LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2006-10-26, 3:11pm

Default are warnings really necessary?

i've been seeing more people adding warnings on their sites and e-bay listings... things like, "this is glass. if it breaks, it can cut you". i know that we live in the good ol' u. sue. of a., but is it really necessary to protect oneself in this way?
Old 2006-10-26, 3:35pm
Shine your bright side!

I don't think so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Website!
"When you discover your mission, you will feel its demand. It will fill you with enthusiasm and a burning desire to get to work on it." - W. Clement Stone
Old 2006-10-26, 3:36pm
"Sinners have soul too"

better to be safe than sorry... there's always going to be some dumb @ss that hurts themself some how and goes running to the courts crying stupid

Old 2006-10-26, 5:08pm
Certified Glassaholic!

I believe this started because someone actually got sued (case thrown out eventually I think).

What does it hurt to have a warning?

And, aren't most warnings we read on stuff just about the dumbest things you'd ever think of and wonder who'd ever do something like that? But, apparently someone out there was dumb enough to do it hence the warning.

Old 2006-10-26, 5:49pm

I agree with Yee. I heard that an artist made a glass ring and whomever it was sold to was in a car accident and it cut/severed the finger. The lawsuit was thrown out..I don't know how true this story is..I put the warnings in my auctions..can't hurt. I also include that they could be choking hazards from children under three.

Old 2006-10-26, 6:17pm

Yes an artist *was* sued when a buyer wearing a glass ring was in a car accident & the ring broke & cut their finger badly. Yes, they artist's insurance did fight for them & eventually won the case & that's when a lot of sellers started putting the warnings in their auctions.
The thread on WC where the artist announced this:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230697

BUT--if you don't have INSURANCE & you're SELLING (& especially if you own anything like a home!) you're not doing yourself any favors--because even the cost of a lawyer to represent you in such a lawsuit could run you a small fortune.

I put choking hazard warnings on all my children's jewelry (as well as not for under age 3 tags), a break-away link in all bracelets & necklaces somewhere (never all soldered jumprings--I *want* those to break if they get caught on something & not break someone's wrist or choke them!) & generally try to anticipate possible scenarios that could create hazards in advance.

A thread on "protecting ourselves" over @ WC
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230709
Old 2006-10-26, 7:47pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

Speaking of warnings? My peanut butter jar says..."Warning! This product may contain nuts!"

OMG I sure hope so!!

Old 2006-10-26, 7:48pm
I'm the 1000th poster!!

BTW, have you ever seen the warnings on a curling iron? Some examples?

"Never use while sleeping" (Someone did?)
"Never place into any body part" (WTH??)
"This item gets hot!" Nooooo? Really?

Old 2006-10-27, 1:05am
Glass Jack in the Box

Look at some instruction manuals for older printers and even some electronics.

Positively STUPID shit written in there. Like:

"Do not use in rain, wet conditions, or where there is water."

"Do not use when there is a fire or hot condition in, on, or near this device."

"Do not use when device is sparking, sparking is badness." (YES, lousy Japanese-to-English translation, I kid you not!)

On a more humorous note: older Sunprinters and certain other printers would spit out an error message if it caught on fire:

ERROR: Printer on fire, shutting down....

Sun knew about it because there were hot surfaces within the printer, and sometimes the printer would accumulate enough paper dust in those areas to actually catch fire.

PondRacer
Old 2006-10-27, 2:30am
a pox upon an idiot :..

I would NEVER advertise a warning in my auction or anywhere else I sell. Whenever I see people who do I automatically think they are trying to cover themselves in one way or another. I was going to list reasons, but let's just say I won't bother, too many other people to purchase from.

Have all the insurance you want, but if you don't specifically have "Product Liabilitly" insurance, you are not going to be covered by a claim where your product actually harms someone.

I feel that in the unfortunate situation that some idiot harms themselves wearing a piece of my jewelry, I'm gonna go to court and take the chance that a jury of my peers will also see that this person is an idiot.

I carry all the regular insurance, but would never advertise it. It's like car insurance, of course you have it.

Edie
Old 2006-10-27, 4:29am

To each his/her own but if you're ever in the hotseat lawsuit-wise as Jenn was, you will be glad you covered your tushy with the warnings and the insurance coverage. It's your house. It's your bank account. It's your life. It's your choice. What do you choose to do?

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2006-10-27, 6:51am
ManBearPig

It's sad that in this day and age we need to put warnings on everything. But, unfortunately, there are people out there that will sue at the drop of a hat.

Always better safe than sorry.

Old 2006-10-27, 7:17am
Shine your bright side!

