Unlike a drill it's speed can be changed by pressure on the mandrel/mandrel holder. It can even be stopped to add dots. It has all sorts of nifty tools to use with it too, like the two barreled marver. I think a drill would be too fast and just fling the glass off the mandrel.

It is really nifty, but too expensive for me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2006-09-24, 5:08pm
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewdawn
A few weeks ago I noticed a post here about the electric mandrel spinner, I think its a great idea; BUT $199? My point is that wouln't it be possible to use say a small hand held electric screw driver and just put a mandrel in that?

Maybe its not one of my better thoughts; but I'd imagine any kind of drill would have to offer a better, more affordable option.
My thought exactly. Then I tried using a drill. Several types. I also tried modified lollipop spinners, battery toothbrushes, and even a battery powered marshmallow spinner (yes... there really is an electric marshmallow spinner). What I found was speed control problems and severe mandrel wobble in every alternative approach.

The critical functional elements are fast... but not too fast, and variable to slow... but not too slow... and stop and restart, and everywhere in between. And all immediately in tune to the need of the moment. Essentially, it has to 'work' the mandrel exactly like we work a mandrel. Simply put, it must do much more than 'just spin'. And it's got to be light enough and balanced enough to use for hours.

Scott -who makes the Electric Mandrel Spinner - really put a lot of engineering skill (and parts cost) into his design. I saw it at the ISGB Gathering and immediately decided to just give up trying to find alternatives.

Me

p.s. I have no ties with Scott's company... in fact I'd compete with them if I thought I could make a better mandrel spinner for less. Heck... even an equal product for less... but I don't see how it could be done.
Old 2006-09-24, 6:26pm

Just seems like something to simple to produce; I am sure he put time and money into the process, but he has to be making a ton of profit on this. Thats why I am thinking that there has to be something out there that will do the same thing.
I am sure anything with power could be modified in speed, just that I don't have the answer on how to do it--thats why I put it out for people that may have had the thought like you did.
Old 2006-09-24, 7:10pm

It is very well engineered and very well balanced. It's an amazingly comfortable tool. While without the batteries it weighs very little, the engineering is excellent for its function.

I LOVE MINE!!!
(Like you, I originally thought the price high - now I think it's more than fair.)
Old 2006-09-24, 7:12pm

I don't think he makes a ton of profit. He makes each one by hand by himself and has to have parts made. I too don't have any affiliation with his product, but saw him at our local meeting.

anewdawn, if you can build a better mousetrap, go for it.

Old 2006-09-24, 7:13pm

OH yeah, I forgot to mention that the part you hold onto is balanced to stay even in your hand.

Old 2006-09-24, 7:21pm

I tried them at AGI as well as a bunch of the other guys there. It seemed really difficult to use for all of us. I really didn't see anyone able to do much with it. But I guess it just must be a learning curve issue. Once you figure it out it seemed like it should be nice. (We were using it with boro though, so that may make a difference, or maybe my non-skills had something to do with it.)

Old 2006-09-24, 8:10pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Motors such as the one used in the EMS are VERY expensive. I work in manufacturing and we use motors in one of the products we build and they are quite high dollar.
Old 2006-09-25, 2:49am

Default Ems

I bought one of these 5 months ago. It was very easy to use and I was using it fairly competently within a day or so. I can't say the price seemed excessive because it is very well made. It is very light and balanced, rather life using a pen. I did try a small dremel but the EMS spins much slower, more at the speed you would spin a mandrel yourself and you can slow it down or stop it with just a little finger pressure. It absolutely eliminates that little jog when you hand spin and have to adjust you hand at the end of the spin so you can respin. The glass more or less rounds itself into a bead, much easier than I could do myself by hand. I think it is the best tool I ever bought. I will be buying the marver soon. You might take into account that I paid 25percent more than an American would due to the exchange rate and still think it was more than worthwhile.

Kym
Old 2006-09-25, 2:57am
Karma-believe it, live it

I have both the EMS and the rolling marver. They are very well engineered tools that are a godsend for me. I use to get alot of pain in the wrist and shoulder from twirling that mandrel all the time. Don't get the pain now.

leeanne
Old 2006-09-25, 12:42pm

ok, i want to see what this is where are they sold?? you said by scott, what's his website. thx

Old 2006-09-25, 12:54pm

http://www.bearfootart.com/catalog.php?category=46

Old 2006-09-25, 2:31pm
cam@velocity.net

Well, this discussion is very interesting. I would have thought that the any tool like that would be more of a hindrance than a help. Surprise, surprise! I also like to see lampwork artists making tools for other lampwork artists. <slaps Scott on the back>. I mean, how different things would be if we didn't have bead presses!? When I started lampworking, there was no such thing!! It's all good! The tool-maker makes some money, and the rest of use get great tools that we otherwise wouldn't have the opportunity to purchase.

Candy
Old 2006-09-25, 3:33pm

Hey atleast I finally got a discussion started.
Old 2006-09-27, 8:49pm
"....Oh Honey!"

I experimented with tools on hand. My drill and dremel were heavy and awkward. I also tried using my Flexshaft with the foot control. I sent glass flying across the room in each of my attempts.

