No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2005-06-11, 11:33am
Administrator

Default Share your tips!

What have you learned?? anything from how to store your rods and stringers to how to make sure your bead has great ends.

Tips from newbies or from experiences lampworkers are welcome, everyone has something to contribute!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-04-07, 3:41pm
Triumphantly Knit!

I have learned that the people here are generous, wise, funny, and willing to help.
I have learned not to personalize and have some patience, things are not always answered right away.
I have learned that if I interpret someone's reply to me as harsh, it could be the way I read it and dialogue heals my ego's sensitivity.
I have learned that PPP needs PPP.
I have learned that I am addicted to this and I never want to stop.
I have learned that safety is paramount.
I have learned everything needed to know about lampwork, some other things, and I am grateful for this forum.
I have learned that donut round and round are not the same thing.
I have learned to use the advanced search feature.
I have learned that this is a close knit community and that the people who have been here longer than I, really care about each other and like to have fun.
I could go on and on.
oh, and I have learned that there are really good threads at the end of the thread line.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-04-07, 8:15pm
Back to 👊 1

It's good to see that I'm not the only one to goes to page one!

But really?

Six years and you are the only one to post in this thread?

That's too funny!

Don't make me cranky, I WILL "chuck a tanty!" a la PerfectDeb

Old 2011-04-07, 8:32pm

Rowyn - You are so right and I agree with everything you said especially about this forum community. I'm so glad I found this wonderful place and people.

What I've learned is to start mixing it up with the silver glasses. I was using single colors and expecting them to do something. Not so much.. lots of mud.... I'm still experimenting but at least I'm not just wasting my silver glasses anymore.

One of my new combinations that I learned here is a base of Clockwork (and it's cheap) with the Lt Brown Transparent/Iris Gold stringer. Finally some amazing color. Yea!!

"Whether you believe that you can or believe that you can't, you're probably right." Henry Ford
Old 2011-04-07, 8:52pm
Entropy increasing....

Don't reach in front of the torch.
Old 2011-04-07, 9:03pm

Learn heat control and you can make anything.

Old 2011-04-07, 9:04pm

Oh, I've never done that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
Don't reach in front of the torch.

Old 2011-04-07, 10:59pm
offically down under

Don't buy cheap nasty glass shocky glass thinking you're getting a bargain. It called a false economy. Spend a bit more and get glass that is compatible with other glass in the same coe.

Last edited by tammydownunder; 2011-04-08 at 3:24am.
Old 2011-04-08, 5:37am
Ready to hit the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
Oh, I've never done that
I have, and it wasn't pretty.

Old 2011-04-09, 8:23am
Triumphantly Knit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammydownunder View Post
Don't buy cheap nasty glass shocky glass thinking you're getting a bargain. It called a false economy. Spend a bit more and get glass that is compatible with other glass in the same coe.
What is cheap nasty shocky glass? I've seen this mentioned before and I'm not sure what it is.

Certain effetre whites are, as Shawnette once said, frit on a stick. But they aren't cheap.

Please explain.

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-04-09, 1:32pm
Happy Glass Girl :)

my Lips are not a Third Hand... umm once wasn't good enough I had to learn this one twice

Old 2011-04-09, 5:04pm
THE PEN IS BLUE!!!

When making a tube bead, start with 2 small donut shapes, and marvler tham down to what you want the tube to look like, then just add more donunts on the end and repeat. Its much easier than just slathering all your glass on there then trying to get it perfect. This also helps your ends to start out nice

Old 2011-04-09, 5:07pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

Label your special rods at the very least. Made a few beads out of Psyche, thinking it was BLACK.
ouch.

Old 2011-04-10, 4:19am

Have a Fire Extinguisher handy and alert your neighbors to call the fire department ONLY if they see/hear you running out of the studio screaming Big A$$ Fire.
Old 2011-04-10, 4:53am
Peerless Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellyloo View Post
Label your special rods at the very least. Made a few beads out of Psyche, thinking it was BLACK.
ouch.
I am sooooo laughing here! I picked up what I thought was a rod of clear--it was Aion. AAAAH!