Advertising a warning doesn't protect you and make you any safer from a law suit. You can still be taken to court. The ommission of a warning that glass breaks doesn't automatically mean you are guilty of any wrong doing. It doesn't mean you are negligent. Just like if you do issue a warning that doesn't mean you are automatically protected because you aren't. People that will sue you are going to do so regardless if you warn them or make them sign a waiver. There are laws about frivolous lawsuits that will protect you in such cases.

If someone feels the need to place warning labels about glass beads in their auctions or advertising so they feel protected that's a good thing for them to do, although, nothing protects you from having a law suit filed against you.

Website!
"When you discover your mission, you will feel its demand. It will fill you with enthusiasm and a burning desire to get to work on it." - W. Clement Stone
Old 2006-10-27, 7:41am
ManBearPig

No, nothing protects you against someone. But it may discourage someone, and I think that's worth a few extra key strokes.

Old 2006-10-27, 10:32am

I carry all the regular insurance, but would never advertise it. It's like car insurance, of course you have it.

Edie

Bwhahaha.. Don't know where you live, but I can say that 80% of Washington has car insurance once a year.. That's when they renew their tags.. OMG I NEVER heard of so many people who are willing to take the odds on an accident..

Facebook

Blogger
Old 2006-10-27, 2:56pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

The only warning I have on my auctions is:

"Caution: Beads are not meant for infants and small children as they can be a choking hazard. Play safe! Thanks!"

The reason why I have this is because someone once bid on my auctions that made NEWBORN & INFANT bracelets with lampwork beads. They got outbid but the prospect that this person could've won my auction and then my bead could've made it into the mouth of a child later...well, I have too much of a conscience for that!

Seeing as I have 3 children, anyone who is putting ANY beads into jewelry for small children is just asking for a choking incident. We had a two-year old die here last year at a daycare center because he swallowed a plastic bead and choked. Not to mention the four year old that died this year from lead poisoning off of a Reebok?/Nike? bracelet with a charm that he swallowed.

So some of you snort in derision...oh well. And yes, I do realise that as soon as the beads are in the hand of the buyer they can do whatever they want to with them but my warning is not to cover my ass...it's to get someone to stop and think about how kids, beads/dangly bits, etc. don't mix.

Old 2006-10-27, 3:11pm
Shine your bright side!

Snort in derision? What an unfounded comment to make in a thread where so far everyone has politely and maturely added there POV to the question posed.

Website!
Old 2006-10-27, 3:12pm
Shine your bright side!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo
No, nothing protects you against someone. But it may discourage someone, and I think that's worth a few extra key strokes.
I wonder how many buyers think about that.

Website!
Old 2006-10-27, 3:39pm
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Bonnie, I felt that from Starr's posting for sure. You're inflecting more attitude into my post then was intended and perhaps I did the same with Starr's post. I apologize.

Old 2006-10-27, 4:11pm
Shine your bright side!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Naos*
Bonnie, I felt that from Starr's posting for sure. You're inflecting more attitude into my post then was intended and perhaps I did the same with Starr's post. I apologize.
Oh, no apology required. *snort*

You know I didn't really snort, right?

Website!
Old 2006-10-27, 4:25pm
One of the Booger 7

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by PondRacer
Look at some instruction manuals for older printers and even some electronics.

Positively STUPID shit written in there. Like:

"Do not use in rain, wet conditions, or where there is water."

"Do not use when there is a fire or hot condition in, on, or near this device."

"Do not use when device is sparking, sparking is badness." (YES, lousy Japanese-to-English translation, I kid you not!)

On a more humorous note: older Sunprinters and certain other printers would spit out an error message if it caught on fire:

ERROR: Printer on fire, shutting down....

Sun knew about it because there were hot surfaces within the printer, and sometimes the printer would accumulate enough paper dust in those areas to actually catch fire.

PondRacer

so -- my new box of hormone patches -- hysterectomy last week -- says not to use if you become pregnant -- my mom and i laughed long over that warning!

Old 2006-10-27, 4:33pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Speaking of warnings.....

For what it's worth, I've been waging a mini-pissing match with the
folks at Firemountain Gems over their pewter charms.
Many of the pewter charms and findings they are selling contain
lead (example: http://www.firemountaingems.com/deta...p?PN=H204570MB ).
Granted, they do have a warning that says

"Please note: This product is pewter which contains varying contents of lead.
It is not suitable for children."

However, the person buying it would have to pass that warning on to their
jewelry customers, and someone looking to use cheap components for quick-sale
stuff (notably, for childrens and teens jewelry) is most likely not going to do that.

Every teenage girl I know likes to "chew" on their jewelry. If it's not their hair or
their pencils, it's their jewelry. The potential for lead poisoning from some 12 year
old chewing on a pretty necklace her mother picked up from some swap meet is
pretty high - and NO amount of lead is good for developing children.