I love my EMS and use it with boro and soft glass. I'm not a tool junkie, but this is a real time saver for me when I'm in production mode. Love it!!

dvd now available

Old 2006-09-28, 6:48am

My husband - who can build ANYTHING - said he couldn't build the mandrel spinner. Apparently there's a lot of engineering, etc., and as someone else said, he said the motor (assuming he could find one) would be very expensive. So, my spinner is on the way - ordered one of the rolling barrel things, too. Can't wait!
Old 2006-09-28, 7:18am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

I've got an EMS & just can't seem to make myself use it. I can never seem to get the mandrels tight enough in the little sleeves. The machine is very well built & I think it's a great tool, but not for me. I think I'm going to sell mine in case anyone needs one.

Vivian

-

Old 2006-09-29, 1:31am

Default Have you tightened the sleeve for the mandrel?

I never have any problem with loose mandrels so maybe you need to tighten the sleeve a little. I use a pair of beading pliers and just squeeze the very end of the sleeve just a little. Not very much pressure at all. Do you use commercial mandrels? perhaps the sizing is just a bit different? I think this EMS is a godsend for tired fingers and hands.

Kym
Old 2006-09-29, 3:52am
http://youtu.be/nGt9jAkWi

Thanks Kym.....I'll give it a try.

Vivian

-

Old 2006-09-29, 10:32am

Gently squeeze the brass tubes at the ends where the slits are. Doesn't take much. For small beads it does not even have to be that tight.
Old 2006-09-29, 10:52am

Default In a heart beat.

if I had the money I would buy Scott's tool in a minute. Scott showed us how to use one at one of my Bead Challenge Days and it is a great tool. If I remember right Kim Affleck has one for production work and you know how big her beads are and the weight must put a strain on her wrists and fingers so I am sure it is a blessing to her. Fine workmanship, engineering, and worth every penny. Peg M
Old 2006-10-07, 1:59pm
Mitzy

I can see how useful this tool would be for someone with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome or a hand tremor or limited use of one hand. At my first lesson, when my teacher kept saying, keep your mandrel level, get the head up, no too fast, too slow, too low, too high (yeah, I am a slow learner, wanna make something of it?) I thought, jeez, why doesn't someone invent a spit type thing that holds the mandrel where it should be AND spins it? Then I could concentrate on the glass!!
I can see that moving the mandrel up and down and in and out of the flame is part of the control, but I also can see where this tool could be useful. I may order one after I learn how to make a bead the "traditional" way.
As for the inventor making money off it, uh, isn't that the idea?
Old 2006-10-07, 2:16pm
Meow.

Gosh, I hope this does not sound snotty because every time I say it in my had, I think it does. But, SOME people look at my beads/jewelry and say, 'Yeah, but what's your profit'...in the same vein, I used to look at jewelry at some street festivals and walk away thinking 'I could make that.' Now I am more of the vein - I wish I thought of that! This woman in my area makes incredibly beatiful jewelry with paper photos rolled up. Gosh, the beads are so simple and the mark-up is insane...however, her idea was brilliant - she sells the photo in tact on a postcard, with the piece - and the who package is just beautiful and original and I would not think twice about spending the money on one of her pieces. I see the same sort of thing here - Scott thought of it and made the idea come to life...and the tool is amazing -- isn't he supposed to get a mark-up? I mean, I'm betting (percentage-wise) that his mark-up on his EMS is less then the 'mark-up' on your average set of beads.

For the record, I've never thought I could make the EMS -- but before I bought one, I too thought about cordless drills, screwdrivers, my dremel, flexshaft and the like...however, when I saw the EMS in action, I quickly understood that it was not just something to spin a mandrel.

Go on. Click it!

Yes. We. Did!
Old 2006-10-07, 8:18pm
Mitzy

Yeah, I never thought I could make one, but I did think, that would be great when I was having my classes! I don't think the price is outrageous or anything and even if it was, what the market will bear and all.
He has a right to make a living.
I know some people seem a little grumpy about the whole thing, "if you can't spin a mandrel, get a different hobby", etc. Sort of like saying, "if you can't walk without a cane, stay home" I think.
just my ignorant, newbie opinion
Old 2006-10-08, 5:48am

Never said the man don't deserve a living; but I said it seems simple enough that I thought maybe the simplist of things like a cordless screwdriver set could give you the same effect.

Another thing I really don't think is approproate in a message board of this nature is for people to be sharing there political beliefs unless its in a proper forum. I really hate seeing things I disagree with and think maybe others do too. (Even if its a part of a signature, its posted whereever you post)
Old 2006-10-08, 7:07am

I have one and I use it to lay down a base bead. It speeds up the process and I love mine.
I think you have to try one to know why an electric dremel or drill will not work. This tool is made for your mandrel and has spin control. Without the speed control how could balance a round bead?

I love mine and I think it is worth every penny. I think it paid for itself in just a few weeks by saving time with laying on glass with larger beads. And my wrists were not as tired.....

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2006-10-08, 9:06am

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewdawn
Another thing I really don't think is approproate in a message board of this nature is for people to be sharing there political beliefs unless its in a proper forum. I really hate seeing things I disagree with and think maybe others do too. (Even if its a part of a signature, its posted whereever you post)
You can turn off signatures you know. I think you go to your preferences. I don't remember.

Old 2006-10-08, 11:41am

I have looked at this tool previously and it seems very appealing but I can't figure how I could use it. So, if someone could answer this question I would appreciate it.

When I make beads I only have the mandrel spin a full rotation when I am laying down glass otherwise I am constantly rolling it back and forth a half turn to keep it warm or centered. It seems like I am constantly switching between the two. Would this tool work in this instance?

Laura
Old 2006-10-08, 11:46am

The tool is pretty kool; from what I understand, you can stop it too. It makes it easier so that you don't have to keep rolling your with your fingers.