Old 2011-04-10, 5:13am

I've learned not to light a torch when my mind is preoccupied by other stuff.
Joan
Old 2011-04-10, 8:22am

Search to the ends of the earth for a really good clear that makes you happy!

Label your rods. I've also confused Psyche with black. I'm still not good about labeling them. What I have done with Psyche is reduce the end when I'm done using it for that bead, so it will be distinguishable from black by it's pretty, reduced end!

You can make a quick stringer off the end of your mandrel while you're making a bead. Just heat the rod and stick it to the unused part of the mandrel and pull into a stringer. Don't take too long or your bead will crack! I've gotten so good at this that I am able to wave my bead in the flame while I'm pulling the stringer! This tip is handy for those of us who decide to make something else mid-bead and suddenly need a stringer.

Old 2011-04-10, 9:49am

In theory I agree with the labeling, I just wish I was better at it. I'm horrible, but I have bought a labeler and that helps.

You can do lots on a HH, I was on it for a long time and made some of my prettiest beads.

A Kiln is the only way to make stable beads. You need to anneal.

Don't look at your bead too long, to see what it looks like, before putting it in the kiln.

Don't shake the bead release until you double check the lid is tight.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2011-04-11, 12:19am

So true about the bead release, Lara! LOL

Old 2011-04-11, 3:43am
Nerwbie Glass Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrdlebp View Post
It's good to see that I'm not the only one to goes to page one!

But really?

Six years and you are the only one to post in this thread?

That's too funny!
I thought the funniest thing was that the original poster is now a moderator - at least the lack of response didn't put her off posting on the forum .

Old 2011-04-11, 9:57am
one day at a time

For the best evenly round bead shapes use a Smircich tail stock holder and check at eye level while you rotate to round it up. I can't imagine making a bead without it.
Old 2011-04-11, 11:19am
Oinky Oink!

Make sure to wear clothing that won't melt from hot flying glass unless you like having holes for ventilation.

Christy
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. ~Oscar Wilde
Old 2011-04-11, 11:24am
Hobby Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisi View Post
For the best evenly round bead shapes use a Smircich tail stock holder and check at eye level while you rotate to round it up. I can't imagine making a bead without it.
Great! Now I have to google this to find out what the hell it is!

On the other hand... my husband was glancing over my shoulder and said "Oh my God! What kind of forum are you on???" He mistakenly read the title as "Share your tits". Well, that would be on a completely different room in the forum and would probably have been started by David instead of Corri. LOL! Men... atleast you know where their brain is at all times.

Old 2011-04-11, 1:07pm
Oinky Oink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaBean View Post
Great! Now I have to google this to find out what the hell it is!

On the other hand... my husband was glancing over my shoulder and said "Oh my God! What kind of forum are you on???" He mistakenly read the title as "Share your tits". Well, that would be on a completely different room in the forum and would probably have been started by David instead of Corri. LOL! Men... atleast you know where their brain is at all times.
LOL.....
So funny!

Christy
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. ~Oscar Wilde
Old 2011-04-11, 3:03pm
offically down under

Quote:
Originally Posted by irjc View Post
What is cheap nasty shocky glass? I've seen this mentioned before and I'm not sure what it is.

Certain effetre whites are, as Shawnette once said, frit on a stick. But they aren't cheap.

Please explain.
I'm talking about glass made in Asia (not CIM) Sure, there are some colors that are shocky regardless of the brand. But, for a newbie to learn on shocky glass that has some compatibility issues, in the long run, it would be cheaper just to buy consistent quality glass when it is on sale or in the garage sale.

Old 2011-04-11, 5:07pm
dances with ideas...

Smircich tail stock holder

You can make something that can serve the same purpose by making a thick paddle on the end of a boro rod, then poking a mandrel-size indent. It might not be as good, but the price is right.