I've posted stuff about this on other jewelry forums, and I'll post it here too.
There's plenty of lead-free pewter products available, no reason why they
should carry stuff like this.

End of rant. Carry on.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Last edited by Karen Hardy; 2006-10-27 at 4:45pm.
Old 2006-10-27, 4:59pm
Shine your bright side!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Hardy
Speaking of warnings.....

For what it's worth, I've been waging a mini-pissing match with the
folks at Firemountain Gems over their pewter charms.
Many of the pewter charms and findings they are selling contain
lead (example: http://www.firemountaingems.com/deta...p?PN=H204570MB ).
Granted, they do have a warning that says

"Please note: This product is pewter which contains varying contents of lead.
It is not suitable for children."

However, the person buying it would have to pass that warning on to their
jewelry customers, and someone looking to use cheap components for quick-sale
stuff (notably, for childrens and teens jewelry) is most likely not going to do that.

Every teenage girl I know likes to "chew" on their jewelry. If it's not their hair or
their pencils, it's their jewelry. The potential for lead poisoning from some 12 year
old chewing on a pretty necklace her mother picked up from some swap meet is
pretty high - and NO amount of lead is good for developing children.

I've posted stuff about this on other jewelry forums, and I'll post it here too.
There's plenty of lead-free pewter products available, no reason why they
should carry stuff like this.

End of rant. Carry on.
I agree...I always look for lead-free pewter and will ask if it doesn't state one way or the other. Kids of all ages do like to put stuff in their mouths.

I'm surprised leaded pewter is still allowed.

Website!
Old 2006-10-29, 2:18am

By putting warnings, arent you actually lining yourself up for some trouble by basically admitting that there is a (potential) problem in your product?

Kind of like the "Beware of the dog signs" ie you wouldnt warn people about the dog unless you knew it was dangerous and by placing the warning admit you knew it was dangerous.

Unless a warning is mandated by law or other regulation - or is placed after specific advice by legal practitioners I think you could end up helping the ambulance chasers instead of blocking them.
Old 2006-10-29, 3:19am

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Naos*
Amber, first off, I couldn't understand this quote, even though I went back several times. I think that you advertising to your customers about children getting hurt with beads, comes through that you care about children and that they might have, again, my word, " idiot parents" , who don't know how to regulate what their kids put in their mouth. That's great.

These were not the people I was addressing, and PLEASE don't associate my opinions with Bonnie's.

I just wanted to point out that if you are stupid and want to sue me because you, (I mean this on a generic basis), are stupid enough to not regulate things in your life that are so freakin obvious, so be it, I'll take my chances in court.

Edie
Old 2006-10-29, 3:33am

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Glass_Bash

Edie

Bwhahaha.. Don't know where you live, but I can say that 80% of Washington has car insurance once a year.. That's when they renew their tags.. OMG I NEVER heard of so many people who are willing to take the odds on an accident..

Arlene, I can relate, I'm in NY and it used to be that all you had to do was pay the first payment on your car insurance and get the card and register your vehicle for the whole year. You could just bounce from one insurance company to the next and still have your car registered every year even though after the first three months, you didn't have insurance. That was many years ago. Now the law is that if you get stopped without valid insurance, you get hit with big time fine, BIG time. It used to be that if your inspection was overdue, they gave you a 10 day thing to get it inspected, not no more. It's a 250.00 fine straight up. Man, we used to be able to buy those stickers for 20.00 bucks. NY is hard core about anything that takes away money from the state.
Old 2006-10-29, 4:01am
Formerly known as LT

My insurance company requested that I post warnings with my beads. I think it is better to be really in the right because you just don't know who might try to eat your glass!!! I do think they are worried more about children but that is what they want.
Old 2006-10-29, 9:05am
Etch Fiend Organic Junky

Ah ok, Starr, then I definitely read your post wrong the first time - thanks for the clarification!

Old 2006-10-29, 9:21am
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Perhaps instead of warnings, we could call them "don't be stupids" and post signs on that vein.

As in:

DON'T BE STUPID - BEADS AREN'T FOR TODDLERS. IF YOU'RE DUMB ENOUGH
TO GIVE BEADS TO A 3 YEAR OLD, PLEASE DO NOT BLAME US FOR THE CONSEQUENCES.

and

DON'T BE STUPID - GLASS IS STILL GLASS, AND WILL CUT YOU IF IT BREAKS.
DON'T WEAR GLASS RINGS WHILE PLAYING RACQUETBALL.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2006-10-29, 9:35am
Shine your bright side!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrr
These were not the people I was addressing, and PLEASE don't associate my opinions with Bonnie's.

Website!